Second base: Chase Utley
Mark Ellis actually has the highest zone rating among second basemen, which I bring up because it turns out that Ellis ended up being the most important player in the infamous Johnny Damon deal. He was a throw-in.
Ellis is a pretty good example of all-things-Moneyball. In fact, he’s worth bringing up just to point out how much Michael Lewis’ book changed the landscape.
I remember that Damon trade very clearly. The Royals had determined that there was no way they were going to sign Johnny Damon. So they wanted to maximize his value by trading him during the off-season. Here's the context of the time in Kansas City -- the Royals were, at that moment, the best young hitting team in baseball. They had (and all of these guys were still young then), Damon (who had hit .327 and scored 136 runs), Carlos Beltran (who had an off-year), Jermaine Dye (who had been an All-Star starter), Mike Sweeney (who had driven in 144 runs) and Joe Randa (who had driven in 106 runs). They also had a young Mark Quinn, who had hit .294 with 20 homers and finished third in the Rookie of the Year vote.
What the Royals did NOT have, however, was pitching, and they especially did not have a bullpen. The Royals had set a team record for runs scored in 2000, but they had gone 77-85, in part because the bullpen had a 5.59 ERA and had blown more saves than recorded. It is true that the Royals did not have much starting pitching either, but as any fan, manager or baseball executive knows, nothing sucks the life out of you more than having a bad bullpen. Sure, in the grand scheme of things losing 5-4 is losing 5-4 no matter when the runs are scored.
But going into the ninth with a 4-2 lead and losing 5-4 just hurts more. The Royals did an awful lot of that in 2000. And there’s absolutely no doubt that thoroughly shaped general manager Allard Baird’s thinking.
The three-way trade ended up like this:
Oakland received Johnny Damon, Mark Ellis and Cory Lidle.
Tampa Bay received Ben Grieve.
Kansas City received Roberto Hernandez, Angel Berroa and A.J. Hinch.
I don’t want to break down the whole trade, though it seems pretty obvious who got the best of it. No, I want to say that Allard Baird had fallen in love with the idea of a dependable closer, and he had become convinced that Hernandez would be as dependable as he was likely to find (Roberto had 32 saves and a 3.12 ERA in 2000 though, looking back, he did give up more hits than innings pitched and a career-high nine homers).
But Baird wanted more than just Hernandez. His scouts really impressed on him the need to get shortstop Angel Berroa. Billy Beane, that shrewd Oakland general manager, made it sound like he simply could not give up on Berroa. After some haggling, Beane said, “OK, well, how about you throw in Mark Ellis.”
Allard considered this. He liked Ellis. But the Royals already had a second baseman he felt was their future (Carlos Febles) and Allard really coveted the shortstop. I think, looking back, he misjudged Ellis a little bit, and suspected the was going to be a utility infielder. A general manager simply will not hold up a deal to keep a potential utility infielder. So the deal was struck.
-- Hernandez had two blah years in Kansas City.
-- Berroa won Rookie of the Year and looked exactly like the player Baird had anticipated and then fell off the face of the earth.
-- Damon played one year in Oakland, had the worst season of his life, then signed with Boston, led the Idiots, and became a folk hero. And then signed with the Yankees.
-- A.J. Hinch will probably be a general manager someday very soon.
-- Ben Grieve imploded into himself like a dying star.
And that leaves Ellis … and the whole point of this. Why did Billy Beane want Mark Ellis? Because the guy GOT ON BASE. Remember, this was before Moneyball hit book stands, just before on-base percentage became the stat du jour. Ellis had a .400 on-base percentage at three levels with the Royals. He walked a lot. And as we know that’s precisely what Oakland wanted at that time. And that's what lots of teams want now. I suspect that these days a player with a .400 on-base percentage in the minor leagues is coveted a lot more than he might have been just seven or eight years ago.
The funny part is that Mark Ellis ended up not being especially good at getting on base. Ellis doesn’t walk a lot. His OBP this year is .327 and it was .319 last year. But they ended up getting a GOOD player when healthy – he hits some homers, he’s very steady, and he makes all the plays in his zone.
OK, back to the defensive choice. I chose Chase Utley because it seems to me he’s the best all-around defensive second baseman in the game. Ellis may be steadier. Orlando Hudson has more range and is flashier. Aaron Hill is terrific. But day-in, day-out, I think Utley’s the guy.
So how about this: Chase Utley is on pace to hit .334 with 66 doubles, 27 homers, 127 runs scored, 132 RBIs and he’s the best defensive second baseman in the game. I mean, seriously, where does THAT season rank among the greatest seasons ever. I realize he plays in a bandbox, and we’re still in an offensive era and all that. But wow.
(While I was writing this, apparently, Chase Utley broke his hand and will now be out close to a month. That's a real shame).
Note: I saw the comment from brilliant reader Daniel saying that Manny Ramirez is, at worst, below average and usually plays better than that. I’m sure Daniel as a Sox fan sees Manny a lot more than me. But I can tell you that I’ve never seen average defense from Manny, but more importantly I am looking at some defensive numbers here that make it pretty clear Ramirez is indeed quite putrid (or, if you prefer, rancid). I don’t want to give anything away until we get to left field. But I will tell you that Daniel s right about this: Adam Dunn is putrid and rancid.
Best defensive second basemen (in order):
1. Chase Utley
2. Aaron Hill
3. Orlando Hudson
4. Brandon Phillips
5. Mark Ellis
Worst defensive second basemen (in order)
1. Jeff Kent
2. Rickie Weeks
3. Craig Biggio
4. Freddy Sanchez
5. Dan Uggla
16 comments:
Yay, someone outside the Blue Jays broadcast booth talking up Aaron Hill!
What gives Joe? What am I suppose to do with two copies of your book if there unsigned? How about a book signing at Borders across from the ballpark ANYTIME during this home stand? I’m starting to think I have a better chance of getting my copy of “The Sound and the Fury” signed. That wasn’t a joke.
If possible, Joe, can you comment on the best defenders you've seen at multiple positions? My guess is that Erstad wins this running away, especially given the different demands of CF and 1B. But anything you can offer would be appreciated - I've always been fascinated by guys who play very well (or who are even good to play a lot) at more than one position.
What are the odds of an impromptu book signing for book buyers of the Bay Area?
Rex Hudler would certainly agree with you, Tim. I seem to remember a game in which Rex dubbed the combo of Erstad and Kennedy the greatest right side of the infield ever put on the field. He really said this. If pressed, I think I can find you the date on which this happened. Hyperbole much, Rex?
I should clarify that Rexy was speaking in terms of defense.
Nice commentary on Ellis, Joe.
You might get an AthleticsNation sticker in green and gold that says, "We Value the Undervalued".
Know why Johnny Damon had his worst year ever in Oakland? He became the highest paid player on the squad. Okay, Mr. BigBucks (I think it was $7 million, one year) Damon comes to spring training and watches Jason Giambi hit. Damon confessed later that he felt others on the team deserved to earn more money! Yet he made the most, by 20% or so! Damon admitted it really hurt his play in the beginning of that year. Add in, he missed his family...living in a crummy apt in Oakland as his "home" when the team was in Oakland.
You wonder, with so much at stake, a team would have a "feel good squad" on the payroll so at minimum their highest paid player WOULD NOT SIT IN A CRUMMY APT HE KINDA CHOSE and "inexplicably" hit .229 for two months.
Has anyone realized that Dan Uggla is on pace set a record for most extra base hits for a 2nd baseman... Dan Uggla
On defensive 2nd basemen, what of KC's own Mark Grudzielanek? Is he some kind of statistical nightmare on zone rating? ... And I'm not just adding this based on last night's Pena, G, etc. doubleplay. - TL
Wait, doesn't Biggio play centerfield these days? Or did they move him back to 2nd for his last, pre-HOF year? - TL
Utley's defense has improved so much the last few years, it's impressive. Also, Uggla is not on pace to break the XBH record for 2B, as near as I can tell. He's on pace for 95-96, which would come up short of Hornsby's 102 in 1922. Utley had a shot at it as of a couple weeks ago, but fell off the pace; and now, of course, has no chance. Worst possible time for him to get hurt.
Pretty impressive that two offensive giants - Pujols and Utley - have legit claims at being the best defenders at their positions too. All-around great players are fun.
What do you think about Josh Barfield? I saw him make a few great plays last year against the Twins, and he seems to show up on the highlights often...obviously, that doesn't necessarily make him a great second baseman, but still.
Where's Polanco? Not only does he have good range, he's yet to make an error this year.
What do you think about Dustin Pedroia? Obviously he's a rookie (bound to make some mistakes), short, and doesn't have a whole lot of range, but this isn't Mark Bellhorn (or a shorter Jose Offerman) we're talking about. DP isn't in the top echelon (yet), but he's wicked solid.
On Manny - can the stats you're describing about location of balls hit account for the irregularities of The Wall and his ability to consistently turn doubles into singles? The sample size for such plays for everyone else is tiny, while it seems that he averages a chance like that most home games.
Just priming the pump for a blog-breakingly-long LF entry...
Post a Comment