Saturday, July 28, 2007

I Can't Wait For Us To Be Crappy Again

Today’s absurd comment doesn’t come from a manager but instead from Giants’ managing general partner Peter Magowan. On Friday, Magowan said what many people are feeling – he will be happy when this Barry Bonds chase ends. As far as I can tell, every human being on the planet feels this way and also dolphins.

(It’s true: A recently recorded voice sample of an Indo-Pacific Bottlenose Dolphin was translated to roughly mean, “Well, I don’t care what anybody says, I think there should be an asterisk. The guy cheated, plain and simple. What do you think about this? We’re going to take your calls after the break but first, do you need new gutters? I had my gutters redone by GutterPro, and I’m thrilled.” This proved to scientists that dolphins may not be as intelligent as we had once hoped).

ANYWAY, while Magowan’s overall thought – “I can’t wait until it’s over” – matches up with the rest of civilization, his reasoning is a bit, let’s lovingly call it, “insane.” Here’s the full quote:

“I can’t wait until it’s over. I think we’ll start winning more consistently when this is behind us.”

OK, there are two things to be said about this quote.

1. It’s probably not quite accurate. The Bonds really began in earnest a week ago Friday in Milwaukee, and since then the Giants have won 5 of 8. I realize this is not exactly the Giants Win the Pennant news, but for this Giants team 5 victories in 8 games is something close to a modern miracle. They’re not going to win MORE consistently than that with this team unless meteors hit 24 or 25 major American cities.

Caveat: It is possible, I realize, that Magowan might consider this whole dismal Giants year part of the “Bonds chase,” in which case he should just flog himself because he knew what was coming when he signed the guy.

2. It’s not impossible – improbable yes, but not impossible – that Peter Magowan is unaware that this Giants team is a total and utter disaster. So let me be the one to break the news. I mean, have you looked at this team? They have 35-year-old Dave Roberts with his .327 on-base percentage in the leadoff spot – and he’s signed for another year. They’ve got 35-year-old Rich Aurelia with his .290 on-base percentage signed for another year. They’ve got Randy Winn on some ridiculously pricey contract, they’ve got Ray Durham signed through 2008 (I believe), every single position player starter is 32 or older and the Barry Zito contract might be the worst in baseball history. And this guy is worried about the Barry Bonds homer distraction?

There are only two good things about these Giants. One, they have some young pitchers – Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum, Noah Lowry - who are pretty fun to watch. And two, they have some guys you haven’t heard from in a while. It’s sort of like coming upon an old-timer’s game. You’ll be going along, and suddenly you will see someone and say, “Hey, there’s Ryan Klesko! I haven't thought about him in years. Good for him, he’s still playing the game. Good for him. Hey, there’s Russ Ortiz. That’s nice that he’s still trying …”

Updated: The Giants won again Saturday night with a comeback in the bottom of the ninth. That's six wins in nine games. The Barry thing is definitely helping this team, not hurting it.

13 comments:

Sam said...

well, now, Randy Winn is no hot shakes, but he's also not one of the disastrous parts of this team. His OBP and SLG look pretty much like Ichiros in 05 and 06, though without the speed... or defense. And he only costs about $8 million, which is probably what he'd get on the open market. You'd have to climb past Feliz, Benitez (we're still paying his salary), Vizquel, Steve Kline, the lack of offense from any corners besides left and the idiotic third base coach to start complaining about Winn.

BUt your point is well taken.

jsk said...

The Giants may well be the most boring team in baseball. Magowan's deluding himself. The Bonds chase is the only reason to watch this team (other than Lincecum). Watching Cain is too painful, as you know he has to throw a shutout to get a non-decision, and if he gives up more than zero runs, it's a loss. (Utter non sequitor notice: The Twins are rapidly approaching most boring status as well. They have 5 guaranteed outs in their line-up right now. WTF? I know young pitching is the most valuable thing in baseball. But, the Twins are literally oozing with young pitching. And right now they're wasting a lot of that talent losing 2-1 ballgames, and falling further out of contention. The fact that they won't swap a Baker or a Slowey or a Perkins (why did they have him in the bullpen during the rotation "experiments" beginning this season again...?) or one of the studs in AAA/AA/A ball to get a corner outfielder is absurd. Johan is my favorite player in MLB. I watch every start. And I'm going insane because as soon as he gives up a run, I know he's going to lose.). Why on earth did the Giants extend Sabean, by the way? If it's because he's roping in great young pitchers, then the Zito contract is even more unconscionable. It can't be for his trading ability, as he's been fleeced far more than he's held the sheers. Joe, have you gotten a sense of this during your interment...?

Anonymous said...

I know this is somewhat off point but...

Isn't the real story about the Barry Bonds home run chase that the public no longer regards Hank Aaron's mark as one of the holiest record in sports?

Maybe its just my failed perception, but it seems that between the steroid issue, generally, and the fact that a large number of people loathe Barry Bonds, the meaning and importance of that record has diminished tremendously.

And this is what hurts baseball in the long term.

Jim H. said...

Hambone on the Twins:

Correct you are, sir! It took The Miracle of Jacobs Field (Tyner's first major league home run) for the Twins to win last night, and Santana, who struck out 12 in seven innings, didn't even get the victory. And the GM's upgrade to the offense so far is to bring in a AAA third baseman even Twins fans have never heard of.

Anonymous said...

I saw that clip on ESPN and laughed. It was such an obvious and pathetic attempt at making an excuse for the terrible team that he put together. He's knows as well as anyone how bad his team is, and knows equally well that it's his fault. But instead of taking responsibility, he spinelessly put the blame on Bond (his best and most productive player!). It's just so ridiculous.

jsk said...

Not to hijack the comments here, but I want to say a couple of other things about the Twins/Santana. What's especially frustrating about Santana, and how he's been handicapped by the Twins, is that when I watch the Twins play, and my Comcast package gives me the others teams' crews, they always talk about how Santana is having a down year. Mostly because they're too lazy to look beyond Win/Loss totals. And Santana has "lost" far more games this year than is usual for a pitcher of his dominance. It looks like maybe another 16 win season, and no Cy Young for Santana. What's especially insane is this. The Twins want badly to keep Santana, but what pitcher in his right mind would want to sign on for more of what he's experiencing right now. I can't imagine how much stress he's under knowing that if he gives up 2-3 runs, he's going to lose. A pitcher of his skill-level wants to win every game. Period. And he's got no chance at that whatsoever. Jake "6.50 ERA & Climbing" Westbrook was in a groove against the Twins. All he had to do was avoid hanging a pitch to Mauer/Morneau/Hunter, and he had 6 guaranteed outs (re: >.600 OPS hitters) in a row. If I'm Johan, I look around the league at guys like Carmona or Beckett or Wang, who know that > 4 runs = Win and I say give me offensive support. If Ryan won't do it, he's insuring Santana's departure. I'm not saying trade Garza & Manship for Russell Branyan or Nomar. But someone like Kenny Lofton (who the Tribe wisely gobbled up, despite his surly clubhouse presence) who gets on base, has some pop, and steals at a great rate would've really helped this lineup. And you saw what Cleveland had to give for him: a Single A catcher with a long swing, replete with holes, and poor defensive skills. Or Wigginton, who can play anywhere on the field, save pitcher/catcher, has some pop in his bat, and is strangely similar to Cuddyer, who would've cost them one middle reliever. It just doesn't make sense. Their core, aside from Cuddyer, are all healthy and producing. But they're being stripped to the bones by their pirañas. Let's hope Garza really is a true #1, because he has to be: a 3.50 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, and 200+ Ks will get him a season like Nolan Ryan during the Astros era. Blyleven himself, as he broadcasts these games, should definitely identify. He never had much offense behind him either. If he had, he'd be in the HOF...

Jim H. said...

Hey, Joe, where you goin' with that pen in your hand...

Mr. Hambone has just handed you a juicy topic for some future column. Why isn't Bert "Bertin'" Blyleven in the HOF?

ajnrules said...

I'm pretty sure Joe's also befuddled that Bert isn't in the Hall of Fame, but on the topic of the Hall of Fame, it's good to see Denny Matthews being honored yesterday with the Ford C. Frick award.

Josh said...

Let me tell you something, Joe: that line about watching the Giants being like coming upon an Old Timer's Game? Perfect. My sentiments exactly.

Jon Liepmann said...

Lost amid all this Barry talk is the fact that you've jumped in blog total from a 15 to 25 average monthly to a whopping 40! Now we know that you explained this already, but I can't help but be a little suspect of some hanky panky...a little performance enhancing substance perhaps? A dictionary? A thesaurus? Let's just hope you are not still on the road at the end of the month so you can officially set your monthly blog record at home...doing it on the road could have dire consequences for baseball...haha.

PS. I realize I may have overlooked your 24th blog of the month bringing you into 2nd all time on TSOB for monthly blogs...Omar Vizquel probably owes you a kiss for that one.

Jon Liepmann said...

sorry, 22nd not 24th.

wcw said...

Magowan used to puzzle me, back when I thought his money might have come from some sort of management skill. He did run Safeway for some years.

Instead, it appears Magowan's skills lie elsewhere. His grandfather was Charles Merrill of Merrill Lynch, who had been an 'early investor' in Safeway. His father had been its chairman & CEO.

Nepotism hires, in my small experience, don't actually understand the difference between skilled and unskilled people. They can't allow themselves to. If they did, they'd understand that they themselves don't deserve their money, power and fame, and that is a tall order to ask of any man. We humans like to believe we're good at what we do.

So for Magowan to spout inanity like this is par for the course.

I can't hate him, though. He saved the team from St. Petersburg, and he was instrumental in acquiring Bonds. Those two good decisions make up for the morass of bad ones since.

Anonymous said...

wcw,

The Giants were consistently good from 97 to 04...an eight-year span in which they made four postseason appearances and came within six outs of a World Series title. The truly bad decisions more or less began after the '02 World Series....before then, you'd probably say Magowan/Sabean was one of the best owner/GM tandems in the league.