Sunday, July 08, 2007

The Sometimes Best Ever Sometimes

This is our second installment of a new feature called: “What in the hell is this manager talking about?” A couple of weeks ago, we featured Royals' manager Buddy Bell explaining, well, something about his team’s confusion and inability to hit Jon Garland.

Today, we have Yankees manager Joe Torre talking about Derek Jeter’s defense.

You would have to say Jeter is unique in baseball history in this way: There are people who think he’s an absolutely terrific defensive player and others who think he’s an absolutely awful defensive player. I’m not sure any one player’s defense has created such a wide gap of opinions. Omar Vizquel, maybe. Andruw Jones, maybe. Luis Aparicio, maybe.

I would say the Jeter gap is larger. Jeter has won three Gold Gloves. And there are respected baseball people – friends of mine – who have spent a lot of time studying him and believe he’s the worst defensive shortstop in the American League. Some think he's the worst ever.

My own personal feelings tend to lean toward the latter – in my view, he’s always been a below average defensive shortstop. He does that neat jump throw thing from the hole, which is fun to watch and sometimes compensates for his below-average shortstop arm. On the other hand, I’ve seen balls skip by him that couldn’t have been more than three or four feet to his left. He’s fairly steady – doesn’t make too many errors – but he’s brutal on the double play. He’s alert, and he has an excellent knack for making a big play. On the other hand, he just doesn’t get to many balls (though his range factor is up again this year). All in all, I’d rather have him at second base.

But he’s such a good hitter that the Jeter halo effect glows brighter than Times Square. Today, Newsday has one of those periodic stories that will appear in the New York papers, the one where Jeter's supporters fight back against those nasty “numbers” and “defensive statistics,” and explain that his brilliance often goes undetected. This is rich, by the way, the idea that anything good that Derek Jeter does could possibly go undetected. When Jeter kicks a rock, there are three stories in the New York papers about how he’s cleaning up the streets.

Still, it’s a perfectly legitimate and entertaining story with perfectly legitimate and entertaining opinions. Defense is a mysterious racket. There are very smart baseball people who think Jeter’s defense is good.

Then we get the quote from Torre.

He says Jeter is, “as good as I’ve ever seen going out there and sometimes making acrobatic plays.”

OK, seriously, what the hell does that mean? I’ve read in 20 times, and I still have no idea. Is he saying that Jeter is as good as he’s ever seen at making acrobatic plays? No he can’t be saying that right? He managed Ozzie Smith. But look again: He’s not saying that. There’s the precious placement of the word “sometimes.

See, Jeter is as good as he’s ever seen at SOMETIMES making acrobatic plays.

So let’s see how this works in other scenarios:
-- Angel Berroa is the best I’ve ever seen going out there at sometimes getting a hit.
-- George W. Bush is the best president ever at sometimes speaking eloquently
-- Phil Mickelson is the best golfer I’ve ever seen at sometimes winning a tournament.
-- Shaq is the best basketball player I’ve ever seen at sometimes making free throws.
-- Carrottop is the best comedian I’ve ever seen at sometimes making me laugh.

Actually, you can cross out the last one. Carrottop has never made me laugh. Hey, I realize that Joe Torre needs to stand up for his player. And Joe is a pretty straightforward and honest soul, so he has to know deep down that while Jeter can (and often does) rise to the moment, he’s fairly blah every day at shortstop. Torre said what he had to say. But it’s pretty funny anyway.

If you see a classic manager's quote, send it along to postmaster@soulofbaseball.com.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Kansas City Royals are the best I've ever seen at sometimes winning a World Series.

Anonymous said...

ESPN is the best sports network I've ever seen at sometimes broadcasting sports news.

Anonymous said...

Gloria Squitiro is the best political spouse I've ever seen at sometimes making her husband seem rational.

Anonymous said...

Classic manager quotes that make sense:
Tom Lasorda:
""What's my opinion of Kingman's performance!?"

Sparky Anderson to Kirk Gibson moments before hitting a homer off of Goose Gossage:

"He don't want to walk you!"


Billy Martin on Reggie Jackson and George Steinbrenner:
"The two of them deserve each other. One's a born liar, the other's convicted."


Casey Stengel:
"The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided."

Mike Hargrove talking about the 1998 Cleveland Indians:

"I have a good feeling about this club. But that could be gas."

The Tao said...

Nothing 'sometimes' about this blog... always fantastic. Thanks for keeping it going.

Anonymous said...

Foreigner is sometimes the best band I've seen at not totally sucking.

Anonymous said...

Paris Hilton is the best celebrity at sometimes being clothed.

Scott Bergquist said...

"No guy ever plays tired because of (performing) sex the night before a ballgame. It's staying up all night looking for it that hurts 'em".

paraphrasing the remarks of the remarkable "KC" Stengal... who got the nickname "Casey" because of playing in Kansas City.

Anonymous said...

Posnanski is the best I've ever seen at never writing a bad column.

ASMR Review said...

Bad manager quotes have to includes some of Sparky Anderson's absurd player comparisons. "Torey Lovullo is the next great thing!" And his insistence that Howard Johnson will never be anything. Boy Sparky was a great manager, but a horrible evaluator of talent.

Anonymous said...

I give you Jim Tracy:

“There's a lot of things that go into the equation in formulating a team, the way the pieces fit and complement each other. Character has always been an important issue with me. It goes hand in hand with chemistry.”

“He made a very good pitch to Linden. In other circumstances, it's a bat that's broken in half and a soft single to right field, but as a result of the sacrifice bunt that followed a walk, it was a game-winning hit.”

“The language in there, I think, is fairly telling as far as his opinion of what occurred there, and how it occurred, and what action we should or should not have taken,”

ASMR Review said...

Buddy Bell is the best manager at sometimes winning. 42% of the time in fact.

Anonymous said...

I was sometimes the best pitcher at not giving up long mammoth home runs into the left field lodge or mezzanine in the Astrodome. I was also sometimes the best at cleaning up the entire post game spread in under 5 minutes. Hell, I was ALWAYS the best at that!

Anonymous said...

Jeter himself had an interesting quote... Baseball Prospectus had it in their "this week in quotes" column. It sounds (mostly) like a "um, computers say I suck, so computers must suck." Except he has a point about the complexity of defense in baseball - perhaps why it's been so hard to construct a good metric for it.

I'm a Yankee fan, and a Jeter fan as well, even knowing his limitations. "Past a diving Jeter" happens. Lots. We forgive because of his hitting, his effort, his awareness... but you don't have to be a "stat-head" to notice his range is poor, especially to his left. The couple of over-the-shoulder catches of popups per year don't compensate for that. The .300+ average and ~.380+ OBP do.

There aren't many SS's in baseball I'd rather have right here & now (this season only), if any, even with his poor defense. What gets irritating is that some people have to make him out to be even more than he is, when what he really is is a great player. That's frustrating.

Anonymous said...

Benito Santiago can be the best at blocking balls in the dirt he can't reach.

Anonymous said...

I was sometimes the best at treating Pam Postema and female reporters with respect.

Zach said...

Another Stengel quote: "If you've got four first basemen, you've got no first baseman."

Anonymous said...

It wasn't playing in KC that got Stengel his nickname; KC was his home town.

He also had the single best line about roster construction: "If you don't have a catcher, you're going to have a lot of passed balls."

Anonymous said...

Is it too late to put A-Rod back at short and Jeter at third? This will never happen, of course, but it seems like A-Rod makes a lot of errors on balls hit right at him. He doesn't have the reflexes.