Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Do you want us live from San Fran? (Take 2)

OK, I’m going to try something new here … something interactive. Mike Vaccaro, New York Post columnist extraordinaire and author of 1941: Lots of Cool Stuff Happened That Year Including Stuff with DiMaggio and Whirlaway and Stuff, has offered his wisdom, wit and general services to help form a live blog for tonight’s Giants-Braves-Barry game.

I’m torn about this for three reasons:

1. Live blogs are a lot of stinking work.
2. Like Bud Selig, I do have a day job.
3. Live blogs are a lot of stinking work.

However, I shall put it to you brilliant readers. I know there’s a way to do a poll on here, but I’m obviously blog illiterate (I lost this entry once already) and also I need to get out of this hotel room and out into San Francisco. So here’s the deal: If you flood the comments section with affirmatives and reasonably authentic-sounding promises to buy another copy of The Soul of Baseball (or even Mike’s terrific book 1941: You Know Williams Hit .400 That Year and Billy Conn Almost Became Heavyweight Champ and Stuff) then we might just do it.

And hey, we are checking those Amazon numbers. We’ll know if you lie to us.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun

Ryan said...

I gave my last book to a girl who's currently not talking to me. She offered it back, and I told her to keep it and give it to her dad or brothers...hopefully not some dude.

So, I need to buy another book. (I've bought at least four so far.)

I have to work late too and will pretend that I'm still working even though you are currently in the Pacific time zone.

Please live-blog.

Paul White said...

Joe, I honestly don't care enough about Barry Bonds' impending asterisk-laden record to tune in to a live blog, so don't waste your time on my account.

That said, I will be buying your book whenever I get off my lazy keister, so count this vote however you want.

Anonymous said...

I promise to buy your book.

DAL said...

Never commented before, but this is some of the best writing online. Please. I'll buy your book.

Yeager said...

Already read my copy twice and persuaded another to buy a copy at the store.

But don't sweat the live blog unless you really want to. I barely ever read them until after the fact.

Anonymous said...

As long as you write something, I'm happy.

Pagoda said...

If you fail to do a live blog, Roger Clemens will kill a kitten. Don't want that on your conscious, do you?

Anonymous said...

Wait, you wrote a book?

Jarrod said...

Yes. Y.E.S. I am sure the readers would love a live blog. In fact, KC star should have regular live blogs for the all of its sports content. Show 'em how it's done, Joe.

rdbrown27 said...

Here is my affirmation and reasonably authentic sounding promise to buy another copy of the book.

Anonymous said...

I just found your page like a week ago, and since then I have been reading all the archived entries, starting in january. Very enjoyable writing! I don't care whether you blog live from SF tonight or not, but just wanted to thank you for doing all this work for free. I am going to amazon right now for a copy.

Anonymous said...

never commented, best blog on the internet, vow to buy book ASAP.

Anonymous said...

This plan's crazy enough...It just might work!

Anonymous said...

I am all about a live blog during the giants-braves game. Just please, don't talk about the Braves or Giants.

Curious on your thoughts (and Mike's too) on the new Brooklyn Dodger piece on HBO.

Thanks.

Eric said...

Live blog? How about a book signing at the Giants game? I'll buy 2 more copies. Look for me at Momo's across from the ballpark. Ill be the guy with two copies of your book and a ‘my puppy dog died’ look on my face if your not there.

Jim H. said...

The best live blog in Twins Territory is at a site called "Pulling a Blyleven" but they are in a short hiatus (as is the Twins offense), so a live blog on this site would be a nice option. Offering two of the best writers around -- what could go wrong?

I'll be asleep, though (gotta get up early tomorrow), and I've already bought two copies of The Book, so my vote probably shouldn't count as much.

I do not know how you do it, Mr. P., but I'm awfully glad you do.

Anonymous said...

I'll buy 10 books if you don't cover the human punctuation mark.