Friday, February 23, 2007

The Music of Denny

Longtime Royals’ radio announcer Denny Matthews won the Ford Frick Award this week, which set off a fairly predictable chain of events in my hometown.

Event 1: I wrote a column celebrating and congratulating Denny for his award.

Event 2: Lots of people wrote in to say how much they despise Denny – and by extension, how much they despise me for liking the guy.

This has happened pretty much every time I have mentioned the name Denny Matthews, who has been Royals radio announcer for 38 years – since the first game – and yet still does not seem to be as beloved in Kansas City as you might expect. Quite the opposite, in fact. Only soccer columns, defenses of Chiefs coach Herm Edwards, nice words about the University of Kansas or the Democratic Party (not related) and anything at all said about Mark McGwire or Barry Bonds spark more negative feedback in Kansas City than a positive Denny Matthews column.

It’s the strangest thing. I have never lived in Detroit, but my impression is that the wonderful Ernie Harwell is universally beloved there. Same with Vin Scully in Los Angeles. I saw it up close with Joe Nuxhall In Cincinnati … Nuxie is the biggest man in town (it now occurs to me that even though I was a columnist in Cincinnati for three years, I must never have used the word “Nuxie,” because I have no idea how to spell it. Could be “Knucksie,” I suppose, or “Knucksy” or “Nuxxy” or “Nuxxee”).

I remember Herb Score being well-liked in Cleveland, even if people did call him Herb “No” Score. We all know how big Jack Buck was in St. Louis and Harry Caray in both St. Louis and Chicago. Dave Niehaus was supposedly named the Seattle sports personality of the last century. The point is that even though baseball announcers throughout America have varying styles and volumes and skill levels ... after a number of years all that becomes beside the point. The announcers become something like city landmarks or something. Quality is not the point when you grow up with a voice, and that voice is about summer and baseball and no school and barbecues and home runs and strikeouts.

How can you help but love the baseball voice you grew up with?

Somehow, though, Denny has never quite jumped to that city landmark level. Many seem somewhat oblivious to him, which is no big surprise I suppose. But what does surprise is that a lot of people actively dislike him – and nothing about Denny is actively dislikeable. About the worst you could say about him is that he can be dry. He doesn’t yell over home runs nor do some sort of Russ Hodges dance every time a closer gets the final out in the ninth (though Royals closers in recent years do get people out in the ninth only moderately more often than Bobby Thomson hits a homer off of Ralph Branca to win the pennant).

Denny pronounces names correctly, and he gets the count right, and he doesn't often stumble over his calls, and he can slip some insight into the empty spaces. He sometimes makes me laugh too. More, he explains what happened – perhaps more dispassionately than fans might like but with Swiss precision. Nobody could say they listened to a Denny Matthews broadcast and didn’t know what happened in the game. You will know everything, from which way the wind was blowing to what the left fielder was doing on a ground ball hit to third base. Put it this way: If you were snowed in at an out-of-town airport while your daughter had her first ballet recital, you would want Denny Matthews to call the action for you.

When I first arrived in Kansas City, I did not like Denny Matthews’ radio call much either. Where was the excitement? The passion? The clever home run calls? The attitude? I had come from Cincinnati, where Marty Brennaman had filled every radio broadcast with attitude – wisecracks and opinions and jokes and insults. I loved it. You always knew where Marty stood. Once in 1995, after the Reds reached the NLCS and drew thousands of no-shows to the first game, I wrote a scathing column ripping the city. Hey, I was young. The next night, Marty walked over to me and said, “I’m going to tear off a piece of your hide on the air tonight.” And he did. I’m still missing that piece of hide. A few months later, though, he told all of Cincinnati and anyone else listening to WLW that I was a bright young columnist who would go far in this world. It was always better when Marty was on your side.

A Denny broadcast was quite the opposite of Marty. He wasn’t tearing off hides. Denny stuck to game the way a Hollywood actor sticks to the script. He could squeeze in zingers, but it took me years to realize it. Now I do. When an umpire’s strike zone bounces around, he might say, “Here’s the windup, the pitch, and it’s down the middle for a ball.” When Angel Berroa goes through one of his periodic swing-wildly-at-anything phases (current phase began in May, 2004), he might say: “Well, hitters have been swinging at that outside pitch in the dirt for 100 years, and nobody’s hit it yet.” If a manager makes too many pointless late-inning moves in a 7-1 game, he might say, “Well, this manager’s going down swinging. And he’s taking all of us with him.”

It is good stuff. And it is easy to miss.

(A fan called in to say that one Denny call he always loved happened whenever a batter checked his swing. Denny would say “He had a notion.” The fan thought that was unique. I’m not sure if it is unique, but it does remind me that for years I thought the Beach Boys’ song lyric was: “If everybody had a notion across the USA, then everybody’d be surfing, like Californ-I-a.” But I guess it’s actually: “If everybody had an ocean across the USA …”)

In time, I just grew to appreciate Denny’s understated style. If a baseball announcer is really supposed to be the background music of summer, then Denny played the bass just right. For me, he became the easiest listen … I would have him on while I worked or mowed the lawn or took long trips or talked with buddies and just let the game fade in and out.

Obviously, though, some do not feel that way. Why do they despise Denny? Maybe it’s because he never has become a big part of the Kansas City community. Denny is a private guy, a homebody; he simply is not the kind of guy who could open up a big and loud sports bar in the heart of the city or bring out the fans to a charity event. His lack of a catch phrase is admirable in a time when every single young announcer coins some stupid slogan (“Great Googly Moogly!”). But because he has had no catch phrase and no “I-do-not-believe-what-I-just-saw” moment (nobody even remembers what he said when Dane Iorg looped the hit to right field), fans have had a hard time attaching any sort of personality to Denny. I think after 38-plus years, many still feel like they don’t know him.

And finally, for the last 15-plus years, Denny has been responsible for bringing mostly bad news to Kansas City baseball fans. Hey, you try calling Jose Lima and Darrell May on back-to-back nights. There are ways a losing-team announcer can be popular, of course, but these involve escaping the team’s shell by being funny or grandfatherly or sarcastic or bawdy (a great word, by the way) or larger than life. Denny simply cannot be any of these things. It’s not in him. He is an observer, a mirror, and when the game is lousy, he describes a lousy game. There have been a lot of lousy games in Kansas City lately.

Then there are those who simply feel he brings no passion to the game, no love for the Royals, no excitement about baseball. These are subjective things. I have been in Kansas City for more than 10 years, and I do hear those things in Denny’s voice now. We all hear what we hear. I remember a few years ago, I was talking to a fellow Cleveland guy. He was a few years older than me, and he was going on and on about the catastrophic awfulness of Indians longtime announcer Herb Score on the radio. He was talking about how Herb went off on goofy tangents constantly and got the count wrong and often messed up names and spent more time talking about tomorrow’s promotion than today’s action. And, of course, would go millennia without giving the score.

I was shocked. I wasn’t shocked because the guy was inaccurate – he was probably pretty accurate. I was shocked because I had grown up listening to Herb Score – hundreds and hundreds of games – and I had not heard any of those things. I had simply heard baseball. I had heard my friend, Herb Score, tell me night after night about my heroes, about Duane Kuiper and Rick Manning and Andre Thornton and Buddy Bell and Rick Waits and Sid Monge and Charlie Spikes and Jim Norris and – no don’t stop me, this is fun – and Joe Lis and Tommy Veryzer and Jack Brohammer … I can still hear Herb Score say each and every one of these names. I cringed with every “Throw to first, back safely,” he uttered, (he said it fast too, like one word, “Throwtofirstbacksafely.”). I imagined exactly how the park looked every time Herb described the weather (Herb talked more about the weather than Willard Scott). I fell asleep to Herb Score’s voice. I never saw Herb Score as someone to be praised or criticized … he seemed apart from such things. I just listened.

Calvin Trillin has written that anybody who does not think the best hamburger place in the world is in his/her hometown is a sissy. I suppose I have that sort of feeling for hometown radio broadcasters. You are supposed to love them because they're yours. Sure, broadcasters in other towns may be more technically sound, more passionate, funnier, sweeter, goofier, angrier or have a better voice. But they are still broadcasters in other towns. The Yankees are better than the Royals. That does not mean you pine for them.

So it surprises me there is not more hometown pride for Denny. Maybe there is … it is, after all, the critics who shout loudest. The emails run 2-to-1 against him now, but maybe that’s because the people who are proud of Denny are not the type to email. They’re the type to listen. Denny Matthews has been calling Royals games since the beginning. You would think that by now people have grown accustomed to his voice.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, Joe. These blog entries are amazing. Almost all of them are good enough to be columns in their own right. Hope you keep it up, this is quickly becoming one of the highlights of my day.

Anonymous said...

Joe, I for one really enjoy listening to Denny. Thank God for satellite radio, so I can continue to listen to his broadcasts out here in California.

Unknown said...

Joe,

I love Denny Matthews, and am surprised at the response you got. I just think understated is better. It seems like other announcers make it more about them, and less about the game. He keeps the focus where it ought to be.

BTW, love the blog. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

What a great entry.
Personally, I'm disappointed that Tom Cheek didn't win, which jives pretty well with your point. Hope you keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Joe, Cletus here, STL Cards fan and resident. Some of your better fans in KC linked to your blog. I was very entertained by your style.

In 2002, I helped on a full documentary obit about Jack Buck before he died, and we somehow found a clip of Buck interviewed in the 80s, as part of our Mike Shannon segment. Buck says very forthrightly, "When he started he was pretty awful. He's OK now." It was no secret around town that Buck wasn't a big Shannon fan, but he knew who buttered his bread and so bore that burden of one of the stupidest humans on Earth (after Doug Feith) as his colorful character partner.

Pos' description of how each town has that guy they love? That's Mike's crown to lord about since Buck died. (He ranked #1 in a recent stltoday.com poll) He threw his weight as soon as that season ended, and proclaimed his turn at being the lead announcer for the Cards. I'm tellin ya, he was so bad through 2003, he mighta lost a couple for The Home Nine himself. He's cashing in big time, decided he paid dues and has waited decades for just this, including expanding his restaurant into a new HUGE location nearer the stadium, adding a barn-sized bar to the mix, designed to drop the walls at night, and literally gets hosed down after close.

I despise Mike at the mike. I especially f**king hate listening to him solo, and needing to depend on his self-absorbed-yet-talentless Play-by-play for the vitals of the action. I wish to God we had a Denny Mathews instead. We have John Rooney as chief pxp now, and it's very interesting how often Rooney saves Mike's ass, by discretely adding a vital description of the plays that Mike's ignored.

Oh, and Mike always has to say "Git Up, Baby! Git up git up git up!" That's his home run call. What an idiot.

His nickname was given to him during his playing days, which ended a long, long time ago. There's a reason he's called "The Moon Man".

Anonymous said...

I don't know how anyone could not love Denny. He's been a large part of my summer since I was old enough to understand what was being said on the radio. Things won't be the same once he retires.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic blog.

The best current love/hate relationship I can come up with is Mike Shannon in St. Louis.

The guy is a lot like Score. He'll miss pitches, prattle on about promotions, toss Budweiser pitches in whenever he can, go off on bizarre tangents and spout Shannonisms (Yogism squared).

That said, I love the guy. He's no Jack Buck, but that's not what he is. He's your goofy grandpa. Some fans hate him, they kill him for not being Jack.

Shannon isn't a guy that should EVER be in a booth by himself, but he definitely brings some charm and character to the booth. There's still room for a character in today's game isn't there?

Travis Wright said...

Joe,

Denny Matthews is the one link we still have that ties us to the glory days of Royals baseball.

When I was a child, I didnt have a television in my room... I had a radio, and each summer evening that radio was tuned into Royals baseball.

Denny and Fred White are a glorious part of my youth and I cherish those guys. Im glad that Denny is going to be enshrined, but in my Hall of Fame, he has been enshrined for a long, long time.

Great stuff, again Joe!

Thanks!

Travis Wright

Anonymous said...

I don't have much new to add, but I wanted to speak up as a Royals fan who couldn't imagine Royals baseball without Denny Matthews. I couldn't be happier for Denny and the entire franchise.

Anonymous said...

I think my favorite Denny story is the one about the blind woman in western Kansas. She said Denny always made her feel like she could see the game.

Love the blog, Joe.

I do have one quick question. Why did you make KC your home?

Nick said...

Joe, I always enjoyed listening to Denny. I can't understand the reaction you got to your column. I'd take Denny over anybody else working the microphones today.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Posnanski,

Denny Matthews is the thinking man's (and woman's) announcer. I've never met him in person, but it feels like he's been a friend for many years. In my life, the three sources of my baseball knowledge have been from my father, my coaches, and Denny Matthews. Keep up the great work, Mr. Posnanski! I can't wait for the new book!

Anonymous said...

I love Denny! Listening to him on satellite radio is a joy. Keep it up Denny!!!

ASMR Review said...

Wow, I'm really stunned that there are people out there that dislike Denny enough to write you and tell you they dislike him. He is beloved by me and my friends, and all of us were born well after Denny started with the Royals. Denny is understated, but he realizes that he is not the star of the game - the game of baseball is the star. He doesn't draw attention to himself, he doesn't exaggerate, he just tells us what is happening.

And yet, he isn't boring. He can pepper us with stories of Royals from long ago. And he has a dry wit, a deadpan wit, the kind of wit that is dying these days.

He's also a professional. A much lesser man would have pouted when Fred White was dismissed and belittled the new, much younger guy - Ryan Lefebvre. Instead, Denny embraced Ryan, and the two have a rapport that would make you think they've been together for decades.

Denny's a class act. We talk about ballplayers who leave Kansas City for greener pastures, and Denny has certainly had the opportunity to leave KC for bigger markets (Chicago, St. Louis). But in the end, Denny has come to personify Kansas City for me, and generations of Royals fans, and we are the richer for it.

Anonymous said...

If someone doesn't like Denny, they don't like baseball.

And to say he doesn't get excited is sheer ignorance... no doubt from fans who weren't around when we won. The Royals haven't given him a lot to get excited about in a long, long time.

"NO outs to go!"

Anonymous said...

Count me in the "Pro-Matthews" camp. I wrote about him here:

Ron's Blog.

I love Denny, especially when paired with Ryan. It makes me hurt inside when Denny takes days off or when Ryan works the TV side.

Michelle said...

Great blog!! I love listening to Denny - any baseball announcer who can make a long, excruciating painful Royals game easy to listen to deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. I'm from Memphis and grew up a Cardinals fan. After Jack Buck died, it became very difficult to listen to Mike Shannon ramble on about so and so listening in Caruthersville, etc. I never knew what was going on during their games! Denny is great and I hope we have him for many more years!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful bit of writing, as always. Bill James wrote a piece in one of his Abstracts years ago (1985 I think) about Denny and what a great job he does. It was then that I realized something. I'd always known that I loved Denny's style and that there were several other announcers that I couldn't stand (Joe Garagiola, Mike Shannon--at that point in his early days, some other guy who did color for the Cardinals), but I'd always kind of assumed that Denny was pretty ordinary and that the really good ones were in the bigger markets. Bill James made me realize that these other guys were the ordinary ones, and that the reason I loved Denny was that he was really, really good. I feel sorry for these people who can listen to Denny for years and never appreciate him.

Now if only we can get someone just as good to replace Bob Davis...

Anonymous said...

Joe,
Enjoy reading your blog-keep up the good work.
If George Brett is the face of the Kansas City Royals franchise, then Denny Matthews is certainly the voice of the Kansas City Royals franchise.
He doesn't try to make the game about him, he makes it about the game being played the field. He is a master of describing the game as if you were in the stands watching. He is an asset to the organization.
Dave

Anonymous said...

I was initially surprised to read that there are many who don't like Denny as an announcer. But after I thought about it a while, I wasn't surprised at all. After all, there are many people who like Jim Rome and Ken "Hawk" Harrelson, guys who are all about attitude, catch phrases and similar B.S. There are many shallow, unintelligent, immature people who love that kind of "personality" in sports. There are many fewer who appreciate a professional, sharp, intelligent, likeable announcer who is never annoying.

Anonymous said...

Let me join the chorus. I was stunned to hear that you get negative responses to Denny. How can his dry wit not be appreciated? Also, I've met him twice and he was nothing but wonderful to talk with.

Anonymous said...

I tend to agree with everyone here. Denny Matthews is the Royals for me. I grew up in KC and listened to Denny at night, went to bed listening to Denny. I moved to Chicago about two years ago and have listened to the Sox. I understood immediately why I liked Denny. It is because he is understated. It is because I want to know about the game not here you make some crazy trademark Home Run call. I like "A drive to deep center, Gone, Home Run Mike Sweeney" Just fine.

Great work as usual Joe.

Anonymous said...

The thing I look most forward to every spring is hearing Denny's voice on the radio. I have learned so much about baseball just from listening to him call games. Royals baseball will never be the same when he leaves the broadcast booth.

By the way Joe, love the blog.

Unknown said...

Hey Joe,

Love your blog so much that I'm reading entries from months ago, long before I started reading your blog. Guess I'm playing catch-up.

I wanted to do two things here. One, give some additional support to Denny Matthews, although it looks less like he needs it after reading the other compliments. Two, I wanted to compliment you on one thing you said. You said:

Quality is not the point when you grow up with a voice, and that voice is about summer and baseball and no school and barbecues and home runs and strikeouts.

I just wanted to let you know that you hit a home run there. That is what baseball is about, baseball will always be a game of the boys of summer. Denny Matthews is the voice of my summers. I've heard others say it before too, but his voice just sounds like summer to me.

In the same way Joe, your articles have a certain voice to them, distinct from other sportswriters on ESPN or KC Star, or other newspapers (its easy to read anybody now thanks to the internet). Your voice always sounds hopeful, optimistic, and more than anything, grateful and happy. Your articles are a constant reminder to me of everything that is right about sports, what really matters, how lucky we all are, and how eventually we know the Royals will catch their big break. It's like Opening Day is all season long with Posnanski, please don't ever change.

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe,

I love your blog very much, only found out about it recently from baseballthinkfactory.com

I grew up 60 miles from L.A. in the early 1980's listening to Vin Scully (and at various times Ross Porter and one or two others) on "The Dodgers Radio Network" which at that time was 710 KABC. And I quite enjoyed Vin Scully (the others less so).

Interestingly enough I never did quite love Vin Scully, as many others did and do, for the simple reason that my father, who has been listening to Vin Scully since they moved from Brookly, hated and to this day still hates listening to Vin Scully, for one reason or another.

The take home lesson is that some people will find the "voice of your team" to have some verbal or personality tick that grates on them, and it may, over time, change to endearment, but it may not - it may just continue to grate year after year, until the spot is rubbed raw. It may be just one more crutch that one must bear for the sake of fandom. I don't really blame folks for not liking Denny Matthews, just like I can't blame my father for not liking Vin Scully. He still listens to the game. They most probably do, too.

Sincerely,

Jerome Solberg