Icons ...
So, I've been thinking about doing this book about Stan Musial. It wouldn't exactly be a book about Musial ... it would be more about icons. I think if you were visited by your cousin from Trinidad or Brazil or Singapore -- well, name any non-baseball playing country where your cousin lives -- and they asked you to explain the meaning of a baseball icon (definition: "An important and enduring symbol"), you might just tell them the story of Musial. Maybe there are enough cousins out there to buy the book.
In any case, as I thought about Musial, I tried to come up with the icon for each team in the big leagues. I decided this time not to use any formulas or statistical comparisons ... I just chose a single icon, and I chose from the gut. Because of that, I don't feel at all good about some of the choices. I tried to put myself in Baltimore, for instance, and choose between Cal Ripken and Brooks Robinson. For me, Brooks was a much bigger icon. But I suspect for most Baltimore fans, Ripken would be the guy (and it wouldn't be all that close). Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's neither one. Maybe the right answer is John Shelby.
Point is: I'd be interested to hear from individual fans on this. And I promise to update wherever appropriate.
I also reserve the right to push The Soul of Baseball once since this is nominally a promotional blog. You know, Father’s Day is just around the corner.
(A few people have emailed me that they’re not too crazy about the name “The Soul of Baseball.” I should tell you up front that I didn’t like it much either. I wanted to call the book “Baseball and Jazz,” because Buck always said that the two best things in the world are “Baseball and Jazz.” That title drew a mixed response from the publishing house – some absolutely despised it while other more level-headed people felt much more negatively about it. We ran through a whole bunch of titles after that, and none of them worked, and they liked “Soul,” and after a while you stop fighting. I’ve grown used to the title by now. And, I still haven’t come up with anything better, although for the paperback version coming out next year I do like “Dave Barry on Baseball” along with “Seabiscuit II” and “As Good as that James Patterson Book! Really!”).
Arizona Diamondbacks
My icon: Nobody.
They haven't been around long enough to have an icon. I would say that Randy Johnson is probably the closest thing. Luis Gonzalez for a while seemed like a strong icon candidate -- he was prominent in the community, he played more than 1,000 games with Arizona, he had the 57 homer year. But I don't think it ever really happened. I’m told my old buddy Thom Brennaman is reaching icon status in Phoenix. I knew him when.
I also knew Hannah Storm when. Here’s a story: She was a weekend sports person in Charlotte when I was a young reporter at the newspaper. I was covering the clay court tennis tournament there (I think it was called the U.S. Clay Court Championships, but I could be wrong), and she called me up. She said, “Hi Joe, it’s Hannah, hey, I’m planning to talk about the tournament on the newscast this evening and I was wondering if you could help me fill in a few gaps.”
I said: “Sure Hannah. What do you need?”
And she said: “OK, first of all, who was playing?”
Atlanta Braves
My icon: Dale Murphy.
Chipper Jones is closing in on icon-status in Atlanta. And of course, you have the great pitchers of the 1990s, especially John Smoltz, who has been with the Braves for 20 years. But to me Smoltz has played so many different roles, he's had the injuries, he was not quite as good as Maddux and he’s very close to Glavine. I don’t think he stands out quite enough.
I think Hank Aaron has certainly built up icon status in Atlanta, and deservedly so, but he played most of his career in Milwaukee.
So I'll go with Dale Murphy. I lived in the semi-South (Charlotte) during the early 1980s, and I just remember what a seminal figure Murphy was then. He played center field, he could run, he hit with power, he was a great guy. That was when the SuperStation and the movie “Just One of the Guys” dominated cable. It was in those days when Atlanta was desperately buying up all the tickets in the "We're a major city too sweepstakes." Murphy was the symbol -- funny that a Mormon from Utah was a symbol of the New South. But I would say Dale Murphy was pretty much everybody's favorite player from Jacksonville to Raleigh.
Baltimore Orioles
My icon: Cal Ripken Jr.
Cal barely edges Brooks Robinson, and I mean just barely. I always sensed that being a hero was hard work for Ripken. With Brooks, it came out more naturally, or at least it appeared that way.
OK, here’s a question: Who was better?
Ripken was clearly a better hitter. His on-base percentage is 18 points higher, he slugged 46 points higher, he hit 100+ more doubles, 150+ more homers, and had an OPS+ of 112 to Robinson's 104. Ripken won two MVPs, Robinson won one. Robinson made 15 All-Star Games, Ripken played in 19.
Robinson did play in a significantly tougher hitting environment, but that doesn't make up the difference (as the OPS+ indicates). The truth is that Robinson was only a good hitter for eight or nine of his 23 seasons. He was only a great hitter from about 1964-68. Ripken was a pretty great hitter from 1982-1991, with occasional bursts after that.
Of course, Brooks Robinson was the greatest defensive third baseman ever. Ripken was no slouch defensively, especially his younger days at shortstop, but Robinson was an artist. I don't think that quite makes up the difference, though -- Ripken was the better overall player, I think. Bill James credits Ripken with 427 Win Shares and Brooks Robinson with 356, and I think that's about right.
Boston Red Sox
My icon: Ted Williams
Big Papi is working his way into full icon status, but it would be tough for anybody on the Red Sox to ever surpass the Splendid Splinter. The real question is: How would you rank the all-time Boston icons? I'll take a shot:
1. Larry Bird
2. John Kennedy
3. Bobby Orr
4. Ted Williams
5. Paul Revere
6. Bill Russell
7. Tom Brady
8. Henry David Throreau
9. Bob Cousy
10. Conan O’Brien or Tom Scholz
Not icons
1. Ben Affleck
Chicago Cubs
My icon: Ernie Banks
One of my all-time favorite teams is the 1966 Chicago Cubs. That team had four Hall of Famers on it (Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Ferguson Jenkins and Robin Roberts) one near Hall of Famer (Ron Santo), a former batting champ (Harvey Kuenn), a Gold Glove catcher (Randy Hundley), a future six-time All-Star shortstop (Don Kessinger), a future four-time All-Star second baseman (Glenn Beckert), a future 20-game winner (Ken Holtzman), FIVE past 20-game winners not even including Roberts (Ernie Broglio, Dick Ellsworth, Bill Hands, Billy Hoeft and Larry Jackson), a pitcher who won 18 games as a rookie (Chuck Estrada), a batter who once hit .330 with 24 homers in only 294 at-bats (Wes Covington) and three OTHER run of the mill former All-Stars (George Altman, Lee Thomas and Frank Thomas).
Oh yeah, that team was also managed by a Hall of Famer (Leo Durocher).
That Cubs team lost 103 games. One ... hundred ... and ... three ... games. Seriously, could any team better represent the Chicago Cubs? I hope last year on their 40th anniversary they were honored at Wrigley Field.
For a team with a storied history, the Cubs are somewhat low on icons. Many would consider Ryne Sandberg as a potential team icon – I wonder if he would beat Banks in a poll. Sammy Sosa, of course, had his chance. Nobody in Chicago really wants Cap Anson as the team's icon, though he's probably the greatest player in team history.
Chicago White Sox
My icon: Hawk Harrelson(?)
Yikes. He's the first name that came to mind when I thought about the White Sox. That's a terrible choice. HeGone. I suppose there's Luke Appling or Nellie Fox or Luis Aparicio, though I don't see any of them quite filling the role. You could go with Shoeless Joe Jackson, I suppose, but he played about as long in Cleveland as he did in Chicago. How about an all-time Chicago icon list?
1. Al Capone
2. Michael Jordan
3. Dick Butkus
4. Mike Ditka
5. Walter Payton
6. Ernie Banks
7. Mike Royko
8. Harry Caray
9. Gale Sayers
10. John Belushi or Barack Obama
Cincinnati Reds
My icon: Pete Rose
You know who was a huge icon in town when I was writing columns in Cincinnati? Chris Sabo. People just loved Sabo, and the big reason they gave is that Sabo drove a Ford Escort. New York and Los Angeles have always loved bigger-than-life figures – Magic Johnson, Joe Namath, Joe DiMaggio, Crazy Legs Hirsch. Cincinnati, probably more than any city I've ever been in, just wants its superstars to be regular guys.
The 1976 Reds really were amazing. That team only scored 857 runs -- which doesn't sound like much; it would be fewer than last year's Philadelphia Phillies, and exactly the American League average in that wild 2000 season. But in context, it was about a third more runs than the average National League team scored in 1976. Only the 1931 New York Yankees was better.
Here's what I love most about that '76 Reds team -- every regular single player (we're talking 10-deep here) was an above average hitter that season. Every one. They also were one of the best fielding teams in baseball history.
How good was that team? Pete Rose had one of his best seasons in 1976 -- he hit .323, had 215 hits (including 42 doubles), scored 130 runs. In another season, that wins the MVP award. On this team, it barely stands out.
-- Joe Morgan (37 win shares): Had one of the all-time great seasons. He hit .320, walked 114 times, banged 27 homers, scored 113 runs, droves in 111 runs, stole 60 bases and won the Gold Glove.
-- George Foster (25 win shares): Hit .306 with 29 homers and league leading 121 RBIs. He actually finished second in the MVP voting to Morgan (ahead of Rose).
-- Ken Griffey Sr. (25 win shares): Remarkable season; hit .336 (.401 OBP), scored 111 runs, stole 34 bases.
-- Dave Concepcion (23 win shares): Won the Gold Glove, hit .281, scored 74 runs, drove in 69 runs, stole 21 bases.
-- Johnny Bench (19 win shares): Down year for Bench, but still won the Gold Glove, hit 19 homers, and for some reason stole a career high 13 bases.
-- Cesar Geronimo (19 win shares): Hit .300 for the only time in his career, stole a career high 22 bases, finished second in the league with 11 triples, and won a Gold Glove in center field. In case you are counting that means the Reds won Gold Gloves at catcher, shortstop, second base and center field. That's fairly strong defense up the middle.
-- Tony Perez (16 win shares): Down year for Doggie -- the Reds thought he was slowing down and traded him shortly after the season. Still he drove in 91 runs and, also, stole a career high 10 bases. That was one running team. Every single player in the lineup, with the exception of Rose, stole 10 or more bases. And Rose stole 9.
-- Dan Driessen (7 win shares): Sub only hit .247 in 219 at-bats, but he walked a bunch (his OBP was .362), he hit seven homers, he stole 14 bases, he drove in 44 runs, and everyone in Cincinnati believed he would be a future star.
Cleveland Indians
My icon: Bob Feller
I think he's the right choice -- he's the best player in Cleveland Indians history and he has spent his life in Cleveland -- but I never really got the impression that Bob is uniquely beloved in Cleveland. This might be because he's been pretty cantankerous the last few decades ... although we Clevelanders don't really have a big problem with cantankerousness (Cantankour? Cantakerousnessness? Grumpiness?).
I can't really explain it, but I will say that growing up I heard much more about Rocky Colavito (and Lou Boudreau for that matter). And Rocky was in the title of Terry Pluto's terrific book about the Indians. So Rocky Colavito might be the real icon -- but it would be disrespectful to not give Feller his due.
Unless you want to consider Duane Kuiper.
One interesting thing about great Indians teams of the 1990s -- from 1994-1999 the Indians had a .595 winning percentage -- is that no real icon emerged. Carlos Baerga looked to be the most promising choice (he played with energy, hit rockets) but he faded fast. Jim Thome had icon status almost secured and he left. Manny Ramirez, Kenny Lofton and Albert Belle really had no interest in being icons. I suppose the closest thing was Omar Vizquel, but it’s tough to be an icon when you’re the fifth-best guy on a team.
Colorado Rockies
My icon: Nobody.
They haven't been around long enough. Todd Helton I suppose is the closest thing. Or Larry Walker. Anyway, with John Elway around there's no room for any more icons in Denver.
Detroit Tigers
My icon: Al Kaline
I'd be curious to hear from Detroit fans about Ty Cobb and his legacy in the Motor city. Cobb is obviously one of the more iconic figures in baseball history -- it seems wrong to not have him as Detroit's choice. But I get every impression that the right answer is Kaline, because he was a gentleman, because he excelled every year, because he was such a steady force in good years and bad ... I think Detroit fans would choose Kaline as the city icon, probably for all sports. But I could be misreading it.
Florida Marlins
My icon: Wayne Huizenga
No icon here. Luis Castillo has played the most games in Marlins history, by the way, and Dontrelle Willis has won the most games. Dontrelle has a chance, actually.
Houston Astros
My icon: Craig Biggio
I've always thought Jimmy Wynn was an iconic figure, in large part because of that "Toy Cannon" nickname, and also because he was really, really good. In 1968 and 1969 -- right in the heart of the Gibson era -- the TC had a .406 on-base percentage, a .490 slugging percentage, he mashed 59 homers despite playing in the worst-hitters park in the game. He walked 148 times in 1969 -- that team record would last 30 years. For his efforts in those two remarkable years, he was not even chosen to the All-Star Game, probably because his batting average was .269.
In any case, I think Biggio beats out Jeff Bagwell for icon, simply because he's done it a bit longer. I always think of both of them together -- Biggio and Bagwell -- and maybe they're co-icons. Nolan Ryan also qualifies here, but did you know he never won more than 16 games in any season he played with the Astros? I didn't.
Kansas City Royals
My icon: Emil Brown
He has led the team in RBIs each of the last two seasons and ... OK, yeah, it's George Brett. Of course. I've always felt a little bit for Frank White, who was a terrific player and grew up in Kansas City and is beloved, but not quite as much as George. George was a better player than Frank, of course, but it goes beyond that. George represented something to people in Kansas City -- he represented the big time. He always hit in the big moments. He cranked two of the most famous home runs in recent baseball history, both off of Goose Gossage. He played with abandon. And damn, he wanted to beat those Yankees.
OK, a list of all-time Kansas City icons.
1. George Brett
2. Harry Truman
3. Tom Watson
4. Len Dawson
5. Charlie Parker
6. Frank White
7. Tom Pendergast
8. Hallmark
9. Buck O'Neil
10. Arthur Bryant or Rush Limbaugh or Jesse James.
Los Angeles Angels at Anaheim
My icon: Gene Autry
I think that Vlad Guerrero, if he stays with the Angels for a few more years, has a chance to be the guy. But right now, only the old Cowboy stands out. Garret Anderson has played more games than any other Angels' player, and Chuck Finley has the most victories. Again, Nolan Ryan is a possibility.
Los Angeles Dodgers
My icon: Sandy Koufax
In 1963, Sandy Koufax went 25-5 with a 1.88 ERA. He struck out 306 batters. The league hit .189 against him. He won pitching's Triple Crown for the only time in his career.
Let's give you a few amazing feats from that season:
-- Twice that season, Koufax threw more than 160 pitches in a game (he pitched 12 innings against Philadelphia in May and threw 12 more against St. Louis in August).
-- On May 24 against San Francisco and Juan Marichal, he got lit up for five runs in 1/3 of an inning. He gave up singles to Jose Pagan and Willie McCovey to lead off the game, walked Willie Mays, gave up a three-run double to Orlando Cepeda, followed by a home run to Felipe Alou. After a strikeout, he gave up a single to Ed Bailey, threw a wild pitch, and he got yanked.
On August 15 against Milwaukee, it happened again. This time he gave up four runs in 1/3 of an inning. After getting Lee Maye to fly out, he gave up a single to Frank Bolling, another to Hank Aaron, another to Eddie Matthews (damn there were good hitters back then) and a home run to Gene Oliver. He got yanked.
Take away those two outings, and Koufax's ERA drops to 1.62. And the league batting average drops to .182.
-- Koufax started the season 6-1 with a 1.06 ERA with three shutouts.
-- Koufax ended the season 6-0 with a 1.49 ERA with one shutout.
-- One more: Koufax struck out 10 or more 11 times. This decade, the Kansas City Royals have had THREE pitchers strike out 10 or more in a game. Today's AFLAC Trivia question: Can you name those three pitchers. I'm saying you can't unless you cheat like I did.
I'm separating Los Angeles Dodgers icons from Brooklyn, by the way. I would say Jackie Robinson would be the Brooklyn icon, though you could certainly argue for Gil Hodges. Steve Garvey should have been a contender here, but he isn't. Vin Scully is, however.
Milwaukee Brewers
My icon: Hank Aaron.
I know he only played with the Brewers for a couple of years, but I've got to think those Milwaukee Braves years count.
I would be curious to know whether Milwaukee Brewers fans would choose Robin Yount or Paul Molitor as their icon. They were both considered pretty great guys (I don't think any player in sports history has ever rebuilt an image better than Molitor after his drug issues). Yount played his whole career in Milwaukee while Molitor had a couple of his best years in Toronto. So that's advantage Yount.
Molitor was a better hitter than Yount (higher average, OBP, SLG, more doubles, about 150 more runs scored), but Yount has his advantages too (more triples, homers, RBIs). Molitor played more games at DH than any other position. Yount meanwhile won a Gold Glove at short and was a pretty good center fielder.
Bill James calculates that Yount had 423 career win shares and Molitor had 414.
I'd say too close to call, but it's a blog and that's wimpy. I'd take Yount.
Minnesota Twins
My icon: Kirby Puckett
Things took a nasty and then tragic turn after he retired, but I don't know that any player in baseball history was more beloved in his hometown than Kirby Puckett circa 1995. The Twins have certainly had other iconic figures -- Harmon Killebrew, Tony Oliva, Kent Hrbek, Joe Mauer now -- but I think Puckett wins this going away.
New York Mets
My icon: Tom Seaver
I've had the good fortune (or whatever you want to call it) to have two close friends who were/are enormous New York Mets fans. Both of them idolized Tom Seaver. And both of them had bad experiences when they first met Tom Seaver. I can't recall the specific details, but I definitely remember the general point: Seaver was a jerk to them.
The interesting thing to me is that neither one of my friends allowed that bad experience to color their view of Seaver -- they still loved the guy. In a weird way, I thought, it kind of made them love him MORE, his jerkiness made him somehow into a larger figure. This has to be a New York thing. I cannot imagine how I would react had any of my childhood/college heroes (Duane Kuiper, Buddy Bell, Brian Sipe, Austin Carr, Bernie Kosar. Joe Charboneau, Ozzie Newsome, Mark Price) been jerks to me. I do know that Jack Brohamer once played catch with me in a parking lot, and I have loved the guy ever since.
AFLAC Trivia answer: The question was: Can you name the three Royals pitchers this decade to strike out 10 batters in a game? The correct answer is: “No, I can’t.” But the pitchers are: Blake Stein, Luke Hudson and Odalis Perez.
New York Yankees
My icon: Babe Ruth.
Let's go ahead and try to rank the Top 10 New York Yankees icons in order. It's almost impossible:
1. Babe Ruth
2. Mickey Mantle
3. Joe DiMaggio
4. Lou Gehrig
5. Derek Jeter
6. Reggie Jackson
7. Yogi Berra
8. George Steinbrenner
9. Don Mattingly
10. Whitey Ford
That's probably way off - I should ask Alex Belth to put a list together. In any case, it's an honest effort -- and how about having Lou Gehrig FOURTH? Say what you will about the Yankees (please do), but you could make a reasonable argument that the Top 4 icons in baseball history were all Yankees.
Here, as an added bonus, are the 10 best Frank Sinatra songs.
1. The Way You Look Tonight
2. Summer Wind
3. One For My Baby
4. The Coffee Song (as recorded on “Ring-a-Ding Ding”
5. I Get a Kick Out of You
6. Fly Me to the Moon
7. I Wish I were in Love Again
8. Moonlight in Vermont
9. Luck Be A Lady
10. Theme from New York, New York or My Way or one of those.
Oakland Athletics
My icon: Rickey Henderson
My first thought was Reggie Jackson, but he only played eight seasons in Oakland. I thought about Catfish Hunter then. And for some reason Joe Rudi popped into my head after that. Mark McGwire. Bert Campinaris. Point is, I thought about quite a few different players before I thought about Rickey Henderson. I guess that's because he has played for nine different teams, and he should be in the Hall of Fame by now but he won't stop playing, and he had FOUR different careers with Oakland.
1979-1984: Base stealer extraordinaire. Rickey had a .400 on-base percentage and stole 493 bases. He hit 10 home runs in a season once.
1989-1993: All-around superstar. Henderson's 1990 season is a marvel -- .325 batting average, 28 homers, 65 steals, .439 OBP. He hit with more power, got on base more and stole fewer bases. He was awfully good -- I'd take this Rickey Henderson.
1994-1995: Came back to the team after a brief and troubling few games in Toronto. You could see him slowing down, though he still managed a .409 on-base percentage.
1998: The old man comes home. He coudn't hit much, but he could still get on base (.376 OBP despite only a .236 average) and he stole an astonishing 66 bases at age 39 -- that's the most for any player older than 35.
Stolen bases for players older than 35
1. Rickey Henderson, 1998, age 39: 66 steals
2. Otis Nixon, 1997, age 38: 59 steals
3. Lou Brock, 1976, age 37: 56 steals
4. Lou Brock, 1975, age 36: 56 steals
5. Otis Nixon, 1996, age 37: 54 steals
I'd say he deserves to be the Oakland icon.
Philadelphia Phillies
My icon: Mike Schmidt
I'd like to put Robin Roberts in here because he has been a greatly underappreciated pitcher, and because he once called me out of the blue. I came home and there was a message on the machine, and it said something like: "Hi this is Robin Roberts, I used to pitch in the Major Leagues ..."
I thought: This has to be a prank. But I couldn't see the real prank value of anyone pretending to be Robin Roberts. I looked up his stats and could not believe how good he was in the early 1950s -- he won 20-plus games six straight years. Since the deadball era, only Lefty Grove (seven straight), Warren Spahn, Ferguson Jenkins and Roberts have pulled off that feat. But what blows you away about Roberts is that the guy threw 160 complete games from 1950-55.
To give you an idea how ridiculous that is, last year in the MAJOR LEAGUES there were 155 complete games.
Anyway, he was calling so we could meet at the Negro Leagues Museum and talk baseball. We did, and it remains one of the thrills of my professional life. He's a wonderful guy and a class act and an all-time great Phillies player.
The correct answer is still Mike Schmidt, of course.
Pittsburgh Pirates
My icon: Roberto Clemente
I think for a player to be an icon, you need to have a singular image in your mind. You have to think of Mays going back on Vic Wertz's fly ball, or Mike Schmidt's yanking a home run to left with that compact swing, or George Brett tomahawking that high fastball over the right-field wall or Pete Rose diving head first or Babe Ruth trotting around the bases.
With Clemente, there are so many images. But I think the most powerful is him chasing a ball down the right field line, whirling and whipping a throw across the diamond and nabbing a runner at third base. It's weird to say, but to me if Clemente had been exactly the same player and person he was -- .317 lifetime hitter, exactly 3,000 hits, four batting championships, terrific defender, heroic and traffic death -- but not had that amazing arm, I don't think he would be Pittsburgh's icon.
All time Pittsburgh icons:
1. Roberto Clemente
2. Terry Bradshaw
3. Mario Lemieux
4. Bill Cowher
5. Arnold Palmer
6. Willie Stargell
7. Andrew Carnegie
8. Mean Joe Greene
9. Johnny Lujack
10. Michael Keaton or Mr. Rogers
San Diego Padres
My icon: Tony Gwynn
You think this will ever happen again? A guy goes to play baseball and basketball at San Diego State. He is drafted on the SAME DAY by both the San Diego baseball team and the San Diego basketball team. He chooses baseball, and reaches the big leagues in almost exactly a year. He wins a batting title for the Padres in his first full season. He plays 20 seasons, all of them in San Diego. He wins eight batting titles and hits .394 one season when the players decide to go on strike. He also wins five Gold Gloves. He also is an entirely classy guy. When he retires, he becomes the baseball coach at San Diego State.
I wonder who the San Diego icon is.
San Francisco Giants
My icon: Willie Mays
Stretch McCovey is a good option too. And then there's Barry Bonds.
What was Willie Mays' best season? Using runs created, it was 1954, when he hit .345 with 41 homers, 110 RBIs and 119 runs scored.
Using OPS+ it was 1965 when he hit .317 with 52 homers, 112 RBIs, 118 runs scored and a .645 slugging percentage.
Using power/speed numbers it was 1956, when he hit 36 homers and stole 40 bases.
Using Win Shares it was 1965, but 1962 came really close, that year he hit .304 with 49 homers, 141 RBIs and 130 runs scored.
Any my personal favorite year is 1955, when he hit .319 with 51 homers, 127 RBIs, 13 triples, 24 stolen bases and 34 more total bases than anybody else.
He was pretty good.
Seattle Mariners
My icon: Ken Griffey Jr.
For a team that has only been around since 1977, they have several icon possibilities: The young Randy Johnson; the young A-Rod; professional hitter Edgar Martinez; the irrepressible Jay Buhner. But Junior's the guy. It really is stunning to compare Seattle Griffey vs. Cincinnati Griffey:
Seattle Griffey:
Hit .299 with 398 homers and 1152 RBIs. Slugged .569. ... Ten-time All-Star. ... Played 150+ games six times. ... His comps included Frank Robinson, Hank Aaron and Mickey Mantle. ... Lovable. Everyone called him the Kid. ... Won 10 Gold Gloves ... Led the league in homers four times ... Won an MVP award.
Cincinnati Griffey:
Has hit .273 with 176 homers. Slugged .531 ... Two-time All-Star ... Played 150+ games zero times ... His best comp would probably be Dave Justice ... Not so lovable. ... Won zero Gold Gloves. ... Led the league in homers zero times.
If Seattle fans don't want Griffey as their icon, then broadcaster Dave Niehaus isn't a bad substitute.
St. Louis Cardinals
My icon: Stan Musial
Well, he was the whole point of this exercise. I have a lot to say about Musial but I'll save that and for now just give you one of Bill James’ absolute favorite baseball facts. You probably already know that both Griffey and Musial were born in Donora, Pa.
So Ken Griffey Jr. is the second-best, left-hand hitting, left-hand throwing outfielder ever born in Donora, Pa.
On November 21st.
Tampa Bay Devil Rays
My icon: Nobody
Way too soon. Carl Crawford has a chance, but I suspect he won't be with the Devil Rays forever. I'll predict without hesitation that the team icon won't be Elijah Dukes.
Texas Rangers
My icon: Nolan Ryan
He’s not a great choice, but nobody really comes to mind. I guess you could put Rafael Palmeiro here, but I don't think anybody wants that. Pudge? I think he's more of a Detroit Tiger now. David Clyde? Oddibe McDowell? A-Rod in his money-chasing phase? I'll go with Ryan even though he only played five seasons in Texas, and all those as an old man. I think he represented something larger to Rangers fans. Of course, so did Chan Ho Park.
Toronto Blue Jays
My icon: Dave Stieb(?)
I don't feel good about it, but he's the guy who comes to mind. Joe Carter? Tony Fernandez? Vernon Wells? George Bell? While Seattle is loaded down with icon possibilities and has had few baseball successes, Toronto has the two World Series titles and few icon possibilities. Maybe there's someone obvious I'm forgetting.
Washington Nationals
My icon: Jesus Colome
Hey, he leads the team with four wins.
53 comments:
Ted Williams is, obviously, the greatest player in Red Sox history. That said, whenever I think "Red Sox", I think Johnny Pesky.
Obviously the Nats haven't been in DC long enough to have an icon yet (although Zimmerman has a shot if he sticks around), but since the Twins and Rangers appear uninterested in their Washington histories, we've sort of unofficially reclaimed them.
That leaves you with two big baseball icons in town: Walter Johnson and Frank Howard. Johnson, obviously, was the better player, and he has a couple of schools named after him and the like.
Howard, though, still has a towering image here. It may just be because people remember when he played, but Hondo's still popular.
Still, going from the gut, I've gotta take the Big Train.
How about Robbie Alomar for the Jays? He was their best player when they won back to back championships.
I also think you may have underrated Honus Wagner as a Pittsburgh icon. I know that was 100 years ago, but he was the biggest Pirate icon of the 1st half century.
Too bad for Dave Winfield that Tony Gwynn came along.
Also too bad that there's no Montreal icon. I think it would be Rusty Staub.
My dad came from Monongahela, next door to Donora and said he once dated Musial's sister. Who knows if it is a true story.
I think Billy Martin should be on you list for the New York Yankees. Earl Weaver and Jim Palmer could be at least considered for Baltimore.
What about Frank Thomas or Nellie Fox for the White Sox icons
I've never even BEEN to Toronto, so am completely unqualified to speak for hometown fans. But I followed the Jays pretty closely for several years, and it's sure my impression that Carter was the soul of that championship squad. Plus, there's that home run off Williams for the iconic moment.
I have to speak for the team I grew up with and know the most...The Milwaukee Brewers. When people in Wisconsin talk about the Brewers, the most beloved and recognized name is "Rockin'" Robin Yount. Hank was a great player, just not for the Brewers. The Milwaukee Braves, definately. Not the Brewers. As far as Molitor goes, he broke a lot of hearts and angered many fans when he left . We understand why he left, but it still stings. I might even put Cecil Cooper or Geoff Jenkins ahead of Molitor, just because of the scars his leaving Milwaukee left. Anyway, just a little input from a life long Brewers fan.
I lived there for quite awhile after both of their careers were over, and I wouldn't undersell the iconic status of Richie Ashburn in Philly.
I'm not saying Schmidt is the wrong choice, and clearly he was a better player, but Ashburn was HUGE in Philly and had the long broadcasting career.
In some ways, the lingering image of Schmidt in Philly is this great, MVP level player getting booed. There remained some of that bizarre irritation with Schmidt among a certain segment of the fanbase; that somehow he should have been better (instead of merely the best 3rd baseman ever).
Also, I'm not entirely convinced that Stargell isn't the right answer in Pittsburgh, but I'm not going to argue with Clemente.
I bet Seattle would choose Edgar.
Finally, because he in many ways defines the word "icon," and should be on this list somewhere, I'd choose Nolan Ryan for the Angels.
Ken Griffey Jr. saved baseball in Seattle. Before him, the M's had no superstars, nobody who the rest of the nation would pay attention to, nobody people would come to the park just to see. Junior represented all of those things. He gave the M's a legitamacy both in Seattle and throughout the country they never had before. Safeco Field does not get built without him and the M's are in Tampa.
And yet . . . Edgar was/is beloved in Seattle. He was a great hitter. The single greatest and most important play in Seattle sports history was his double to beat the Yankees in the 1995 playoffs. But the greatest thing about Edgar is that, in the end, he stayed. Unlike Junior, Johnson and A-Rod, Edgar wanted to be in Seattle. And he is still here. And the fans here have responded to that.
Thanks for mentioning Dave Neihaus. Any sense of M's history comes from him.
Frank Thomas, ChiSox...maybe maybe not...needs a mention
Rush Limbaugh (is he Kansas City?) i think is higher
I know this derogates your book a teanse, but how far is puj from stan in st louie? He's at least no. 2 and close (ie 3 yrs) from supplanting The Man.
I agree with the earlier poster who argued that that Ashburn is probably the Philly icon. Schmidt's grumpy demeanor doesn't sit well with the local fanbase. Whitey, based in large part on his broadcasting career, was, and still is, beloved in town.
For the Twins, I'd take Killebrew over Puckett by a whisker, mostly because Killer has been so visible and active with the club and the community for so long.
There atre just too damn many Yankees to choose from, but when I was growing up a Yankee fan (I got over it), it was Casey Stengel.
Helton watch: .327 as of yesterday.
You wouldn't pick Hank Aaron as the Atlanta Brave icon because he was a Milwaukee Brave longer. But the Milwaukee Brave icon was Eddie Matthews, who played all 13 years there and was the teeams Golden Boy. He was the home run king and the fan's favorite beginning in 1953.
Cincinnati Reds
My icon: Pete Rose
Sigh... I know it's true for a majority of Reds' fans, but this fan of 51 seasons finds that loathsome, lying scumbag the blackest mark in a proud franchise's history. I almost parted ways with my Reds because of his ever-present visage (and Marge's ever-present mouth), even after he was shown to be such a low-life that he couldn't meet the entrance requirements for Dante's lowest circle of Hell.
My icon: Mr Redlegs, with his handlebar moustache intact.
I have to agree with the folks who believe Richie Ashburn is the icon for the phillies. It is a bit strange, considering how good a player Mike Schmidt was. Clearly Ashburn is popular in part because of his broadcast career, but I think it is even more due to the 1950's "whiz kids". It was the year I was born, but I think that team cemented the city's love for baseball, making it a real baseball city. And Ashburn personified the Whiz kids.
From the Comerica Park press box:
How about Ozzie Guillen for the White Sox?
The Detroit icon would be Gordie Howe, followed by Joe Louis, Steve Yzerman and then Cobb and Kaline, probably in that order.
Isiah Thomas and Barry Sanders might have been as high as third during their playing days, but both ruined their chances with post-career nonsense.
(Carlos Beltran just scored on a wild throw to second base on a steal attempt. The ball hit his shoulder, bounced into shallow left and he scored while Omar Infante played Johnny Pesky.)
If Hank Aaron can be the Brewers icon, how about Walter Johnson for the Nationals? Technically, he played most of his career as a Washington National.
Isn't Jeff Conine Mr. Marlin? Wouldn't that count?
And Tim Salmon has to qualify for the Angels--remember the annoucers salivating over him during the 2002 WS?
Yankees Icon additions: Thurman Munson, Phil Rizutto
Expos: Andre Dawson, Tim Raines
BlueJays: Tom Henke, Pat Hentgen and Ernie Whitt
Pittsburgh: I gotta put Dave Parker ahead of Michael Keaton or Mr. Rogers (though Rogers did have that great arm)
White Sox icon - Minnie Minoso.
As a 4th generation lifelong Cincinnatian, I'd like to nominate a list of Icons for the Queen City that does not include Charlie Hustle, who we must set aside as a polarizing special case.
1) (tie) Marty Brenneman and Joe Nuxhall
2) Johnny Bench
3) Oscar Robertson
4) Boomer Esiason
5) Tony Perez
6) Barry Larkin
7) Anthony Munoz
8) Davey Concepcion
9) Bob Huggins
10) Ted Klusewski
Note even without Pete, the Big Red Machine still dominates the Cincy sports landscape, including longtime hitting coach Big Klu.
I also doubt you find a more loved sports figure in the country than the "old left hander" Joe Nuxhall.
Could you do one for Les Expos?
Chicawgo icons:
Richard J. Daley
Buddy Guy
Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill
Hee hee. Interesting joke at the end of the entry, but seriously, the closest person to an icon in Washington for the Nationals would be Ryan Zimmerman. It doesn't matter that he's currently hitting .248 with an OBP of .306 (the second lowest out of anybody on the team with at least 100 PAs). Washington loves him for all of the clutch moments that are in him, from the walk-off home run against Wang Chien-Ming and the Yankees on June 18 of last year to his 3-run home run off of Johan Santana yesterday. Although I do second Walter Johnson for icon, even if most people in Washington did seem to forget him, but if you go back to 1927 and ask the same question he'd win in a landslide. Besides, 417 wins > 4 wins.
Oh, and the team leader in wins for this year's Yankees is currently the aforementioned Wang Chien-Ming, who missed almost a month on the DL. XP
With respect to who achieves "icon" status in Detroit. My list looks like this:
1) Gordie Howe
2) Bo Schembechler (does he count?)
3) Steve Yzerman
4) Al Kaline
5) Kirk Gibson
Gordie Howe requires no explanation as he's Mr. Hockey. Bo is Bo, and he still is the face of UM football. Stevie Y will always be the "Captain". Al Kaline and Gibson are icons to different generations of Tiger fans, although Kaline gets a slight edge due to his longer tenure in the broadcast booth (and his ability to avoid an embarrassing stint as a coach).
Al Kaline would get my vote, but you can't go wrong with Gibby. His homer off Goose Gossage in the '84 World Series was an unforgettable moment.
Tell your editors the blog works -- I love the blog and so just bought three copies of the book.
I'll let you know when my book is out so you can return the favor. :)
Also to Jim H., there is no way Harmon Killebrew is the Twins icon over Kirby.
Try this:
1. Puckett
2. Hrbek
3. Carew
4. Killebrew
5. Oliva
6. Blyleven
7. Santana
8. Morris
9. Molitor
10. Kaat
Destined for the highest reaches of this list: Mauer
(Non-players: Herb Carneal, Tom Kelly, Bob Casey)
Ashburn is the correct answer in Philly. Any other answer just means you don't actually live here.
My St.Louis icon list:
1. Musial
2. Bob Gibson
3. Ozzie Smith
4. Jack Buck
5. Mark Mcguire
I think Ron Santo could perhaps be above Ernie Banks for the Cubs. That may sound crazy, but everyone loves Ronnie, and his quest for the HOF has boosted him the past several years. Plus, there's nothing quite like his cry of agony on the air when the Cubs blow a game;-)
I agree with Ozzie Guillen for the White Sox. Others who would rank above Hawk Harrelson are Paul Konerko, Harold Baines, Frank Thomas, Bo Jackson, Carlton Fisk, Dick Allen, Minnie Minoso, and a bunch of guys from the 1959 team. Unfortunately, some of those guys are more famous for their time with other teams.
The most representative player of White Sox history is Jerry Dybzinski.
There are so many good choices for the Dodgers, perhaps even too many to name just one, so I would say Vin Sculley. He has been there to see most (if not all) the possible Dodger legends and all generations of Dodger fans can relate to him.
The Texas Rangers icon was Charlie Hough.
Joe,
OK, I get the tongue-in-cheek aspect of your lists, but ranking Buck below a bland greeting card corporation on your KC icons list is just wrong. Hell, go ahead and put Lin Elliott and Neifi Perez at the 5 and 6 spot while you're at it. And where's Count Basie?
And if Rush Limbaugh is going to be on the KC icon list, then why wasn't Ann Caulter or George W on the New York or Houston lists, respectively?
This is why KC gets its Cow-Town handle: even the people who live here don't respect its heritage.
That said, I love the blog and loved the book. It reminded me of being with Buck, which is a very special and difficult-to-capture feeling. Well done.
Tim Salmon is worthy of the Angel Icon. Played his whole career for the Angels and it was a very good career.
Jim Fregosi in the late 70's would have been the icon but I think Tim Salmon has easily passed in popularity.
two remarks:
While Junior is certainly the best player in seattle history, I think that almost to a person everyone in seattle would pick Edgar as the icon of the mariner franchise. Griffey is not well remembered for the way he orchestrated his exit.
I think Hank Greenberg deserves serious consideration for the Tigers.
Joe Carter as the Toronto icon?
boston:
we've got a lot of history, my friend. paul revere is up there.
the adams family. hancock.
i will say that to have Bird above them all is probably off.
Ted is up there. Bobby Orr is up there. Bill R. is way up there. Bird, while great, is in the top 5 but not #1. Brady is up there...
San Diego icon list:
1. Tony Gwynn (nobody is bigger than Tony here...literally and figuratively)
2. Ted Williams
3. Bill Walton
4. Dan Fouts
5. Jerry Coleman
6. Don Coryell
7. Marcus Allen
8. Lance Alworth
9. Shamu
10. Raquel Welch
"Hi this is Robin Roberts, I used to pitch in the Major Leagues ..."
That cracks me up for some reason. Yea, Robin I know who you are. You're in the FREAKIN' HALL OF FAME!
Kansas City Icons:
1. George Brett
2. Harry Truman
3. Lenny Dawson
4. Tom Watson
5. Ewing Kauffman
6. Tom Pendergast
7. Buck O'Neil
8. Lamar Hunt
9. Charlie Parker
10.Calvin Trillin or Jason Sudeikis or the gay guy from "Real World: Miami"
You could surpass them Joe! Someday!
I always thought Amos Otis got the shaft as far as iconic status. I thought he was dead until I saw him at the T-Bones game last year. He was as good as Frank. I guess Frank deserves his icon status though for being from KC and living here and being part of the community.
Boston Bird is the king, with Russel being second. Teddy Ballgame and Orr are probably tied.
#5 - the entire 67 miracle team that led to Red Sox nation. Good blog, Chad Finn pointed me this way.
Valient effort w/ the Boston Icons, Joe. But I don't think you quite got it.
Also, here's another vote for Ashburn.
In Milwakee, what about Cecil Cooper or Gorman Thomas, although Yount is still #1
I grew up in Boston and two me there's not a stronger Boston baseball iconic moment than Pudge Fisk willing the ball fair in 1975. Teddy Ballgame probably still ranks #1 overall, but how does Fisk -- a New England native, btw -- not even merit a mention?
Also was surprised not to see Lefty Carlton merit at least a runner up mention in the Philly discussion.
Where's Red Auerbach on the Boston list? He would have to be three behind Williams. Tip O'Neill should be there too. Bird's big, but he's four, maybe five behind Orr. Jack Kennedy has to be number one.
For the A's you could at least consider Eck. I'm from Maryland and have no idea how A's fans feel, but he strikes me as pretty iconic, what with the double career and the facial hair.
Anyway, as to Brooks versus Cal, I grew up idolizing Cal Ripken (as did anyone else born in the 80s), so I'd probably say him. But a lot lot LOT of people would say Brooks. A lot of them.
Others possibly on the list: Earl Weaver, Rick Dempsey (for the tarp sliding and the WS MVP. He's kind of tarnished it by being an idiot analyst on MASN), Palmer (also tarnished by being an arrogant jerk as an analyst), Rex Barney (ok, a stretch, but "Give that fan a contract!" was one of the greatest things ever about going to O's games.), and Boog Powell (not really, but the BBQ is good).
So, yeah. I'd give the nod to Cal too, but Brooks was really good. I've always had a soft spot for F-Robby, but I guess he's too much of a hardass to ever really be beloved by any set of fans.
As far as Tom Seaver...I found it extremely interesting about what you said. The guy is undoubtably the best player that the Mets had ever, but what an ass. I used to turn down the sound when he did the games a couple years ago, and granted, I'm too young to have memories of him playing, but I don't like him. I did hear this story about him once: Some fan had the front page of some NY newspaper from the day after the Mets won the '69 series. He had gone all over the place to get it signed by every team member and at some point he had most of them, not Seaver though. He caught up with Seaver at some baseball card show after he retired and gave him the well kept newspaper page to sign. At which point Seaver ignored him because he was eating his lunch, signed the thing and in the process leaked oil and vinegar dressing from his sandwich all over the damn thing...what an ass. If it was up to me, I think the entire 1986 Mets should tie for icon status. Unlike Seaver, none of those guys were there long enough to be considered icons, but the team itself? If you go to Shea, that's what they have pictures of everywhere, in the dugout, in the press box, all you ever remember is the '86 Mets. It was like the one year that the Mets were able to steal NY from the Yanks. Mookie, Dykstra, Hernandez, Strawberry, Gooden, HOJO, Carter, Darling, Ojeda, Fernandez, and the list goes on. I was 3 years old in 86 and I remember it pretty well, and I know all those guys because they are THE legacy of the Mets...THE icon together...but maybe that's just cause there were so many bad teams afterwards...haha...love it.
As a New Englander, I feel that Teddy Ballgame has kind of been pushed on us under-45-year-olds by the media. I grew up in the 70s - and in those days Yaz was clearly the icon, no question. I suppose in retrospect it's clear that Ted Williams career was far greater than Yaz's, but for much of the 70s and early 80s Ted really didn't get brought up that much. Of course these days Yaz seems completely forgotten.
I think Orr's icon rating is also dropping like a rock with the younger generations - the decline of the Bruins and the NHL in general probably has a lot to do with this.
Seattle, Ichiro? Not even a mention? When I think Ken Griffey Jr, I think "Cincinatti Reds" not "Seattle Mariners."
But when I think Mariners, I think Ichiro.
As a Houston Astros fan my entire life, I would definitely say that we could make a legitimate case for four players as icons for the team.
Back in the day we had Larry Dierker as the ace of our team. Around ten years after that we had Nolan Ryan and him being a Houstonian we really accepted him like we accepted Andy Pettitte and Roger Clemens.
However for the last 15 years the one guy who has been the face of our franchise was Jeff Bagwell. Not only was he an MVP player, but he was a great guy who would make sure that he would always be the last person to leave the ballpark so that he could sign autographs for us fans. Craig Biggio has always been a fan favorite as well, and for fifteen years it was Bags and Bidge.
By the way, Roy Oswalt is making a strong push to being the face of the franchise for the next couple of years along with... HUNTER PENCE!
Hey there Joe, I just came across your blog a few weeks ago and I've been greatly enjoying pouring through the archives ever since.
As a lifelong Blue Jays fan, I guess I'd have to go with Joe Carter as the team's icon. Alomar would've had it except for the unfortunate spitting incident in 1995, and Roy Halladay might soon be up there in a few more years or if the Jays somehow make the postseason soon. If you're looking off-field, the Jays' biggest franchise icons are probably Tom Cheek and Jerry Howarth, the longtime radio duo. I'd make up a top-10 Toronto sports icons except it would be literally all Maple Leafs except for Carter (no higher than eighth) and Pinball Clemons of the Toronto Argos.
Also, re: the Milwaukee icon. I have to agree with the commenters who went with Yount over Molitor. My personal experience with this came on a 2006 trip to Miller Park. My pals and I go on a yearly baseball road trip, and after getting a Clemente throwback jersey in Pittsburgh in 05, I wanted to make buying a throwback into a trip tradition. After inexplicably being able to find a Fergie Jenkins jersey in any of the 2593 Cubs memorabilia stores around Wrigley, the backup plan was to get a Paul Molitor jersey at Miller. I mean, as you said, the Brewers have had only two icons in their history -- Yount and Molitor. But lo and behold, there were dozens of Yount jerseys available, but not a Molitor to be found. There were also plenty of Carlos Lee jerseys suddenly on sale since he was traded to Houston literally as we were standing in the store. Far out.
Full account of the trip is located at
http://polivision.blogspot.com/2006/08/peanuts-and-crackerjack-baseball-road.html
Please be nicer on it than Costas was with your Mantle article.
Post a Comment