Saturday, February 17, 2007

Shameless Self Promotion

I started the blog for two reasons.

(1) Because I love writing about baseball.
(2) To raise some awareness for my new book: "The Soul of Baseball: A Road Trip Through Buck O'Neil's America."

OK, I just lied. Well, I didn't exactly lie. I just put those two reasons out of order. See I'm really not too good at the self-promotion thing. A couple of weeks ago - by complete fluke - I ended up having dinner with the President and CEO of Sam's Club. He's a young guy (Doug something or other) and he seemed very nice and remarkably interested in what I did for a living. When dinner was over, I was telling my wife about it.

"Did you happen to mention that you have a book coming out?" she asked.

"Um. No. Do you think that would have been a good idea?"

She just shook her head sadly. I had just asked her: "Do you think it would have been a good idea to mention to the President and CEO of the nation's largest warehouse club that I have a book coming out?"

Of course, she already knew: I'm terrible at this stuff. But I do want to get the word out about "The Soul of Baseball" because I loved writing this book about the year I spent with Buck O'Neil, and I'm proud of it, and because I want to help keep Buck's name alive (I mean this in more ways than one - part of the proceeds of the book will go to help build the Buck O'Neil Education and Research Center in Kansas City). So, if you will indulge me, I have put a couple of links on the right side which you can click to buy the book from Amazon or Barnes & Noble. You can also learn more about the book by going to our site at www.soulofbaseball.com.

Thanks for reading this. I promise the next entry will be about baseball -- and specifically whether Curt Schilling deserves to go to the Hall of Fame.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe, you deserve all the respect in the world. It's great to have the best columnist in the US in Kansas City writing about our sports teams. Now not only do some of us get to read you in the KC Star, but we have the oppurtunity to read you on this blog. I hope your book sells millions of copies, because you deserve it.

Ryan Armbrust said...

Ultimately, your book is a way to share Buck with America. That deserves any and all promotion that it can get. I pre-ordered it through amazon, and I'm sure I'll be recommending it to my friends and readers of my blogs.

ASMR Review said...

So you will continue this blog once the book tour is over? I think a lot of us hope you keep this thing going. We really enjoy your writing.

Anonymous said...

I'll second that.

Nick said...

I'll quad (or whatever) that. Please, if possible, keep this blog going.

Anonymous said...

Aaargh!! I Was enticed into this blog, fell for the sell and before I knew what had hit me, had ordered a copy of the book from Amazon... Let's hope it arrives here in Wales before the end of the season. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.