Friday, July 27, 2007

Bloggy Friday: An Offer You Can't Refuse

OK, we’re going to try something bold, something a little crazy, something that I will undoubtedly regret even before I get to the end of this sentence. Yep. I already regret it.

But it is true that I have gathered fielding info on every starter in baseball. It isn’t something I set out to do … it’s just as a voter for the Fielding Bible, I’ve gotten quite a bit of info. I have the typical fielding stats, of course – range factor, zone rating, etc. But beyond that, I have the intensive Fielding Bible stats, which I will use to rank the fielders but I will not reveal right now (I only have them for voting purposes). I also have various mini-scouting reports from people I know who are scouts/reporters/executives/players around baseball.

So, at the end of this ranking-the-best-fielder series I’m doing (I’m estimating that it should end sometime in the middle of next week, after my appearance on the Leonard Lopate Show), I’m thinking about doing something for you, the brilliant reader, a gift in appreciation of you buying the book. I will rank any player you ask about, based on the numbers I have, the scouting reports I have and my own personal beliefs.

Here’s how I was thinking of doing this (and please feel free to offer a different suggestion): I will create up a blog item called, “Rank your favorite fielder here.” And then you can post you comments – “How would you rank J.J. Hardy?” “Where does Derrek Lee rank?” “How could you ignore Alex Gonzalez?” And so on.

And I’ll do the best I can to answer based on what I know and what I’ve got.

In exchange, of course, you stragglers have to buy the book. Heck, buy two, they’re small. Let’s get that Amazon number into triple digits.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be reading your book as soon as Amazon remembers that I exist, so any year now.

He's been racking up assists like crazy, but you're certainly more qualified to tell that I am. How has Mark Teahan handled the transition to the outfield.

Anonymous said...

How bad is carlos lee and what do you think of his contract

Also, how do ichiro, torrii hunter, and andruw jones compare?

Anonymous said...

Seriously, the book is great. See my review of it for the Orange County Register.

Anonymous said...

You should have named the book "Buck O'Neill and the Monarchs of Fire". Probably would have sold more copies.

Unknown said...

How is Bill Hall adjusting in CF? I'm sure the metrics aren't too kind right now, but how is the scouting report on his adjustment?

Nate P. said...

Where does Nick Punto rank among third basemen? He seems pretty highlight-reel-prone, even if he's a Belanger-esque offensive liability this season. (After seeing Brian Buscher go 2-for-4 yet try to handle a bad hop like a catcher blocking a wild knuckleball, I'm wondering if we can put those two in the Brundlefly machine -- though with our luck, it'd probably go bad and we'd wind up with Scott Leius.)

ajnrules said...

How would you rank Greg Maddux? The guy has won 16 Gold Gloves and makes a lot of the plays, but how great is he really? And heck, while we're at it, how would you rank Roger Clemens?