Friday, July 27, 2007

Shortstop: Adam Everett

There is this sense among older baseball fans that people just don’t care as much about defense as they used to. There’s also a sense that nobody can bunt nowadays and nobody catches the ball with two hands and the pitchers these days can’t throw strikes, and why is it that nobody appreciates the value of a dollar anymore, a dollar is a lot of money, and don’t get me started on those kids with their hair and the rap music and the tattoos and that Britney Spears dancing in those skimpy devil clothes and …

Oh, wait, sorry, got lost for a second.

(Speaking of catching the ball with two hands, Thursday in San Francisco I saw someone hit a long fly ball left field, and Barry Bonds chased it down, reached out his glove hand, caught the ball, and then used his left hand to make sure it did not pop out of his glove. In other words, 43-year-old Barry Bonds, the scourge of middle-America, the scapegoat of the Steroid Era, the guy Bud Selig was reportedly hoping would get hurt, caught the fly ball precisely the way fathers teach their children. And I could not help but imagine a Dad watching the game with those children, seeing Bonds catch the ball that way, and then swallowing hard and pointing at Barry and saying, “See Bob and Julie. That’s the correct way to do it.” I can’t imagine there will be another scene quite like that on this chase).

Anyway, the point of this is that an older generation of baseball fans is more or less convinced that defense is simply not appreciated the way it once was, and I have to say they may be right. Take Adam Everett. He is a defensive marvel at shortstop. Last year, when we did the first Fielding Bible Awards – ten people voting the top 10 players at each position – Everett almost scored a perfect 100. He scored higher than anyone else at any position. He is, unquestionably (in my small circle of baseball friends, anyway), the best defensive shortstop in the game.

And yet, nobody in the grand scheme of baseball seems to notice this. Or they notice but they don’t care. Everett has never won a Gold Glove (while Derek Jeter, again, has won three. Oh Justice, Sweet Justice, where art thou?). There always seems to be talk coming out of Houston that Everett will be traded (but he never is because nobody else seems to appreciate his defense either). His job always seems on the line.

All of this (including the Gold Glove snubbing) happens because Adam Everett can’t hit a lick. He’s one of the worst everyday hitters in the big leagues as his lovely lifetime 69 OPS+ demonstrates. The Astros do keep playing Everett despite his offensive impotence, which says something good about his defense, but they seem do it only grudgingly, sort of the way the Dread Pirate Roberts kept Wesley as his valet (“Good night Wesley. Good work. Sleep well. I’ll most likely kill you in the morning”).

The truth is that Everett bears a strong resemblance (as a player) to Mark Belanger.

-- In his career, Belanger hit .228/.300/.280. Everett has hit .247/.299/.357.
-- In his career, Belanger had an OPS+ of 68. Everett, as mentioned, has a 69 OPS+.
-- Both were very steady defensive shortstops who made all the plays.

But Belanger, unlike Everett, was sort of hero of his time. He won eight Gold Gloves. He was constantly being praised. He was the ultimate, “That’s how you play the game, Son” player. Why? It seems to be me Belanger had three distinct advantages:

1. He played in an era when runs were precious.
2. He played for a manager in Earl Weaver, who not only appreciated the value of defense but was creative enough to maximize his talents and minimize his weaknesses (this was in the era of eight and nine man pitching staffs, when managers had many more pinch-hitting and platooning options).
3. He played behind a world-class pitching staff and for teams that always won.

Because of these things, Belanger became an icon. It also didn’t hurt that every so often Belanger would have a sort of decent offensive year – in 1969, for instance, he had a .357 on-base percentage. He did have had a few scrappy offensive talents. Sure, Belanger had absolutely no power, and after 1977 he hit .204. But he would get you a walk now and then, and he famously had some success against the hardest throwers (he hit better than .600 against Jim Kern, he hit .421 against Goose Gossage. I’d always heard he hit Nolan Ryan well too, but apparently that’s a myth – he hit .244 against Ryan).

Everett, meanwhile, plays in an offensive era, in an offensive park, for a team that annually seems to have trouble at some point scoring runs. He doesn’t walk. He strikes out quite a bit. And, it might be worth mentioning, that he doesn’t play SMOOTH defense the way Belanger did. He’s terrific, and he’s got a great arm, but aesthetically, well, he doesn’t make the plays look very pretty. Maybe this matters. I don’t know. And I should also say I don’t know if you can have a good-defense, no-hit shortstop in today’s era and win. People I know in baseball seemed split on it.

In any case, Everett been out for weeks with a broken leg and will probably be out for a while longer. He’s only played the 63 games. But taking everything into account, I still think he’s the best defensive shortstop in the game. And I think had he played in the 1970s for Earl Weaver, he probably would have been better appreciated.

I can tell you that I watched Troy Tulowitzki play three games against the Royals, and I left feeling entirely ambivalent about him. I don’t mean that I ambivalent about how he played. I’m saying that I barely even noticed him. If someone had asked me after that series, “Hey, how good is Troy Tulowitzki defensively?” I would have had to say, “Um, no idea.” This is why I think finding defensive statistics that you can trust will be so helpful – unless a player makes a series of good plays (or one that stands out) or, conversely, makes a few terrible plays (or one that stands out), well, who the heck notices the defense of Troy Tulowitzki?

But his numbers are absolutely sensational. He goes out of his zone to make plays. He is terrific inside his zone. He has the highest range factor in baseball, he has turned more double plays, he has made only six errors. All in all, he’s probably the best defensive shortstop in the game right now, but I need to see him do it for the whole year before I jump him over Everett.

Best defensive shortstops so far (in order):
1. Adam Everett
2. Troy Tulowitzki
3. Omar Vizquel (still!)
4. Jack Wilson
5. Jason Bartlett

Worst defensive shortstops so far (in order)
1. Hanley Ramirez
2. Derek Jeter
3. Brendan Harris
4. Felipe Lopez
5. Jhonny Peralta

15 comments:

Cathie said...

It irritates me to no end that Reds fans constantly criticize Alex Gonzalez, whom I would put in your top 5 in place of Jack Wilson. He's had some troubles this season, but surely his kid being sick has affected his concentration. I wish baseball fans would have a better appreciation for defense. You shouldn't have to dive all over the place to get noticed. (In fact, Reds fans think Ryan Freel plays great defense. I maintain that he just doesn't know how to read balls off the bat and has to dive to make up for his judgment errors.)

Unknown said...

I mentioned this earlier, but Juan Uribe's D has really fallen this season. I imagine most seaons he would be in the top 5 (maybe top 3). Remember when he upstaged Everett in the 05 series? The last 3 plays he made in Game 4 were spectacular.

Tom said...

Yes! Alex Gonzalez! Where's he on the list?!

I've heard, through the press, quite a few major leaguers who played with Gonzo, claim that he is the best defensive shortstop ever. E-ver.

Unfortunately I haven't been watching him this year, so I don't know how he's been doing lately, but certainly he deserves a mention somewhere besides the comments section.

He was smooth! He was always in position! He had range!

AND he was one of the smartest fielders I've ever watched. I never saw him commit one, not one, mental error at any point of any game in the field. Not one.

He was a pretty smart baserunner too.

-t

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I've never seen Hanley Ramirez play, but he's been a favorite of mine ever since he came up. I always blindly defend him as the superior SS in Reyes-Ramirez debates, citing their defensive talents as a wash while giving Ramirez the advantage in the majority of the offensive categories (aside from steals). I assumed they were both above average defenders. How far off am I? Is Ramirez really a brutal defender?

Tim Lacy said...

One problem with the empirical evidence versus statistics debate, per your Tulowitski example, is that one three or four-game series might never show the most flattering side of a player.

For instance, in the 3-game series just completed between the Cubs and Cardinals, Pujols had one hit - a homerun in the 3rd game after the series and the game was decided (series for Cubs, game for the Cardinals by a Chris Duncan grand salami). I recall one good play by Pujols at first base in the 3-game series.

So, relatively speaking, Pujols wasn't that impressive. Obviously we all know differently. - TL

PS - As someone who follows the NL Central, Everett has always impressed me.

PSS - What if we ~only~ ever let pitchers vote on Gold Glove awards for the 3 positions most important to them: catcher, shortstop, center fielder? How would their votes differ those here, or all of our personal favorites?

Anonymous said...

The stats actually show that Belanger did hit Nolan Ryan well. He hit .244 off Ryan. But his career average was .228, which means he hit this particular Hall-of-Famer better than he hit the average pitcher. Furthermore, Nolan Ryan had a career batting average against of .204, and Mark Belanger hit 40 points higher than that against him.

Unknown said...

Joe,

If you can, would you tell this Brewers fan where JJ Hardy fit in?

Tim Walker said...

Living in Texas, I see a fair number of Astros games on t.v. I'll join the chorus and say that Everett is a good one from my anecdotal experience. It's less about noticing eye-popping plays, and more about *never* thinking "So-and-so would have made that play." It's either catchable and Everett catches it, or else it looks uncatchable.

Okay, now please pardon me while I flog one statement you made, the logic of which always makes my teeth grind: "And I should also say I don’t know if you can have a good-defense, no-hit shortstop in today’s era and win. People I know in baseball seemed split on it."

A general point and a specific one:

1. What you're saying makes total sense when you're talking about the standard types of players you expect to see these days at the shortstop position. There are the big(gish) dudes who in theory pound the ball (A-Rod, Jeter, Crosby, et al.) and the "classic" shortstops - smaller, visibly quick - in the mold of Rey Sanchez. Sometimes you get crossovers like Reyes, who's bigger than he looks. *But* . . . I always bristle at the notion that you "can't have" a certain type of player at a certain position.

An example of what I mean: In 2004 and 2005, the Angels went to the playoffs with a whiz-bang defender but light hitter playing first base for them. By the book you "have to" have a slugger at that position . . . except you don't, if you can make up for it elsewhere. Now, I think the Angels could have done *better* than to keep Erstad at first during those seasons, but it's at least one data point that contradicts the idea that you "can't have" a light hitter at first. It's probably an obvious point, but some teams hit so well across their lineup that they can easily afford to give the last spot in their lineup to a Belanger type. Similarly, a truly loaded lineup can play one bad defender (e.g. David Ortiz at first base) every day, and still pound the tar out of their opponents anyway. Neither Ortiz or Erstad are what you'd ideally have in a first baseman, and Everett or Belanger aren't what you look for in modern shortstops. But you *can* win with them.

2. Everett has suffered, in my opinion, because he's always hit in Astros lineups that had two, if not three, #8 hitters in them. Based on whatever notions of loyalty, theories of roster construction, or what have you, the Astros have consistently played Everett and Ausmus at the same time, often along with a centerfielder who also couldn't hit. Everett as an acknowledged #8 hitter on a good-scoring team - a guy clearly kept around for his A+ glove - would make sense. But in a lineup that always seems to be a bat and a half away from putting fear into opponents, his offensive inadequacy - especially as a #7 hitter - is exposed.

MikeKatzif said...

Joe ...great series this week in the blogs and great columns in the Star as well.

Best line I've read all day:

"The Astros do keep playing Everett despite his offensive impotence, which says something good about his defense, but they seem do it only grudgingly, sort of the way the Dread Pirate Roberts kept Wesley as his valet (“Good night Wesley. Good work. Sleep well. I’ll most likely kill you in the morning”)."

Your knowledge of pop culture references is only bested by your knowledge of baseball obscura, but when you combine them for both comic relief and to make a perfect point about someone as underappreciated as Everett is great.

Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

How do you leave Alex Gonzalez off that list? He's the best SS I have ever seen...it was a travesty that he didn't win the Gold Glove last year.

Rob Moore said...

I heard great things about Furcal before he came to the Dodgers. Now that I watch him every day, I think he's spectacular but inconsistent. His arm is unreal, though.

Cesar Izturis was great a few years ago, but he seemed to slip a bit after his arm injury. I have no idea how good he is now.

Anonymous said...

Living in San Diego and getting to see Khalil Green play every day I'm very surprised he isn't in the top 5. He makes plays that absolutely amaze me and he seems pretty solid on the routine plays as well.

p.s. I asked my wife for your book as a birthday present (my birthday was last Thursday) and she came through. What a joy to read. I am looking forward to my day off tomorrow so I can relish the last half of the book. If I had to use one word to describe 'The Soul of Baseball' it would be 'inspirational'.

Anonymous said...

I really love Yuniesky Betancourt.

I'm glad to see Tulo get some love, I was a huge fan of my team (the Brewers) drafting him. Though now I guess I'm glad they didn't since they got what appears to be a top 10 player in Braun, but regardless I still like Tulo a lot.

Question Mark said...

Joe, I'm reading this post a year after you wrote it and I had to bring up Toronto's John Macdonald. He is certainly the best defensive shortstop in the AL and has to be one of the top three in the game. In his 3+ years in Toronto, he has made probably half of the 10 best plays by a shortstop I've ever seen.

Just like Everett, however, Johnny Mac can't hit. He's actually even a worse hitter....Macdonald is .238/.278/.314 career to Everett's .247/.298/.356. Macdonald is such a poor hitter that the Jays signed David Eckstein and even the legendarily mediocre Eckstein is an upgrade with the bat. It's unusual that the AL seems to have less patience with having a poor hitter in the lineup than the NL does. You'd think it would be the other way around --- the NL teams would think "Well, we're already basically giving up an out with the pitcher, so we can't have two easy outs in the same order," whereas the AL logic would be "Well, we have a slugging DH already, so we can afford to have a no-hit good-glove guy in the nine-hole."