First Base: Albert Pujols
I think I have mentioned this here before ... Albert Pujols did not finish first-team All-Metro in The Kansas City Star. I don’t bring this up to mock the man responsible for this Dewey Defeats Truman blunder – though that’s always fun – but more to bring up the sad explanation he offers. He always that Pujols was a terrible defensive shortstop in high school and, as such, not worthy of making the team.
(This friend is not one who easily admits he was wrong. He has made numerous fairly remarkable statements about various Royals including, at different times, calling Zack Greinke “a genius” and “a bust.” He remains convinced that he’s right about both, and with Zack, I guess, anything's possible).
ANYWAY, it strikes me that this Pujols explanation is precisely the way people generally use defensive judgments – they use them basically to back up whatever point they intend to make. As we know, there have never been particularly trustworthy defensive statistics, and so it’s easy to pretty much whatever claim you would like to make.
For instance, a scout friend of mine called a couple of days ago and said that Manny Ramirez is an “underrated defensive outfielder.” Now, first of all, this may be true, in that MannyBeingManny is rated as “Putrid” defensively, and he’s actually “Rancid,” and “Rancid” is better than “Putrid,” so that would make him underrated. In this same way you could say that Kenny G is underrated as a musician because he’s viewed by many people as the single worst musical atrocity to hit since a meteor crashed into the earth and killed all the dinosaurs (they say the sound was a lot like the Hall & Oates comeback album). But this is patently not true. Michael Bolton is demonstrably worse than Kenny G. Also the Peter Cetera incarnation of the band Chicago. Also Starship.
Second of all, he was trying to defend Manny Ramirez as a player, and instead of saying, “OK, look, he’s a clown, he doesn’t know where he is half the time, he runs the bases like he has only a passing understanding of the rules, he chases after balls into the corner with all the enthusiasm of a janitor trying to kill a large rat in a garbage dumpster (Editor’s note: I actually saw this in the fourth grade, and it is an image I’m not likely to ever forget), but occasionally he will shock you and make a decent defensive play or throw, and man he knocks the living crap out of the ball,” he gives me this, “He’s underrated defensively” nonsense.
But that’s how it goes: People have simply used defense to cover up the shortcomings of players they like or to tear down a player they have no particular use for. It isn't necessarily that the judgments are WRONG (it is acknowledged by most of the people who saw his games that Pujols really was a bad shortstop in high school). It is just that they are overplayed or underplayed to make a point. Managers always used to say stuff like, "Well, Player X can't hit, but he will save you 100 runs every year with his defense" or "Sure, Player Y can hit a little, but he will cost you 100 runs every year on defense," or some other absurd comment.
It’s funny: Baseball is the most precisely recorded game in the history of mankind; we can tell you with some statistical clarity who the best hitters are, who the best pitchers are, how many runs players create, how many wins they help earn, how they perform compared to their peers, how they perform compared to a replacement-level player, and so on, and so on. But it's still human nature to find vacuums and delve into myths because that's where we can shout our opinions loudest. Nobody can argue with any real authority that Jason Kendall can be of any use whatsoever with the bat or with his throwing arm. But they can shout all day about how well he "handles pitchers" or how he's "a leader."
ANYWAY, tangent there, sorry, Albert Pujols is my pick right now because he makes more plays outside the usual first baseman sphere than anyone in the game. He's sort of a second baseman playing first.
Casey Kotchman is a terrific defensive first baseman as well. Kevin Youkilis gets mention since he has not made an error all year, and he's probably the best in the game right now at reliably making all the routine to slightly above routine plays.
OK, I'm going to add a bonus: Top 5, and Bottom 5 at each position for this season so far. You can thank me by clicking here:
Best defensive first basemen (in order):
1. Albert Pujols
2. Casey Kotchman
3. Todd Helton
4. Kevin Youkilis
5. Sean Casey
Worst defensive first basemen (in order)
1. Dmitri Young
2. Richie Sexson
3. Nomar Garciaparra
4. Ryan Garko
5. Ryan Howard
And I apologize to the Derrek Lee fan -- his defensive numbers are pretty brutal, and my scouts reports on him aren't any better. I'll try to watch him closely the rest of the year.
20 comments:
Derek Lee deserves mention in this conversation about the best first basemen in the game. He's a multi-dimensional talent: great offense (except for the homerun this year, for some reason), good defensive range, digs out balls (he's making Aramis Ramirez look like a gold glover this year - consider that), takes a walk, high BA, etc. And he owns a number of those dreaded, qualitative intangibles you noted with regard to Kendall (except applied in other ways): leadership, responsibility, candid talk, good guy, team guy, etc. Lee is fantastic.
JP, do you have something against the Cubbies? Overexposure? - TL
I have to take exception to using either "rancid" or "putrid" to describe Manny's defense. Adam Dunn is both rancid and putrid in the OF. Manny is, at his worst, below average and usually plays better than that. And that is in terms of his ability to catch the balls that most LF should catch. When it comes to his throwing arm, his throws are accurate and with a quick release and that aspect of his defense is in fact above average.
I was going to tell you that I was going to buy the book, but now I will have to reconsider.
;)
I can't stand when someone gives their OPINION on something and then another person gets pissed off because that OPINION did not include their favorite player on their favorite team. So, of course, Joe has "something against the Cubbies." And when he doesn't pick Ichiro, he has something against the Mariners. And when he doesn't pick Scott Rolen, he has something against the Cardinals.
Also, Manny is average at best defensively. He doesn't hustle for anything, he loafs after anything hit at or around him and he has 4-5 bonehead plays on routine flys every year. But his arm is accurate and he has a very quick release. And don't give me that "he plays the Wall so well!" As (I think) Rob Neyer put it, he plays there 81 times a year. He BETTER play the wall better than anyone else.
I vote Youk. Mostly because the beard looks ridiculous, but he's keeping it anyway. And also the no errors thing. Oh, and the OBP.
Sticking in the AL, I'm also voting for Coco Crisp for CF (now that he's hitting the ball). I don't know if I've ever seen a center fielder make such spectacular get-to-it plays so consistently.
A few years ago Jim Edmonds seemed to make Baseball Tonight's Web Gems every night with an over-the-shoulder or diving-flat-out-into-the-wall grab. And it was amazing.
This year Coco is getting to those same type of hits while still on his feet.
And I think he's about to set, or has already set, some sort of record for errorless chances stretching across two seasons.
NL? Maybe Beltran, but I haven't seen many National League games. What kind of a year is he having with the Knickerbockers?
IMO, Jim Edmonds is a great defensive player that enhances his reputation by diving for balls within his range or catching balls and THEN making the dramatic dive/tumble/sprawl effect. But that may just be me.
Jason Kendall has an OPS of 243 since being acquired by the Cubs. That's some grit.
Hey, sorry, cards fan, I didn't mean to imply Edmonds wasn't a great defensive player. Just that this year I don't think there's a better center field being played by anyone but Crisp.
(Also, I stopped watching that atrocity that Baseball Tonight has become, so I'm missing any Edmonds highlights they might be running).
Tom, you may have misinterpreted me. I'm saying that he's great but he also makes relatively difficult catches look spectacular with dives, tumbles, etc. It's like he catches the ball in stride on the run and THEN falls or sprawls out for show.
Tom,
Beltran's the anti-Edmonds, in that he never looks like he's hustling -- in fact, I don't think I've seen him dive all year. Thing is, I still get that feeling in my gut when I see someone pop one off Glavine and I know it's going to be extra bases ... then in glides Beltran, making it look routine.
Look out for a kid in L.A.
James Loney has pushed Nomar over to third and he is a wonderful first-baseman. Rakes at the plate too.
Starship was also worse than Manny Ramirez's defense.
If you're at tonight's Giants-Braves game, how much does Tim Lincecum look like a little leaguer throwing 100mph in person? Watching him pitch is the single most fun part of watching the Giants.
I played against Pujols in high school, and I was an honorable mention pick on that very All-Metro team, and I felt the credibility of that team was destroyed by seeing Pujols on the second team.
Pujols was an all-or-nothing high school shortstop, yes. He botched routine grounders but made amazing plays, too.
But if memory serves me correctly, he hit over .650 that season. He didn't compile great offensive statistics otherwise because teams (like mine) walked him every single time he came up to bat. I think he had three official at-bats against us in two games, and he hit two homers.
Can't wait to see where Jack Cust or Russell Branyan show up.
Bag on Starship all you want, but "Jane" by Jefferson Starship is like butter to this rocker!
does anyone remember manny's cut off of johnny damon's throw like a couple of years ago... the single worst defensive play in the history of baseball
Hey Joe,
I think your description of Manny Ramirez — a genuine dope who can surprise you with his defense here and there — is pretty decent. Manny always had (or appeared to have) a strong throwing arm in his Cleveland days, and he still looks impressive on the occasional throw home. He leads AL left fielders in assists this year (with 7); meanwhile his range factor and zone rating look terrible, not that I have any idea what those numbers mean exactly, or to what degree Fenway plays into any of it.
Anyway, what's my point? I can't remember. I guess what I'm saying is that without any sense of the numbers, I'm not convinced that Manny isn't underrated (or, for that matter, that he is). Assists and especially fielding percentage are totally overrated as stats, of course, but if Manny's at least not botching the balls in his limited range, and if he's throwing out a few more baserunners per season than average, maybe that's enough to rate as underrated? Or maybe not. But I'd love for you to unpack your analysis a little.
The naked eye can be deceiving in all facets of baseball, but probably nowhere more so than on the defensive side. Case in point: the naked eyes of broadcasters and Yankees fans regarding that guy who plays shortstop in New York.
Less obvious case in point: I'd have thought Grady Sizemore was among the top several CFs in the game, but according to one advanced analysis (at Baseball Prospectus, maybe? I can't recall), he actually rates in the bottom five. So I'm not willing to take anything for granted, even Manny's over-, under- or through-ratedness.
Dean
P.S.: Is it too late to retract everything I said? I was trying to find proof I hadn't dreamed up that Sizemore stuff (uh, still looking), and in the meantime, all I came across was list after list ranking Ramirez dead last. So I guess your analysis doesn't need much unpacking after all. I should probably stop leaving comments at 4:30AM.
James Loney is gaining momentum as a top defensive first baseman. Here in LA, I'd say he's maore popular than Matt Kemp, perhaps the more touted prospect, and it's in part because of his glovework.
Watching Adrian Gonzalez this year, he's looked pretty good. I'd be surprised if 5 first basemen play better (but can't say with any certainty that they don't).
- Mike
Emil Brown just shot Karen Kornacki in the face. It is time to place him on waivers for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release. Let some other team deal with a bozo that would fire off a gun so that it would hit a reporter in the face. They need to do it ASAP and send a message to the rest of the team that this is unacceptable behavior. Release the bum.
Post a Comment