A Weird ESPN Moment
We have our third rivalry coming up tonight sometime, I hope, but first I have to mention something I saw on ESPN last night that I could not believe. I think it’s apparent to all that ESPN is now bigger than the Beatles, bigger than most Third World countries, bigger than U.S. Steel. When you get that big, that dominant, that overpowering, you become the bully, and that’s a tough transition. ESPN began as this fledgling network that few thought could work. And through persistence, wit, a little creativity, a lot of expansion and a remarkable sense for what the sport fan craved, ESPN became this monolith.
None of this is necessarily bad -- it's a glorious time to be a sports fan. ESPN gives you all you could ever want. Well, there is one bad thing: It seems no one at ESPN appreciates that the game has changed. ESPN still wants to see itself as that cutting edge, trendy, fan-first network that goes against the establishment. Except now ESPN IS the establishment. Hey, that’s the price of success. That quirky and semi-funny “back-back-back” thing that Chris Berman used to do has now become the single most annoying thing on television, and I’m including Rachael Ray here. You would think friends would tell Berman to stop, for his own sake, but I guess at some point you can reach that level of fame where your friends are mostly just afraid to tick you off. It’s a shame, though, when a good friend can’t just walk up to you at a family barbecue and say, “Chris, these are great burgers. Hey, listen, while we're just talking, lose the nicknames. They suck. Hey, this is me talking, Chris. Albert “Winnie the” Pujols? Are you kidding with that crap? Stop it, now. Come on, man, I love you, but you have to stop.”
It isn’t just Berman. A lot of the shtick has just gotten old. Inevitable, I guess. Even the self-reverential commercials that were so funny a few years ago now more or less suck. LeBron James is working in the ESPN office. I get it. ESPN is so big they can get LeBron James to do commercials. I get it. Not funny.
Again, I just think this is the natural way of things. ESPN still has so much great stuff. They have some terrific writers on the Web site – Sports Guy still makes me laugh, they have a bunch of good columnists – they still have some great analysts on television (I’m co-President of the Ron Jaworski fan club), PTI is still fresh on those rare days when I see it (which admittedly isn’t many, but that’s not their fault), I think Baseball Tonight is still fun to watch even if I don’t have much use for the panelists individually (the sum is greater than the parts, as they say). And so on.
But the point of all this was to discuss one thing I saw on ESPN last night. It was on SportsCenter, (I think -- all their shows look like SportsCenter) and the host started talking about Indianapolis coach Tony Dungy, because as everyone knows the NFL season NEVER ends. Every other day, it seems, they will show some highlight of LaDainian Tomlinson as a tease to some apparently big news story about him. What could it be? Is Tomlinson going to hold out? Is he going to retire? Did he save a family and a cat from a fire? Then they come back and report an exclusive story: ESPN has learned that LaDainian Tomlinson is awesome.
Anyway, the host talked about Dungy and then some guy came on the screen, some new guy (I think), and he (I still can’t believe this) ranked the best and worst drafts in the NFC West. At first, I was confused. I thought, “OK, why is some guy in July ranking the best and worst NFC West 2006 NFL Drafts?” And then it hit me: He wasn’t ranking the 2006 drafts.
He was ranking the 2007 Drafts.
In July.
Before they played a single regular season game.
Before they played a single preseason game.
Before they went to training camp.
Before some of them (any of them?) have even signed.
I watched this five minute feature in absolute wonder. I realize that on the day of the draft, you will have the instant analysis, who did well, who did poorly, everybody gets a report card, etc. It’s stupid, but it’s part of the deal. But here it’s three months after the draft, and nothing has happened, and nobody has played, nobody has really practiced (I’m not counting those spring practices) and this guy was telling us plainly that San Francisco had the best draft, Arizona had a really good draft too, and he talked about the players as if they were established stars … it was one of the most bizarre things I’ve ever seen. I don’t blame the guy who did it – I mean, he did the best he could, I’m sure. I’m sure some poll shows that fans want NFL Draft analysis in July. And for all I know, he might be right.
But don't you think when we're ranking the draft before training camp begins that, just maybe, we've gone too far? This to me is like when conferences have coaches and writers vote on the "preseason newcomer of the year."
I just wish sometimes we could go back to those days when, I don’t know, we watched the games and then analyzed them. But let’s be honest: You can’t go back. You can only go back-back-back.
12 comments:
Bingo! Seriously, someone needs to tell Chris Berman, Stuart Scott, et al that they aren't the show. I can't believe anyone (someone please) hasn't told Berman how old and tired his schtick is--how he ruins events like the Home Run Derby (which is hard to do) and makes serious events like the U.S. Open come off as clownish when he reports.
Spot on Joe. And I loved the reminiscing about baseball when you were ten. It brought back many of the same memories for me. I start every call to my nephew with "You know when your Daddy and I grew up they didn't have Sports Center." Like our parents did with televisions and the like. Cracks me up every time.
I agree 100% about Berman. He's the worst. You forgot to mention his greatest line of all time though - "You're with me, Leather." Great stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27re_with_me%2C_leather
You can tell that this guy is a gasbag and is so full of himself that one day he'll explode like the Hiddenburg. Until then, we are forced to turn on the mute button anytime he's on. Why doesn't ESPN hire any guys that could be the next Vin Scully or Ernie Harwell? They are too into their "Boo-yah" routine to notice I suppose. Also, Rick Sutcliffe is a horrible color commentator. He makes Joe Morgan look good, and that's really saying something. Has his daughter and George Clooney fixed that thing in Africa yet?!
"You can't go bac. You can only go back-back-back."
Ha. That's excellent.
I think you are a marvelous writer, by the way.
Please keep the blog going.
Amen brother! Amen!
Haha, love ESPN, but you have a point Joe "I gotta go to the bathroom so gimme the remote so I can hit" Pos-nanski. Hugs, hand-pounds by Stu Scott should be changed to Lazy eyes and gratuitous throwing of index cards.
It's getting even better with the sidebar thing on Sportscenter too...just like the LT thing...you see a story coming up about your team, then you realize that no, it's not groundbreaking news, no it's not even the recap of last night's game. No, it's the analysis of what your backup shooting guard will wear to the ESPYs (of course followed by a commercial telling you to watch the ESPYs...which will be followed up by the 10th repeat of a poorly done made for tv ESPN movie that's treated like Oscar gold)...SportsCenter is next...hang on.
I used to love SportsCenter. Then the hosts all thought they were the reason people watched, not the highlights. Now, we're stuck watching them talk up the next clip, then only show one highlight from a game, then back to them talking some more trying to crack jokes and/or the next new catch phrase. I can't watch it anymore. Thank goodness for TiVo! I can fast-forward to the parts I want to see and bypass all the dreck and commercials. I think I can watch SportsCenter now in about 10 minutes.
And please, do NOT get me started on this whole "WHO'S NOW" crapfest they're running. I feel bad for guys like Wilbon having to argue who he thinks is better: Serena Williams or Steve Nash. Huh?! How do you compare/contrast them?
BTW ... great site! Keep up the great writing!
Excellent article. I noticed the rapid quality decline of ESPN coincided with Disney's takeover of ESPN. Now ESPN has the quality of ABC and all others owned by Disney:
http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-assets-owned-by-disney
I used to love Sportscenter when my family first got cable. It was really my first exposure to sports clips of non-Kansas City games (other than George Michael's SPORTS MACHINE! Sunday nights at 11 on WDAF Channel 4). Back then they actually showed sports clips that gave you an idea of how the game went.
Now on SC, they'll show a great catch, a home run, some quirky thing that happened during the game, and the boxscore (that has actually improved quite a bit). If you're a fan of a team not in a major market and not in contention, good luck if they show any highlights. Actual coverage of actual sports takes about 10% of the show. 90% is "analysis", hype, butt-kissing interviews, sponsor-driven gimmicks, manufactured debate, and sappy sentimentalism.
ESPN News is actually a far superior product now. Its the World News Tonight of Sports, while Sports Center has become "Entertainment Tonight."
*THIS POST IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY MILLER LITE. ALWAYS COLD. ALWAYS REFRESHING*
Sports Guy still makes me laugh
His sports analysis is terrible. I guess, in one sense, that is funny, too, like watching Mr. Magoo try to solve a problem.
This blog is so now.
I hate ESPN. They ruin everything. They're probably not as bad as FOX, but they're pretty bad. They employ people who are loud and moronic instead of people who are well spoken and understand whatever sport they are covering (Ron Jaworski excepted). It drives me nuts. I don't watch any of their shows anymore - just the games, and I'll often end up muting those. Its a shame really. They have such an opportunity to produce intellegent analysis, yet they fail so profoundly at it.
I am proud to say that I have not listened to Chris Berman do a baseball game in over two years. Whenever I hear his voice, I know it's time to see if the trusty "mute" button is still working. The radio play-by-play men keep you in the game or even just the sound of absolute silence over Berman is wonderful. Keep up the great work, Mr. Posnanski!
At the Department of Redundancy Dept. we feel no remorse in saying what others have "opined" (< a journalist's favorite "I'm clever" word):
Fantastic writing Joe!
If anyone could do more with more, it's you!
What's getting to be really annoying at the intro to -any- ESPN program is all the theatrics to get "street cred" (e.g. "to all my homies..." "a shout out to ...") and all the 'dumb it down' falsillinous (new word!) and "hep talk". Perhaps the hoi polli drink it up. I, and most people above 100 IQ (or over age 12)... no.
Post a Comment