Seinfeld Minor Characters
Editor's Note: We'll be back this afternoon (I hope) with an all-star blog. In the meantime, instead of an aside, you get a full Seinfeld minor character blog:
There are, best I can tell, a couple of things you can do to express that you are a BIG fan of someone. Well, there are more than a couple of things you could do – you could, I suppose, stalk that celebrity, or you could dress like them, or you could get plastic surgery so you looked like them or you could hang photographs of them all over your house, but I’m really referring here to people who are not insane.
(As an aside: I do not get the idea behind those gigantic Fathead stickers of sports celebrities that people put on their walls. Hey, I love sports more than most, but what’s the deal with that? Maybe if you’re a kid it would be cool to have a humongous David Wright on your wall over your bed. But really these things seem marketed – and priced – for adults, and while I’m no interior decorator, I do have to question the general tastes of a person that wants a gigantic Martin Brodeur stopping pucks on his wall at home).
Anyway, the two ways of expressing super fanhood are:
1. Go obscure. If you are a big fan of someone/something, you cannot just like their mainstream work. You have to go into their little known, minor work. Say you are a big fan of, I don’t know, the Police. Someone asks you to name your favorite Police song. What do you say?
A. “Oh man, I love so many Police songs, but probably “Every Little Thing She Does is Magic” is my favorite. I love “Message in a Bottle” too. And “Roxanne.” And so many. They were just so great.”
B. “I could never reduce my love of the Police to one song.”
C. “You wouldn’t know it – it was only available on an import.”
D. “Probably “Truth Hits Everybody” off the Outlando D’Amour record, I just love the way Stewart Copeland plays on that song, you know, it was really big in Australia, and that’s when the Police were real, man, before they hit it big, before they sold out, you know?”
The correct answer is: (E) “Probably ‘Truth Hits Everybody,’ but only on the bootleg from Milwaukee in 1980. They really played it well in Des Moines too in ’83 – I think that was the day Andy Summers broke up with his girlfriend, and he was so on.”
2. Insist that you discovered the act – you were on to them years before anyone else.
So, I can tell you now that I discovered Jerry Seinfeld – I was on to him years before anyone else. It’s true. Back in college – years before “Seinfeld” hit the airwaves – my friend Joe Habina and I would always acknowledge each other by saying, “It’s that guy! That’s same guy!” That comes from an early Seinfeld bit about his dog, and how his dog would always be so happy and surprised to see him. He would walk out of the room for one minute, come back, and the dog would have that stunned look, “Hey! It’s that guy! That same guy!” Well, it’s funnier in person.
Anyway, as a big Jerry Seinfeld fan, I was so excited to see his show when it hit the air, and at first I can distinctly remember feeling disappointed. First of all, those early shows weren’t very good. Seinfeld was one horrendous actor at first. I mean, he never became Olivier, but in those early shows he was so stiff and confused and he couldn’t stop laughing – he acted like someone PRETENDING to be a bad actor.
Of course the show found its speed, in large part because the four main characters were so good, but also because they had so many great minor characters. So for your beginning of the week bonus, here are the 10 best Seinfeld minor characters.
10. Susan Ross. George’s fiancĂ©e who died after licking poisonous wedding invitation envelopes. That was a very twisted turn for the show, wasn’t it? I mean I realize they had to get her off the show, but was that really necessary? Susan (Heidi Swedberg) wasn’t actually that good a character, but I thought she was cute. Apparently not everyone thought so. Once we were in a Mexican restaurant, and our waitress was a dead ringer for Susan – I mean, at first we thought it really was her. So I said something to her about it. Big mistake. She was SO offended. She really thought it was a huge insult.
This brings me to a much larger point that probably deserves its own blog: Women and men have very different views about what constitutes a beautiful woman. I won’t get into it now, but I will say that when People Magazine named Drew Barrymore their most beautiful woman this year (over Scarlett Johansson? Natalie Portman? Halle Barry? The Jessicas? Beyonce?), my first and only thought was: “Well, I guess women did the voting.”
9. George Steinbrenner. I thought the Steinbrenner character got old after a little while, but the first couple of episodes of Steinbrenner were absolutely hilarious. And, of course, there was the classic exchange when George was alerting Mr. and Mrs. Costanza that George was dead.
Steinbrenner: He'd been logging some pretty heavy hours, first one in the morning, last one to leave at night. That kid was a human dynamo.
Mrs. Costanza: Are you sure you're talking about George?
Steinbrenner: You are Mr. and Mrs. Costanza?
Mr. Costanza: What the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for? He had 30 home runs and over 100 RBIs last year. He's got a rocket for an arm. You don't know what the hell you're doing!
Steinbrenner: Well, Buhner was a good prospect, no question about it. But my baseball people loved Ken Phelps' bat. They kept saying "Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps."
Steinbrenner was voiced, you probably know, by Larry David.
8. Kenny Bania. “They have the best pea soup in the city, Jerry. The best.”
7. Tim Whatley. The dentist who converts to Judaism for the jokes.
Whatley: Jerry, It is our sense of humor that sustained us for 3,000 years.
Jerry: It’s 5,000.
Whatley: Five thousand, even better. (To assistant). OK, Chrissie, give me a shtickle of fluoride.
6. Frank Costanza: “I wasn’t born here, so I can’t be president. That’s why I don’t vote. If they don’t want me, I DON’T WANT THEM!”
5. Jackie Chiles. Johnnie Cochran type lawyer -- he’s the one minor character that, to me, could have had his own show – a funny version of “Judge Judy.” My favorite Jackie Chiles exchange happens when Kramer sues Sue Ellen Mischke, the Oh Henry Bar heiress, for walking streets in only her bra (“lewd, lascivious, salacious, outrageous!”) and causes Kramer to get into an accident.
Jackie: "So she's walking around with nothing but a bra on? You're driving along, get distracted, wreck and ruin your dream of being a golfer."
Kramer: So, do you think we have a case?”
Jackie: “I don’t know.”
Kramer: “She’s the heiress to the Oh Henry candy bar fortune.”
Jackie: “Really? I love Oh Henry bars. It has peanuts...nougat ... chocolate ... yes we definitely have a case!”
4. David Puddy. Elaine’s on-again, off-again boyfriend has lots of great moments, like the time he was wearing the jacket with an eight ball on the back. “Are you going to wear that all the time?” she asked him. He pointed to the eight ball and said, “All signs point to yes.”
But my favorite moment happened on the plane when Puddy sat on the plane and just stared at the seat in front of him. Elaine asked him if he was going to read or go to sleep, he said no. “Are you going to just stare at the seat in front of you?” she asked. “Yeah,” he said. And they broke up again.
3. Newman. Jerry’s nemesis. Quote: “Hear me, and hear me well. The day will come. Oh yes! Mark my words, Seinfeld. Your day of reckoning is coming, when an evil wind will blow through your little play world and wipe that smug smile off your face. And I'll be there, in all my glory, watching.”
2. Babu Bhatt. “You’re a bad man! Very, very bad man!”
1. Bookman. The best minor character in the history of television, Bookman was the library investigations officer who ran down Jerry for a book (Tropic of Capricorn) he had checked out many years ago and never returned. Bookman gives this soliloquy:
“Let me tell you something, funny boy. You know that little stamp that says New York Public Library? Well that may not mean anything to you but that means a lot to me, one whole hell of a lot. Sure, go ahead, laugh if you want to; I've seen your type before, flashy, makin' the scene, flaunting convention. Yeah, I know what you're thinking:
‘What's this guy making such a big stink about old library books?’ Well let me give you a hint, junior. Maybe we can live without libraries, people like you and me. Maybe. Sure, we're too old to change the world. But what about that kid, sitting down opening a book, right now, in a branch of the local library, and finding drawings of pee-pees and wee-wees in The Cat in the Hat and The Five Chinese Brothers. Doesn't he deserve better? Look, if you think this is about overdue fines and missing books, you better think again; this is about that kid's right to read a book without getting his mind warped. Or, maybe that turns you on, Seinfeld. Maybe that's how you get your kicks, you and your good-time buddies. Well I got a flash for you, joy-boy: Party time is over. You got seven days, Seinfeld. That is one week.”
TSOB recommendation: If you have not checked out the movie Hard Eight, (also called Sydney, for some reason), I cannot recommend it more highly. It isn’t that the movie itself is all that great – I like it, but the movie isn’t exactly “Goodfellas.”
In this case, the movie isn’t the point. It has several classic actors playing classic roles. It has actor John C. Reilly doing his, “I have no idea what I’m doing” act which is always entertaining. It has Gwyneth Paltrow back in her supreme days playing a desperate cocktail waitress and hooker. It has Samuel L. Jackson doing his, “I’m one crazy MF” routine. It has Phillip Seymour Hoffman playing a bit role as a loser – which he does supremely well. And it has Phillip Baker Hall doing his Bookman routine for an entire movie. I mean, seriously, any one of these five would make a movie worth seeing – you get all five in one movie? A must see.
28 comments:
Babu as #2? Are you high?
The "reason" is Sydney is the name of Phillip Baker Hall's character. P.T. Anderson's brilliant directorial debut.
And another omission: "Mendelbaum! Mendelbaum! Mendelbaum!"
It's go time...
Babu should be replaced with the Mohel from 'The Bris'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bris_(Seinfeld_episode)
I have no problem w/ Babu on the list. It is hard, though, to see anyone higher than Frank and Jackie.
"Who told you to use the balm?!?"
Nice one Joe. Gotta love the Sein. And you couldn't be more right on about Bookman. Phillip Baker Hall was tremendous. That episode is definitely one of the best, solely because of his performance.
And yeah, Hard Eight is great. Interesting note though, Phillip Baker Hall also plays an eerily similar character, with the same name of Sydney in fact, in Midnight Run. It's a small part, but curious all the same.
"Jerry, it's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner's here, George is dead, call me back."
One of the best lines in Seinfeld history.
Another great post. I think I would probably have Puddy and Frank 1 and 2.
Do you have any more signings coming up?
You left off the best side character ever - Terry Hatcher as Jerry's girlfriend with "real" breasts. The best line ever was:
"And by the way, they're real... and they're spectacular!"
What a great episode!
I've got to nominate Mickey and Jack Klompus into the mix. Of course, one of my favorite characters who never had facetime was Kramer's friend Bob Sagamano. Sagamano seemed like another Kramer with even more connections. Furthermore, Sagamanao Sr. could acquire rat fur Russian hats. That's a skill one should not take for granted.
BJ
Let the record state I nominated Bob Sacamano a few posts ago!
Let the real record state that I was the actual anonymous person who nominated him more than a few posts ago.
It was I! 3:46 pm in the "Television Hall of Fame: First Class" - I threw out his name then.
Joe - A good, solid list, no doubt. And I don't underestimate the diffculty in developing it, given the sheer volume of minor characters we're dealing with. But still, no J. Peterman? No Close Talker? No Maistro? And, most of all, no Soup Nazi? I'd take any of them over Susan Ross and her poisoned envelopes.
I always enjoyed Uncle Leo, played by Len Lesser. He also played a very funny character on Everybody Loves Raymond.
I was laughing out loud and hitting my head against my desk just thinking about the scene with Puddy on the airplane.
Joe, your writing is a joy to read. Keep it up.
By far the best Jackie Chiles line was when Kramer's girlfriend thought he dropped dead and had him dumped in the river.
CONNIE: (on phone) You gotta meet me at the police station. They're arresting
me for attempted murder.
JACKIE: Attempted murder? Of whom?
CONNIE: This guy, Kramer.
JACKIE: Oh. (hesitantly) Cosmo Kramer?
CONNIE: (surprised) Yeah, that's right.
JACKIE: (adamant) I don't want nothing to do with it.
And slams the phone down.
Not really on the subject, but after the TV Hall of Fame post i was thinking about Seinfeld and realized that there are 2 lines that would be perfect names for a baseball blog-"Nice game, pretty boy" and "I hit Mickey". Feel free to use either
Vile weed!
I won’t get into it now, but I will say that when People Magazine named Drew Barrymore their most beautiful woman this year (over Scarlett Johansson? Natalie Portman? Halle Barry? The Jessicas? Beyonce?), my first and only thought was: “Well, I guess women did the voting.”
Ha. Too true. Drew Barrymore and Sarah Jessica Parker are at the top of the list of "women who women think are beautiful but men just don't find very attractive." I think the opposite of that list is Alyssa Milano and Jennifer Love Hewitt - women who women don't think are attractive, but men would give up an arm to have a night of passion with.
As far as minor characters, the list is decent, but how could you leave off J. Peterman? The fact that he used the show to jump start an acting career that has probably passed some of the lead actors should get him on the list alone.
"Some charlatan has stolen a Ziggy and passed it off as his own. I can prove it. Quick Elaine, to my archives!"
"Gotta support the team"
I think it is really hard to compare the Puddy's and Newman's of the Seinfeld universe to a one-off character such as Bookman. That said, I completely agree that Bookman's character is the greatest one episode character in teevee history. There's really three categories, the characters that had a multi season run (Newman, Frank, Big Stein), the smaller players who appeared a few times (Mickey, Bania, Sue Ellen Mischke), then the one episode fellows, such as Bookman, Shakey the mohel).
Peterman has to be on there. My second favourite character.
"And, in a tiny way, I almost feel responsible. I'm the one who sent him to Thailand - in search of low-cost whistles. Filled his head with pseudoerotic tales of my own Opium excursions. Plus, I gave him some phone numbers of places he could score near the hotel."
But the greatest character ever was none other than Kruger.
George: "It's your name on the outside of the building, speaking of which, the R fell off and all it says now is K-UGER!"
Kruger: "K-UGER... that sounds like one of those old-time car horns, huh?; K-UGER! K-UGER!"
George: "You are too much, Mr. Kruger! Too much!!"
Kruger: "Thank you, George! You've been great, that's it for me."
George: "No no, you're not goin out on a high note with me, Mr. Kruger!"
Kruger: "It's K-UGER!!"
Don't forget the mechanic played by Brad Garrett.
Jimmy was good and his jump shoes.
As an aside, among active directors..PT Anderson and Wong Kar-Wai rank 1 & 2 for me.
Uncle Leo and J. Peterman MUST be on the list. I would also have Estelle on there as well. Puddy would be #1 on my list. I would never fail to crack up whenever he was in a scene. Great stuff as always.
"Tropic of Capricorn"? C'mon, the overdue library book was titled "Tropic of Cancer"!
And you call yourself a fan.
First of all - Joe's book about Buck O'Neil is great. Outstanding person profiled by an outstanding writer. Secondly, there definitely are different levels of minor characters in Seinfeld. Mr. & Mrs. Costanza are hard to compare to Bob Saccamana. However, two names that have been ignored are Crazy Joe DaVolla and Aaron the Close-Talker. Definite two ten characters. My nomination for the best line happens when Newman knocks on Jerry's door to tell his parents that he was making out during Schinler's List. Mrs. Seinfeld opens the door and says "Hello....Newman." Perfect intonation. Just hilarious.
"What the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for?"
The way that line explodes out of Jerry Stiller's mouth is absolutely hysterical. It's my favorite line of the whole series, that rant towards Steinbrenner and his almost guilty response, about how his scouts loved Ken Phelps' bat. The sheer absurdity of the scene is overwelming: Estelle mocking George's work habits in the face of his supposed death ("Are you sure you're talking about my George?"), the image of Steinbrenner sitting on their little chair, physically overwelming the whole shot, and Frank taking the opportunity to shred the trade while spouting off Jay Buhner's numbers. Yet the way Frank says those lines, it's almost as though he has no idea what any of those words mean. Individually they make sense, but strewn together in a sentence they just don't fit right. Kind of like saying "Ladies and Gentlemen, won't you please welcome the newest member of the Calgary Flames, Grant Fuhr." Ew.
Post a Comment