Rivalries Part 2: Pedro vs. Sheffield
A quick story to start (warning -- Olympics and golf to follow. You are more than welcome to skip to the stars and our baseball rivalry of the day): We were at the Olympics in 1996, and it was the afternoon before the Opening Ceremonies, and all of us columnists were trying to predict who would be the athlete to light the torch. We weren’t predicting for fun – our professional lives were at stake. Whoever lit the torch (naturally) would be from somebody’s hometown. And that hometown columnist (naturally) would have to, in a matter of a minutes, weave together a moving column about the hometown hero lighting the Olympic torch.
“It’s going to be Edwin Moses,” Pat Forde was saying. Pat is now a terrific writer for ESPN, but back that he was columnist in Louisville. And he was taunting the wonderful Dayton columnist Tom Archdeacon. See, the great hurdler Edwin Moses is from Dayton. Pat had decided that Arch was going to draw the columnist short straw.
“Oh yeah, it’s got to be Edwin Moses,” Pat said. “Who else could it be? I mean we are talking about one of the all-time Olympic greats. You better start writing now Tom.” We were all joining in – it was all good fun -- and Arch’s face was turning a bit white. I was laughing calmoly because at the time I was columnist in Cincinnati and there was virtually no chance that Pete Rose or Marge Schott was going to light the Olympic torch.
“You really think it’s going to be Edwin?” Arch asked.
“Who else could it be?” Pat said. As I recall, he said it with gusto.
That night, as you probably remember, featured one of the most touching Olympic moments ever. A shaking Muhammad Ali – his body wrecked by Parkinson’s Disease but his aura shining bright – lit the torch. That would be Louisville’s Muhammad Ali. That would be Pat Forde’s town.
The next day, we ran into a bleary-eyed Pat Forde, who of course had stayed up half the night trying to write his Muhammad Ali torch story, and of course did not have time to make it right. He was not really in a joking mood anymore.
I bring this up because … well, because it’s funny. But also because every columnist has some version of this story. For more than 10 years now, I’ve been writing about golfer Tom Watson. He’s from Kansas City, he still lives in Kansas City (well, on a farm nearby), and I would say that around the world, he is the most famous Kansas Citian.
That means every reasonably major tournament that Tom Watson plays in, I’m on call to write a column of some kind. This has mostly been a good thing. I’ve developed a reasonably close relationship with Tom. I’ve followed him on some of the most beautiful golf courses in the World (Augusta, Pebble Beach, Shinnecock, Muirfield for starters). I’ve argued politics with him. He’s given me kid advice. I’ve talked Royals’ baseball with him lots of times.
The one thing I have not seen him do, though, is actually win a golf tournament. I mean, never. I once flew to Chicago when he was leading the U.S. Open, and the first hole I saw him play he double bogeyed. I followed him around at a Senior Tour playoff in Kansas City, and watched him lose. I traveled to St. Louis to see him in a match-play competition, which he promptly lost. So it goes. I’ve sometimes thought that, after all the columns I’ve written about the guy, it would be nice to see him win just once.
Sunday, I was at home, with my oldest daughter sleeping in my lap, and I watched Tom Watson build up a three-shot lead with eight holes left at the U.S. Senior Open – the one Champions Tour event that really has the cache to be called a Major Championship. And I was really excited for him. Sure, Watson has already had plenty of great golf moments – five British Open Championships, two Masters, Six PGA Tour Player of the Year Awards and the most famous chip in golf history. Right there you have enough glory for three lifetimes.
Still … something weird happened to Tom Watson. He stopped winning in the mid-80s when he was in his prime. He was the best golfer on earth. He was about the same age that Tiger Woods is now. He was not injured. He was still hitting the ball with the same force and precision. The problem – this is oversimplifying things, but not much – was that his putts stopped falling. Watson had been the boldest putter on tour – he never left a putt short. He would putt the ball three or four feet past the hole all the time, but his touch was so feathery that he always made the comeback putt. Well, suddenly, he started missing those comeback putts. Pars became bogeys. And, like that, the run was over.
I’ve always thought that had to be hard a hard thing to deal with, to have it all end abruptly like that. Watson was one of the finest ball-strikers in golf for two decades after he won his last British Open. But from 1985 through 1995, he won just one golf tournament. He won a couple more as an older golfer, and he’s won some stuff on the Senior Tour, but it never was the same. I don’t think he ever got closure.
Sunday, it looked like he would have his final crescendo. He led the U.S. Senior Open by three shots. He was playing a lot like his younger self – swashbuckling his way through, making long putts, getting out of trouble, overwhelming everybody. All he needed to do was make a few pars coming in, and the tournament was his … and there would be a huge roar for him at 18. I was happy for the man I have probably written more columns about than any other.
And then … it fell apart. I mean, it really fell apart. Every ghost, every demon, every hiccup, every flaw that has haunted Tom Watson for the last 25 years showed up for one giant reunion. He missed short putts. He hit into trouble and couldn’t get out. Balls buried in the sand. Balls got snarled in the rough. It was awful to watch. Watson shot eight over par on his final eight holes, and the truth is that it could have been even worse. He ended up fourth at the tournament that was his and his alone. And he looked so old.
It’s a strange thing being a sportswriter in the same town for a long time. On the one hand you are supposed to remain professional (Bill James HATES that word) and somewhat distant from the people you write about. On the other hand, you are supposed to know them well enough to give some insight into their triumphs, failures, motivations and fears. It’s an impossible dance, really. Sunday I was heartbroken for Tom Watson.
* * *
Matchup No. 2: Pedro Martinez vs. Gary Sheffield
How they’ve done: Sheffield is hitting .278 against Pedro in 36 at-bats. He has three homers and has walked six times (giving him a .370 on-base percentage). Martinez has struck out Sheffield six times. I love this match-up for one other reason – these are two of the most intimidating players out there.
Thoughts: A friend sent me an email the other day about Gary Sheffield. He wondered what people think about Sheffield. The guy has Hall of Fame numbers – but do people see him as a Hall of Famer? He’s been on playoff teams each of the last five years and probably is again, but do people see him as a winning ballplayer? He probably will be one of only three players to finish a career with 500 homers and 250 steals (along with Willie Mays and Barry Bonds – ARod will join the party soon after). But do people see him as an all-around talent?
It has led me to wonder if perhaps Sheffield is the most underrated player of his time. I think this because, quite honestly, until a couple of years ago I never gave him much thought. He was in the National League, and after 1996 I didn’t see many NL games. He was always in the papers for something vaguely controversial (in retrospect, it was usually because he wanted to get paid more), and I mindlessly classified him as a pain in the neck. He never seemed to lead the league in anything (he did have the one batting title – but no homer titles, no RBI titles, no Gold Gloves, no MVPs). And he was a part of that mercenary and hideous 1997 Marlins championship team.
That was about all I knew. Well, I also knew he was Dwight Gooden’s nephew, another association that did not necessarily make him more appealing.
So I remember being at Yankee Stadium for a Royals-Yankees series – always a joy – and Sheffield came up, and he was waving the bat wildly like he does, and I thought: Man, this guy is a strikeout waiting to happen. And so I looked up his numbers and found – whoa, the guy actually doesn’t strike out hardly at all. Among the great power hitters – guys with 400 plus homers – Sheffield has the fifth fewest strikeouts.
1. Stan Musial, 696 strikeouts.
2. Ted Williams, 709 strikeouts
3. Lou Gehrig, 790 strikeouts
4. Mel Ott, 896 strikeouts.
5. Gary Sheffield, 1004 strikeouts.
That’s good company, no? And so, I turned and closely watched Gary Sheffield play that series. And the guy was amazing. I don’t mean he was good. I mean he was amazing. I don’t remember precisely what he did, but I recall that he cracked hits all over the park. He made a dazzling catch. He stole a base. He made a rocket throw. But more than anything, he played with energy, with force, with will. I’d sort of assumed that Sheffield was just another mercenary player, coasting for a big salary, not running out ground balls and so on. But the player I saw that weekend wanted to win, and he wanted to win badly, and he wanted to win every single day.
There’s one great advantage of following the Kansas City Royals – you get to see which players on the other teams REALLY play hard every day. If you’re going to take a day off or check out mentally, the Kansas City Royals have been the team to do that against. Well, Sheffield played that series like it mattered, like there was something important at stake, and I left New York with a new admiration for him, an admiration that has never dimmed.
I don’t know what kind of guy Sheffield is – I realize he’s played for a good number of teams, and he has a little bit of the steroid stain. Also I’ve never even interviewed him one on one. And I don’t see him that often – it’s possible that I just happen to catch him on his good days. But based on what I’ve seen (and based also on his .399 on-base percentage, 146 OPS+, etc.). Sheffield is one of the true forces of the game.
Pedro, of course, is Pedro. I was in the Dominican with Tony Peña, and we went to see the house where he grew up (he still owns the house). He came upon a wall and pointed at a photograph and said, “That used to be a picture of Jesus.” The new photo was of Pedro Martinez.
As background, Sheffield was the sixth pick in the 1986 draft, which tells you that the sixth pick was a pretty good one to have in the mid-1980s – Bonds was the sixth pick in the 1985 draft. Other sixth picks in the 1980s were not so fortunate (Spike Owen, Erik Pappas, Paul Coleman, etc. – Kevin McReynolds is in there too). Sheffield was up in the big leagues when he was 19, and he was an everyday player for Milwaukee in 1990. He had an absolutely miserable season in 1991 – he was hurt, and he hit .194. The Brewers traded him to San Diego, and Sheffield (who always has thrived on disrespect) hit .330 with 100 RBIs.
Pedro, meanwhile, signed when he was like 11 years old or whatever. He started one game in the big leagues as a 20-year-old for the Dodgers, and he won 10 games while being used almost exclusively as a reliever in 1993. Los Angeles, as I recall, was convinced that Martinez was too slight to stand up to the wear and tear of being a starter and traded him to Montreal for Delino DeShields (I could be wrong on this analysis – Dodgers fans please feel free to correct me here). Pedro had three very good seasons as a starter, and then became superhuman in 1997 (he went 17-8 with a 1.90 ERA and 305 strikeouts). He was pretty much superhuman for the next six seasons.
The Sheffield-Martinez rivalry follows that pattern. From 1993 to 1996, Sheffield spanked Martinez pretty good. He went 6 for 16 (.375) with 4 of his 6 hits going for extra bases (two doubles, two homers). This makes good sense – Martinez was more or less a fastball pitcher in the mid 1990s, and Sheffield is one of the great fastball hitters ever.
In 1997, though, Martinez transformed into something otherworldly – and though Sheffield was in his prime he never really hit Pedro again. Since 1997, Sheffield is hitting .200 against Martinez (4 for 20) and he has only one extra base hit. Of course, that extra base hit is pretty famous in New York – he mashed a two-run homer off of Pedro in September 2004 as the Yankees beat the Red Sox and Martinez 11-2, which more or less clinched the division title for the Yankees that year.
14 comments:
In re: Sheffield, I really like him as a player. Not as a person -- I am of the school who says that you do not need to like a great artist as a person to appreciate his art. James Brown, so I hear, was something of a jerk his entire life, to his musicians, friends, whomever. He was also, indeed, the Godfather of Soul, the hardest-working man in show business, all that jazz. Sheffield is like that, except, you know, without the 400 LPs and countless hip-hop samples to show for it.
He's not as good as Bonds, but then Brown for all his virtues never ascended the true heights like Elvis or Aretha. Plus I absolutely could see Sheffield on the streets of whatever LA suburb saw the recording of "I'm Black and I'm Proud" with Mr. Brown, rounding up the local kids (the story goes, mostly white and asian, not that it matters) for the call-and-response section of the song.
Too bad Sheffield didn't stick at shortstop, or he'd be a no-doubt HoFer. In LF, he's a hint less-exciting.
The best three moments of last night's All-Star game were,
1. When the Taco Bell contest guy failed to hit a ball anywhere close to winning anything and then got snubbed by Jeannie Zelasko.
2. When Eric Byrnes dog went beserk and started swimming away from him in an attempt to escape to Alcatraz. There was a mention of bacon, but he was going the other way, so I don't buy that excuse. Byrnes must be a horrible dog owner. I treat my dogs well and don't throw them in the water against their will. They wouldn't try to flee from me.
3. Barroid Bonds not hitting a homer.
How about McCarver discovering the word "busker" and treating us to his views on fatherhood. What in bloody hell was that about?
Joe: Very nice bit on Tom Watson.
There is one main reason I've always disliked Gary Sheffield. After he was traded to the Brewers I read an interview where he admitted purposely making errors so that the Brewers would trade him because he hated the Brewers. To me that was inexcusilbe. That is worse than steroid questions or just being a general jerk.
Thanks again for the take on Tom Watson. I really enjoyed the piece in a bittersweet sort of way.
re: Pedro.
That offseason where the Dodgers traded Pedro had many, many reasons why it happened. For one, Jody Reed decided to wait on a very generous offer from the Dodgers. The Dodgers panicked and missed Pedro's value thinking that a former injury may affect his pitching. So they traded him for Delino Deshields as Reed took too much time to think about the offer and eventually left. This is a horrible simplification. The best write-up I've ever read is the one at Dodger Thoughts. I encourage you to read that for more and much better written information.
I've only been to one game in Fenway. Pedro pitched a great game but lost because of the punchless offense of his teammates. What I enjoyed most (besides the fine pitching performance) was the unofficial Pedro cheerleader in our section. He waved the Dominican flag, lead chants of "Pedro Pedro Pedro", and taught us all to shout "HOO-aahh" after every Pedro strikeout.
Add the excellent Italian sausage and pepper sandwiches and some Sam Adams and it was a memorable evening.
Love your blog by the way!
Living here in the Detroit area and watching Sheffield for the last few month all I can say is WOW! The Yankees screwed up! Thanks. I think environment plays into these stars' behavior at times, Detroit is well away from the glitz and glamor of New York or LA. I thought that bringing Rogers was a mistake last season, because of the camera incident, but he has been awesome. Same with Sheffield.
Go Tigers!
Pedro offers you his protection. Vote for Pedro.
Gary Sheffield also leads MLB in lifetime super hard foul balls down the left field line. If that doesn't make him a hall of famer, I dont know what does. And, I'd just like to take this time as a Mets fan to thank Tony LaRussa for the lack of home field advantage coming up this fall. My grandma would send Pujols up there.
I think the taco bell guy who almost whiffed on his first rip at the tee needs a blog entry.
I fondly recall Sheffield's 1989 Topps' Future Stars card his rookie season. Not the biggest photo ever... He was a stud prospect, and some reason for optimism if you liked the Brewers (which I did). In it, he has a little bit of the Flava Flav look going, which most Americans have traditinally disliked. Reports about Sheffield centered on his uncontrollable nature, and his disruptive tendencies, as well as his unquestionable talent. In his Topps' card, Sheffield sports a gold chain, and gold braces, capped with "GS" over his incisors. He was branded a thug, and his poor performance led to a trade to the Padres. At that point in time, the "Doc Gooden is his uncle" tag-line didn't help either. I feel like Sheffield has never been able to shake these initial perceptions of him as "gangsta" and "thuggish." He has done immature things, at times refusing to perform, or making outlandish declarations. But, folks don't make it to the H.O.F. for their personalities (at least not since the Veteran's Committee was revamped...). Sheffield is easily one of the most feared batters of his generation. And for all the fear accompanying his initial arrival, he's never gone all Albert Belle on anyone (at least not as far as we know). Hell, he's never even gone all Reggie Jackson on someone. I think Nolan Ryan's been involved in more fisticuffs than Sheffield, and Steve Carlton's said more disgusting things. I'm perplexed by the idea that he won't make it to Cooperstown. He's played on winners, had great moments in big games, put up amazing stats, been metronymically consistent, and aged very well (which has certainly left folks to question whether he's taken steroids). Until this season, Sheffield played primarily in the field, and didn't milk a few extra seasons out of being a DH (though he'll likely continue to produce as a DH for 3-5 more years). As a total aside, I think it's interesting to consider the changes in public perception from the late 80s/early 90s with now. I wonder how Prince Fielder's neck tattoo would've gone over in Milwaukee back then. Or with the mainstream press, for that matter. Sheffield might provide us with a bit of a clue, eh? It is also interesting, though, to consider that Sheffield had his worst season as a mature, established star in 1997. It's important to note that he did perform quite well in the post season, as the Marilns outlasted the Indians to win a World Series. If it's any indication at all, check out his Top 10 comps on Baseball Reference. Five of them are already on the H.O.F. Realistically, all of them but McGriff will be there as well (poor Crime Dog! Talk about a guy who played in the wrong era! If he'd just come up in '77, rather than '87, he'd be a lock for ensrinement...). And, as my mother aways told me, "You are judged by the company you keep." As a final thought, for a man who will soon have over 500 homers in his career, and who has exceeded 40 in a season twice, Sheffield's season high for strikeouts is 83. Wow.
I would like to take this moment to say how awful ESPN's "Who's Now?" segment is. It's the worst thing in sports since someone decided to make "ice dancing" an olympic event.
This blog is the opposite of "Who's Now?" It's good.
Also, who has a home run contest during twilight so the hitters can't see the ball?
A: ESPN & Bud Selig.
A few years ago, can't be more than two or three, an ESPN columnist made an offhand comment that "no one thinks of Gary Sheffield as a Hall of Famer." I thought, "What? Really?" I'd always regarded Sheffield as one of the true impact players in the game. I mentioned this to a few friends, who actually sided with the columnist; they thought Sheffield was borderline at best. So I rechecked his stats. Here's a guy who despite spending his entire career in pitcher's parks has slugged over .500 12 times and OBP'ed (?) over .400 nine times (plus he's over both again this season). I'm with you; I don't think people appreciate how great he has been.
Post a Comment