Sunday, July 15, 2007

A Boras Client ...

The Star’s excellent young baseball writer Sam Mellenger wrote a very good story today on Royals No. 1 draft pick Mike Moustakas, who (by his quotes) seems to want to play professional baseball very much. The story says Moustakas never even thought about being anything other than a baseball player. That’s how much he loves the game. He’s using wood bats now, and he can’t get enough hitting in. A scout told me he plays with the kind of joy and intensity you only see in the very best.

We’re talking about one baseball-loving kid.

Still, I’d say at this point it’s, at best, a 50-50 shot that the baseball-loving kid will sign. The Royals do not seem willing to pay much above slot (slot money for the No. 2 overall pick is $3.1 million). Meanwhile, Moustakas’ agent is Scott Boras – wink-wink, nudge-nudge, say no more. We all know where this is going. There’s no way Boras will voluntarily sign the No. 2 pick in the draft for anything approaching slot money.

(“Slots are things you see in the mail room,” Boras said. I’ve heard him say that before, but it’s still pretty amusing. The guy has style – he’s sort of the Peter Lorre of sports agents).

(Put another way: If Mike Moustakas was willing to sign for slot money – which ain’t chicken feed, by the way – he could have hired anyone. He could have hired ME. I could have gotten him slot money, and I can’t even negotiate a free dessert when a waitress dumps Coke on me by mistake. You don’t hire Scott Boras to get you slot money. You hire Scott Boras when you want to turn the team upside down and shake the loose change from their pockets).

In the article, Moustakas’ father (Mike Sr.) brings up the name Matt Harrington. Everybody does these days – Harrington has become the poster boy for wasted opportunity. You probably know the story: Harrington was the stud pitcher coming out of high school; he was offered something like $4 million by Colorado (it wasn’t a straight $4 million, if I remember correctly. It was a complicated deal and also a very contentious negotiation where nobody even wanted to pick up the dinner check). Harrington turned it down, went back into the next year’s draft, was offered $1.2 million, turned that down, lost his fastball, etc. By the time I talked to Matt he was making like $12 bucks a month for the Fort Worth independent team.

(It should be said that Matt’s original agent was not Scott Boras – Matt signed with Scott later).

Last year, I went down to spend some time with Harrington in Fort Worth. Two things really struck me about Matt.

1. I really liked him; he seemed like a good guy who realizes he made a mistake and, at least outwardly, will not punish himself for the rest of his life.
2. He says that he felt powerless during the negotiations.

The second thing was a real eye opener. I mean, it seems clear from afar that while you hire an agent to handle things, it’s still your career. It’s your life. And there’s no way that you should allow your agent to make the biggest decisions. Right? But while this seems obvious from afar, it’s not quite so obvious for an 18-year-old kid who has 50 people talking at him all at once. Who do you believe? Who do you trust? What do you do? Are people lying to you? Are you worth more?

I can tell you from my own relatively insignificant financial dealings with my literary agent that these are complicated questions. My agent knows the book business – I don’t (as this Soul of Baseball blog that isn't about the book points out). He understands how it all works – I don’t. I trust him implicitly because I think he’s good, because I like him, because he’s been there before, because he seems to have my best interests at heart and, finally, because he’s the guy out there fighting for me. You can only imagine that in baseball, among young players, those feelings are multiplied many times.

In Matt’s case, his agent believed that promises were broken. The agent passed along his anger to the Harrington family, the family began to have bad feelings about the Colorado Rockies, negotiations were poisoned, and things spiraled downward from there. This is not to say that Matt doesn’t bear responsibility. He does. He told me that if he could do it all again he would have told everybody, “Enough! This is more money than I ever dreamed of making. Sign the deal and let me play ball.” But that was a 24-year-old man talking. At that time he was an 18-year-old kid. And he let his financial future be ruined.

Scott Boras adds another ingredient to the mix. He’s an intimidating guy. He’s intimidating because of his big reputation and successful history. And he’s just plain intimidating. When he tells you, “They’re trying to screw you here,” you will believe him. When he tells you that you DESERVE more than they’re offering, you will believe him. When he says that he will get you a lot more money and for a much better team, you have no choice but to believe him – he’s done it over and over and over again.

A few years ago, the Royals offered shortstop Rey Sanchez an unbelievable contract; I mean this word literally – you would not believe how much the Kansas City Royals offered Rey Sanchez. It was something like $11 million for three years. Sanchez had his weaknesses, of course. He has a lifetime .334 slugging percentage, for instance. He never walked. And I don’t know that I ever saw him dive for a ball. But he did have his charms; Rey as a shortstop had amazing, Velcro-like hands, quartz precision accuracy on his throws and in his three years in Kansas City, he was the best I ever saw at turning the double play.

Anyway, the Royals made him this ludicrous offer, and Sanchez/Boras turned it down. The Royals, fed up, traded Jermaine Dye for Neifi Perez (ouch) and dumped Sanchez on Atlanta. The next year Sanchez became a free agent, nobody wanted him, and he signed a measly one-year $700,000 deal with Boston. The next time I saw Sanchez was in Puerto Rico; he was working out. He wore Royals shorts, asked me to put in a good word for him with Kansas City management and cursed Scott Boras’ name.

(Boras would later say he encouraged Sanchez to sign with the Royals, but Rey wanted to test the free agent waters. Knowing Rey’s disposition, this is not entirely implausible. But the balance of history points to Boras being the culprit here).

Point is, Rey Sanchez wouldn’t stand up to Scott Boras and he was more or less an adult. What chance does an 18-year-old kid have of going against Boras’ will? Luke Hochevar briefly walked away from Boras last year when negotiations with the Dodgers stalled. He hired another agent who worked out a deal. But in the end, Hochevar went back to Boras. And in the end (as is most often the case) Hochevar made a lot more money.

So what will Mike Moustakas do? I don’t know. I suspect he will follow Boras' lead, and if the Royals don't pony up then he will go to USC for three years (or perhaps go to a community college and re-enter next year's draft). There's nothing wrong with this path -- this is America. Look: Scott Boras is the best in the business. An agent’s job is to get his clients the best deal, and that’s what Boras does. I don’t blame anyone for signing with Boras. I don’t blame anyone for getting as much money as they possibly can get.

BUT, I do believe this: When you sign with Boras, it seems to me that you relinquish the right to play the “I love baseball, and I would play it for free,” card. I don’t have any doubt that Mike Moustakas lives to play baseball, just as Sam’s article says. But, plainly, he doesn’t love it enough to play it for anything like $3.1 million. That’s why he hired Scott Boras.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder how much of that is parental pressure. I'm not sure if you know this, but parental pressure holds a ton of weight with kids and young adults. It seems to me as if parental pressure dominated the decision to hire Boras more than anything. I hope that Moustakas can get a deal done because I like this kid. But am I the only person who thinks that by signing with Boras you are literally selling your soul for cash?

Anonymous said...

There's no doubt (not much, anyway) that hiring Boras was a decision made by Moustakas' parents. Why would a 17 or 18 year-old ballplayer (as opposed to a major league veteran) care much about who his agent is?

In some ways, you can't blame the parents; they believe (as do many others) that their son is a very special talent and they want him to be paid accordingly. I suppose it would be similar to hiring a powerful agent if your child was a talented musical prodigy, etc. But Boras takes it to a whole other level.

Clearly this kid loves to play ball and hopefully a deal will get done at the 11th hour (you know it won't happen before that with Boras). You would think the Royals wouldn't have drafted him if they weren't confident that they could sign him.

Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to a pitcher named John Burke? I remember he was the Astros top pick in 1991 (I think) and he didn't sign. Later he was a first round pick again, but never made it. I think his agent was Bob Sugar.

Anonymous said...

I find it interesting that come draft time, or free agent season, you see various teams say they won't deal with Boras, or draft player X because Boras is his agent. In the draft especially, the kid falls from a top 3 pick to the end of the first round. And then the kid still gets top 3 money. I'm amazed by this. Boras must have naked photos of general managers or use Jedi mind tricks or who knows what. Hopefully, Moose signs on the dotted line--hate to throw away the #2 pick in the draft.

Seth Feldkamp said...

Doesn't hurt the Royals much at all to not sign Moustakas in my opinion with the rule change. We'd get the #3 or at worst #4 overall pick (if TB didn't sign Price either) in next years draft in addition to whatever regular draft pick we get (looks like top 10 or top 5 at this point). Since baseball for small market teams is all about bringing up a core group of young affordable players all at once, I'm fine with that.

Boras has lost alot of leverage with this rule change by MLB and I love it. Moustakas will sign for only a little above slot I think.

Kevin said...

I could have gotten him slot money, and I can’t even negotiate a free desert when a waitress dumps Coke on me by mistake.

I think you want dessert, with two "s". Otherwise, the problem may be that you're asking for a little bit too much...

Anonymous said...

Dessert, two esses, because you always want more!

Matt [redacted] said...

Talking about parents reminds me of when Justin Verlander was negotiating with the Tigers. He was very close to going back to classes or whatever it is that officially means you're officially out of the mix until the next draft when his father stepped in and said, "Hold on".

I always had the impression something similar to what was described with Harrington was happening and his father put a stop to it. As a Tiger fan, Justin's dad is number three or four on my list of favorite dads.

Jon Liepmann said...

It's easy to deal with Boras, you just have to put on your Boras translater (like those things they use at the UN).

Mostly, you just change every 'you' to 'I' or 'me.'

They are trying to screw you here. = They are trying to screw me here.

You deserve more money. = I deserve more money.

Of course, the translator has one tiny hiccup in it...the translation does not work with the following sentence...

"If these negotiations don't work out you are screwed...I still have ARod looking at 30+ million next year."

Take the slot money Mike. Pitch well. Then you'll make mega-millions and be so popular you'll get Mike-lash. Mike-lash, Mike-lash, Mike-lash.

Anonymous said...

So the Royals will possibly get another pick next year to draft another player they won't sign? Fantastic.

Chris Dankberg said...

I don't like Scott Boras. He's not fixing injustice in the sport. But most of these guys are "worth" more than slot. And my guess is that Moustakas is going to wind up being a heck of a player. Just ask the Padres, who paid slot for Matt Bush, and passed up on Verlander and Weaver. Some talent is better than others, and most of the better talent winds up with Boras' company in the draft.

Ryan said...

" But, plainly, he doesn’t love it enough to play it for anything like $3.1 million. That’s why he hired Scott Boras.

Amen.

jsk said...

In response to Chris: why wouldn't an 18 year old kid want the best agent in the business to represent him? It has a bit more cache than a new pair of Jordans, I might note. People know who Scott Boras is, and a graduating high school senior knows that if Boras wants him, he must be a good ballplayer, and will likely soon be a very wealthy ballplayer. I personally have no problem with Boras whatsoever. Some teams refuse to deal with him. Some players miss their window because Boras tries to get too much money. But the Royals turned a profit last year, as did all teams in MLB. There is a ton of money to be had, and to be spent. The Royals were praised for "spending to get Meche" in the same way Detroit was lauded when they acquired Pudge. If they want this kid, and he can help make the Royals a playoff team again, they'll have to pony up. If they don't think he's worth paying for, then they're ridiculously stupid for drafting him. Face it: what kid in his right mind would want to play for KC? If you make it to the majors, Buddy will probably ruin you by benching you and letting you "learn" by watching folks like Mike Sweeney (this is how you get hurt/rich and ruin your team), or Emil Brown (this is a league average player; after sitting here for the next few years, it's what you'll be if you're lucky), or Joel Peralta (Yes, yes, I know that you could be the next Greg Maddux, but we need you in the pen), or Mark Grudzielanek (this guy won a Gold Glove! All you've done is steal bases, have a career OPS close to .800 and be selective at the plate. Did I mention that this guy won a Gold Glove!). Unless the new crop of youngsters is able to drive the franchise forward together, Dayton turns out to be as talented as advertised, and Buddy gets the axe, you'd basically be signing on for a bad team, to play games to small crowds, and to be mismanaged and possibly ruined by Buddy Bell. Or, you might be really good, play for a while in relative obscurity, while Joe (bard that he is) makes you immortal, and then be traded for Neifi Perez and a tin of Copenhagen. I think I might ask for a bit more money, myself. And I think I'd feel like Boras could get it for me.

Anonymous said...

"You don’t hire Scott Boras to get you slot money."

When he hired Boras, wasn't Moose still viewed as a mid first rounder? The slot money at #2 looks a lot better than it does at 18. The kid will sign.

Anonymous said...

Joe, the owners just decided that slot money for a sports writer at a Kansas City newspaper is $22,000 a year. If you don't think that is enough, I bet you would have a heck of a career as a McDonald's counter person. (And this is not intended in any way as an insult, I love everything I have read by you, especially the book (The Soul of Baseball, available at fine bookstores everywhere);it is intended as an comment on the lack of a free market for baseball players.

Anonymous said...

Some Boras clients sign quickly and for slot. Tyler Green and Mark McCormick both did. Maybe Boras tried to talk them out of it, or maybe the kids and their parents told him what they wanted to do and he did it. He works for the player, not vice-versa.

One of MLB's few outright marketing successes is the diversion of blame for big contracts from the owners and GMs who sign them to the agents who negotiated them.

It always reminds me of a line from North Dallas Forty, Tooz teeing off on a front office type: Every time I say it's a game, you say it's a business. Every time I say it's a business, you say it's a game.

Anonymous said...

slot money is for draft picks, not free agents. you cant say that there is a lack of a free market for baseball players in general, when this is really only about draft picks.

Anonymous said...

Of course there is a lack of a free market for baseball players. Moustakas can't even negotiate wityh another team to see what his market value is. The sad part for the owners is that the lack of a free market for free agents has driven the price of all players higher. If a team wants a big time pitcher in the free agent market this year, they have a choice of......basically, Carlos Zambrano and C.C. Sabathia. I am guessing that will help inflate their value. Once he signs, then all the pitchers eligible for arbritation will use the amount he is paid to argue their value, bnased on how they compare to Zambrano and Sabathia. What would happen to their value if Santana, Hamels, Verlander, Becket, Peavy, etc. were also on the market. There was a story in Marvin Millers amazing book "A Whole Different Ballgame (sorry, Joe) about a negotiating session with the owners to discuss the new rules after an arbitrator ruled that the reserve clause actual meant what it said, as opposed to be a license to practice slavery. Charley Finley got mad and svreamed "just make them all free agents". Miller said he got real quiet and looked arounbd the table to see if any of the other owners knew what he had said-when the other owners ignored Finley, he breathed a sigh of relief and went back to negotiating a system where you create a lot of bidders for a very limited supply and then tie everyone elses wages to that market. He knew the owners were so arrogant and angry that they had not even noticed how badly they were getting beat-the sad part is that no onners have figured it out yet.

Anonymous said...

He knew the owners were so arrogant and angry that they had not even noticed how badly they were getting beat-the sad part is that no onners have figured it out yet.

That part of the book made me smile with glee. They weren't about to listen to a single thing Finley or Veeck said.

The slotting system combined with close monitoring and threats from Selig's office is having the same effect collusion had on free agents in the late '80s. Allan Simpson reports signing bonuses are down again.

Anonymous said...

Boras is poison----haven't the Royals (and every other team) learned that this guy is ruining the game? Other than A-Rod and a few others, every one of his clients is an overpaid disaster. JD Drew anyone???????

Anonymous said...

How is the game being ruined? More attendance, more revenue, media sources willing to pay billions, the only teams buried are those that willfully employ morons or pursue cheapskate strategies. Every year since 2000 has seen a new WS champion.

I guess things would be better if owners were still making billions but putting 98% of it in their own pockets.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure Boras is ruining the game, but his client roster is a who's who of busts, has beens, and never was - type guys. His wiki page has a link to the list. Outside of A-Rod and Beltran, if you avoided him and his clients altogether, you'd be much better off and probably a much healthier person having avoided all that stress.

Anonymous said...

That wiki list is incomplete, and you could still field a great team from that unfinished roster:

SP, DiceK
SP, Derek Lowe
SP, Jered Weaver
SP, Kenny Rogers (hurt now, dominant last year). If you don't want him, Greg Maddux.
SP, Scott Kazmir

C, IRod
1b, Prince Fielder
2b and SS are the weakest spots on that list, without looking to see if he has any other clients at those positions you'd have to go with Eric Patterson and Stephen Drew
3b, Arod
OF, Magglio Ordonez
OF, Carlos Beltran
OF, Andruw Jones

DH, Mark Teixeira

You could also field an all-bust team, but he's not mesmerizing teams into paying a lot for bad players. He also gets them to pay a lot for great players. Again, not all of his negotiations are brutal. Greg Maddux signed with the Padres with no stress. I don't think his previous contract with the Cubs was a problem, either.

Anonymous said...

@ tom waits...

That all Boras team would have a payroll of like 2.3 trillion dollars. I kid, I kid.

Anonymous said...

Actually, it would be in the Anaheim payroll region. Substantially less than Boston or the Yankees. 5 of the players are at or near-minimum. You'd have to use cheap players for backups, but that team still wins 110 or more games.