Monday, July 23, 2007

Leaving on a jet plane ...

I'm getting ready to head to San Francisco for more Bonds magic -- nothing better than a good flight delay in Milwaukee to make your day -- and I read a comment by brilliant reader Mr. Clutch concerning my last blog. It reminded me that there was one more important point to make.

Here's the comment:

Joe, I understand your argument, but I have one important one important (I think) objection. On your list of talented black players, I don't believe I see a single pitcher. I know some black pitchers have been effective, but in general, the great majority of black players have been hitters. To what do we atrribute this? I have no idea, and I certainly don't wish to stereotype. It does seem to be a fact, however, and it must be considered. Even today, there are only two effective black pitchers I can think of (Willis and Sabathia).

I have heard this argument quite a bit -- although (and I want to make it clear this is NOT what Mr. Clutch is saying) I have usually heard it as a charge that Negro Leagues hitters weren't as good as they are sometimes made out to be because there have not been many great black pitchers through the years. It is, in fact, usually that very argument that leads to bring out my "Let's take a look at the 10 years after integration" case that I brought out in the last blog.

But I think it's important here to make a point that I only brushed the last time. Yes, there have been quite a few good to excellent black pitchers in the Major Leagues -- Bob Gibson, Fergie Jenkins, Vida Blue, Lee Smith, J.R. Richard, Mudcat Grant, Al Downing, Dwight Gooden, Mike Norris, Dontrelle Willie, Sam Jones among them.

But remember, any and all dark-skinned athletes were banned from play in the big leagues before 1947. This included dark-skinned Latin players as well. Luis Tiant's father pitched in the Negro Leagues, for instance. So, now, let's look at some dark skinned pitchers since 1947 who I suspect also would have played in Negro Leagues:

Luis Tiant, Mike Cuellar, Camilo Pascual, Juan Marichal, Pedro Martinez, Bartolo Colon, Joaquin Andujar, Jose Rijo, Dennis Martinez, Johan Santana, Carlos Zambrano, Javier Vazquez, Mariano Rivera, etc., etc.

Again, it's just part of the context. But I think it's realistic to think that having black pitchers would have had an effect on Ruth.

I'm going to try something here, and I have no idea if it will work ... but let's try to prove a point by picking an example. For not-entirely-random reasons, I'll choose Andy Van Slyke in 1992. Van Slyke had a very good seaosn that year. He hit .324 with 45 doubles, 12 triples, 14 homers, he scored 103 runs, drove in 89, stole 12 bases, won a Gold Glove. He finished fourth in the MVP balloting. A fine year.

Now, let's take him back pre-1947. I might get this wrong -- it's difficult to know exactly how light-skinned a player would have had to be to play in the pre-Robinson days -- so bear with me and please forgive any statistical misses.

Take him back to 1947, and you can more or less eliminate 83 at-bats. I figure he had these against Dennis Martinez, Sid Fernandez, Dwight Gooden, Ben Rivera (who Van Slyke spanked all year), Ramon Martinez, Chuck McElroy, Jose DeLeon, Ken Hill, Xavier Hernandez, Alejandro Pena, Lee Smith (I stopped with pitchers who faced him fewer than four times -- I mean I'm stuck in an airport, for crying out loud).

OK, he hit .289 against those guys (thanks to the 7-for-10 with triple and homer against Ben Rivera). So without those at-bats, Van Slyke hit .330. If you would just replace those pitchers and just use what he did against everyone else, his season total would have looked more like this.

.330 average, 202 hits, 49 doubles, 12 triples, 15 homers, 95 RBIs.

And this is assuming that the pitchers he faced were about the Major League average, which of course they would not be -- they would be pitchers from Class AAA and Class AA. So you could might even add a few more points to the average, a few more hits, a homer or two, who knows, maybe four or five RBIs, so the numbers could conceivably look like this:

.334 average, 206 hits, 51 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 100 RBIs.

Voila, suddenly you have a Tris Speaker, Stan Musial, Al Simmons kinda year.

These numbers are a silly guess, of course, and probably way off. We're just playing around. But there's another point here too: Van Slyke finished fourth in the MVP voting that year. However, the three players who finished ahead of him (Barry Bonds, Terry Pendleton and Gary Sheffield) were all African American. So take them away, he's also the league MVP. He finished second in batting (to Sheffield) so give him a batting title. He finished fifth in OPS, but only Darren Daulton among the first four is white. He finished third in runs created (behind Bonds and Sheffield) so put him on top there too.

You see what I'm getting at here ... It isn't just that Babe Ruth might not have hit 714 homers had he played against men of color. It's that Oscar Charleston might have hit 745 homers and stolen 800 bases. It's that Josh Gibson may have hit 68 homers in a season. You are, after all, judged against the players of your time. Ruth is amazing because he was SO MUCH BETTER than anyone else of his time. But that may not have been so had black athletes been allowed in the game.

Anyway, this is all just guesswork and free-form thoughts ... something worth talking about while I chase Barry Bonds around the country.

14 comments:

sabo said...

I love the way you argue points. Any chance you are interested in a politics blog? Anyways I have a question that is only slightly related. I have heard a lot this year about the lack of African Americans playing baseball. This all came up around the time MLB was honoring Jackie R. It got me wondering if how much we revere him has an effect on how many African Americans play the game. Even though there was a first player or players in our other sports, we certainly remember Jackie much more. Even though when his name is brought up it is in a celebratory nature, it does remind people of baseballs ugly past in a way we arent reminded of other sports. Maybe this negative reality of baseballs past has driven African Americans away from baseball fields? Do you have any thoughts on this?

Eric said...

Not sure where else to ask this but are you signing books in San Francisco at all this week? Please?

Anonymous said...

Just out of curiosity, how do you think Satchel Paige would have fared against those players if he had been allowed to play then?

Also, In your opinion, who would have hit more homers in their career on a level playing field... just your opinion, Babe Ruth or Josh Gibson?

Anonymous said...

This is just a kind of vague memory i have, and i am not good enough with statistics to check its accuracy, but i remember reading once that in 1927 Babe ruth hit an extrodinory amount of his home runs against a relativly small sample of pitchers, and not a particullarly impressive sample of the pitchers in the american League that year. If I remember, the author was making the point that had there been no segration in baseball, a fair amount of those at bats would have happened against the best dark skinned pitchers, rather than the worst light skinned pitchers.

Lucius Calpurnius Capitolinus said...

sabo,

I've been thinking about this a lot myself. Torii Hunter's recent "no blacks in baseball in ten years" comment is a prediction that I hope proves false. As a Dodger fan, I've spent this season watching a team full of young, talented, black players. James Loney, Matt Kemp, Juan Pierre, and Russell Martin are all regulars for the Dodgers now and, from the looks of it, will be for a long time. As a volunteer coach for an all-black baseball team in Memphis, I loved watching my players walk around the school wearing their baseball jackets, proud to be baseball players. These kids also took great pride in associating themselves with the Negro Leagues. They wore "throw-back" apparel covered in Birmingham Black Baron and Memphis Red Sox logos.

I'd say, if anything, the kids these days look to the Negro Leagues for inspiration and feel a kinship with it that has more of a positive effect than anything. This is not to say the opposite isn't happening as well, but there is hope.

Anonymous said...

Joe, I don't think you can make the argument you're making about Van Slyke. It's too simplistic (which you acknowledge) to replace black pitchers with "average" white pitchers without also accounting for fewer teams, more doubleheaders, fewer games in a season, and so on.

Eliminate about 30-35 at-bats from his counting stats to get rid of the extra games, and up the "average" talent level to account for the smaller number of teams (16 teams in the 1940's as opposed to 24 teams in 1992), and the stats don't look so gaudy anymore.

I'm not trying to poke holes, just trying to make it clear that these types of comparisons can't ever really be made by changing one element and leaving the rest alone.

By the way, I'm up to about 6 copies of the book, and maybe still going. It was an amazing read, my fiancee and I have gifted it to a number of "baseball indifferent" relatives with great results.

-Scott

Anonymous said...

Please soften up the previous comment, I was reading out of order and hadn't seen the posts from the past couple days. I know exactly what you're getting at about trying to compare players; with the larger context available, it sounds like you're trying to illustrate exactly how ineffective these comparisons can be.

Ryan said...

I don't know about today, but I did some work at the College World Series for four years in late 90s early 00s, and the best teams would be lucky to have one black player roster. Two was pushing it.

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons for it. I can't pretend to know all the factors.

I have noticed that Cajun country has a ton of players, and good chunk of them play college ball on teams in the south. Just look at the Cubs this year with Ryan Theriot and Mike Fontenot, both white players, and both from Cajun country. Both played ball at LSU, a college baseball powerhouse.

If you go down there, you're amazed about how nice the ballfields are, even at a relatively small college (program) like Lamar University. Baseball obviously still draws a lot of interest down there.

The white south is really into their baseball, and they give opportunities to white ballplayers to develop in good programs in college. (I'm not saying they don't give blacks opportunities. I have no idea if they do or don't. I'm just saying there are not a lot on their rosters.)

I would also like to point out that Fontenot is 5'8", 170 lbs. And Theriot is 5'11", 175 lbs. Both have played their way, if not into a starting role, then significant playing time on a Cubs team that could make it to the playoffs. In fact, those two are largely credited with helping turn the Cubs around with their energetic, fundamental style of play.

Given their size, you can't think that they would have been drafted (or at least drafted very high) by any major league team. They were able to develop a good skill set under good coaches in college, and now they're holding their own in the majors.

Anonymous said...

Based upon the facts which Posnanski has presented us, you could make a strong case that what Barry Bonds is doing today is much more impressive than what Ruth did in his career. Right?

Unknown said...

what would happen to andy van slyke's or barry bonds's numbers if they played in a league with only 16 teams? isn't it more likely that the stats a player accumulates are a result of the average talent level in a league rather than the presence of a few superlatives? if that talent pool were diluted by mediocrity, wouldn't a couple hundred at bats each season against space filling 5th starters and journeyman relievers more than balance out a handfull of at-bats against aces of color?

yet another argument that puts the futility of this discussion on display: its logical, but incomplete. why do we insist on finding a way to call it even, when we know it can't be? i suspect its got something to do with our desire to resolve the thinly-veiled, implicit racial issues. perhaps if we engaged in an honest, candid discussion of our racial past and present, and the media came out from behind its protective shield of political correctness, we'd feel more comfortable letting history make the record, rather than agonizing over how the record makes history.

Call of the Game said...

Excellent points. Xavier Hernandez, though, is very light-skinned and was born and raised in Texas.

Matt [redacted] said...

I've been thinking for a couple of years about trying to write a book investigating whether baseball is missing out on potential black players specifically or players from lower income areas in general.

I know low income does not equal black, vice versa, and even low income white does not equal low income black. But blacks represent a disproportionate amount of the lower income population, and if lower income populations were being excluded from the baseball industry somehow, the absence of blacks would be much more noticeable than the absence of lower income whites.

As for the dearth of great black pitchers, without doing a in depth study I have to wonder if there is some bias selection there as well. It doesn't seem impossible that a black athlete who has great power potential, good speed and a fantastic arm would be made an outfielder instead of a pitcher more often than a white athlete with the exact same skills. Just a thought.

Fantastic, fantastic blog by the way. I check multiple times per day, every day.

Lucius Calpurnius Capitolinus said...

The low income aspect is important. I spent hundreds of dollars on my team because of insufficient funds. Most schools prioritize their sports:

1. Football
2. Basketball
3. Everything else

This is especially true of the inner-city schools with which I am familiar. Baseball requires a specialized field, specialized equipment, and a lot of organization. None of these things are readily available in poor urban environments. That, if anything, is what affects blacks in baseball the most. It is not a lack of desire to play, it is a lack of organization and funding for the sport. If Major League Baseball would reach out to poor urban school districts and help them build their programs, both institutions would benefit in remarkable ways.

Anonymous said...

Joe,

Love your blog, quick thing that I want to point out about the recent argument.
Obviously Ruth's numbers would have been less impressive if the best African American and Latin American players were playing in the game at the time, but why limit it to that? What about Asian American, etc. etc.
The reason is because you have to realize that especially in regard to Latin Americans there were fewer Latin Americans in America during the 1920s, and so even fewer were actually playing baseball. As for Asian Americans you can make a similar population-related argument to disclude them from the argument.
Also, for all of Ruth's advantages, he also had some pretty huge disadvantage. Imagine a player today downing hot dogs and beers before games! Not to mention a player who, like Ruth, doesn't watch extensive film, lift weights, and so forth.
I think, as frustrating as this is, you really can't compare eras like some people would like.