Stupid is as ...
Editor's note: It was a hectic week, and so we sort of fell behind on Blogs. We'll pick up our defense blogs soon (I head for River Falls and Chiefs camp tomorrow, so there should be time for some blogging). In the meantime, I want to thank everyone who showed up at the Happy Endings Lounge in New York (and everyone who couldn't find the place -- heck, I had trouble with that) for some book talk. And I could not let this unbelievable Matt Morris trade pass by.
One thing that has always surprised me is, every now and again, and you really do come across pure, unadulterated, unfiltered stupidity in sports. This happens most often, I think, in the final, frantic minutes of any NFL game (or half). Nobody in the entire league seems to know how to save the clock. Nobody. Little kids who have been watching football for only a couple of years seem to understand the basics of clock management better than most NFL coaches. And I’m talking across the board here. I’ve watched genius Bill Belichick teams screw up the clock, I’ve watched hard-nosed Pittsburgh Steelers teams screw up the clock. I watched mastermind Mike Shanahan teams screw up the clock. And so on.
I’ll give you a local example: A few years ago, the Chiefs under the intense and watchful eye of then head coach Gunther Cunningham, faced a situation. I should preface this by saying that I have great admiration for Gunther. He has dedicated his life to football. He has studied the game with the same intensity and purpose that Charlie Parker spent studying the saxophone. He’s a very smart man and (I believe) a terrific defensive coordinator. If he was dumb, this story wouldn’t mean anything.
The Chiefs had one timeout left, they were trailing and the other team (I can’t remember which team it was – it doesn’t matter) had the ball and was trying to run out the clock. The other team ran a first-down play that ended with, if I recall correctly, 2:43 remaining. It might have been 2:44. The Chiefs then called a panicked and entirely worthless timeout. It is, in fact, the quintessential worthless timeout. I’m sure you as a football fan understand exactly why, but to spell it out: The NFL has a 40-second clock.
That means that:
1. If the Chiefs call their last timeout there with 2:43 left, the other team will run one play (which will last more then three seconds) and then let the clock drain right down to the two-minute warning.
2. If the Chiefs DON’T call a timeout there with 2:43 left, the other team still has to run one play before the two-minute warning.
.
This is a pretty simple calculation, right? One play equal one play. You get absolutely no benefit from calling a timeout there. None. You would think that a coaching staff that studies hundreds of hours of film, a team that practices every single scenario dozens of times, veteran players who have played thousands of hours of football would understand this instinctively. But they didn’t, someone called timeout, and later when asked about it, Gunther (rather than saying: “Yeah, that was a major screw-up”) tried to defend the timeout and uttered one of the dumbest coaches’ statements on record.
He said that the Chiefs had to call timeout there because otherwise the opposing team would have “used up the whole 45-second clock.”
That’s right. To try and cover up his team’s brain-clog, he actually changed the NFL game clock from 40 seconds to 45. He turned a dumb mistake made in the heat of the moment into a gargantuan blunder which left fans, media and management wondering if the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs actually knew basic NFL rules. He was fired as coach just a couple of weeks later, and while the firing may not have been directly tied to 45-second-meltdown, it was at least an indirect free kick.
Two years later, Dick Vermeil as head coach of the Chiefs made exactly the same clock mistake (Coaches really do this all the time; I’m telling you it’s shocking). Vermeil, though, had enough sense to say: “Yeah, we blew it there.” And the mistake – if not exactly forgiven – was at least forgotten.
I thought about all that this week when reading various quotes from Dead-GM-Walking Dave Littlefield as he tried to explain why his Pittsburgh Pirates, a horrendous baseball team, possibly the worst team in baseball, would trade for (and pick up the entire monstrous contract of) pitcher Matt Morris, who is almost 33, who has been an average-to-below-average pitcher for four years, and who is in a major slump (the last six weeks, he has gone 0-4 with a 7.94 ERA).
Now, to be fair, I’m not really sure there’s much Dave Littlefield can say. I would deduce that this was the panicked move of a general manager who knows that he’s about to be fired . He is willing to try anything that might shake up his team and get them to win a few games before it’s too late for him. And that wouldn’t really sound too good at a press conference (“Well, I’d like to say to the members of the press that I’m really in full fledged panic mode. I’m trying to save my job. Really. I don’t want to get fired. I really don’t. How would you like to get fired from your job? You wouldn’t, right? I mean, if you knew you were about to be fired, wouldn’t you at least try to give 15 to 20 million to Matt Morris too? Am I right or am I right? Who’s with me here?”)
Instead, he talked about how he sees Matt Morris as sort of a finishing piece for the Pirates rotation, the veteran who will inspire the kids, the seven of clubs that will complete the inside straight. Now, of course, this is ridiculous. But it’s not impossible. Let’s say this is true. Let’s say that Matt Morris really does spark a chemical reaction that gets Ian Snell and other kids to get going (bad early signs, I’m afraid, considering that Friday Snell gave up 10 hits and six runs in five innings – he’s now 0-5 with an 8.31 ERA in his last five starts).
Even if this convoluted plan did have some basis in reality, it still doesn’t explain anything. If he wanted Matt Morris, he could have gotten him for half the price. One third the price. There is absolutely no reason that the Pirates needed to trade two players (I don’t care if they are prospects or not) and pick up the entire salary (which includes $9.5 million next year and an impressive $2 million buyout) to get a struggling veteran pitcher that San Francisco Giants GM Brian Sabean was DYING to get rid of. I mean, this wasn’t a trade. This was an Oprah-like donation to the Save Brian Sabean’s Job Fund (Sabean is the curator of the National Museum for Obscene Contracts). Even Sabean afterward seemed entirely shocked and grateful; he looked like one of the numb people who open the door and find they have won the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes.
(Somebody in New York asked me, “How in the hell are the Yankees going to get out from under that death-defyingly bad Johnny Damon contract?” I said, “Well, first of all, they need Dave Littlefield to keep his job in Pittsburgh.” You could call it the “Littlefield Escape Clause”).
I like the Pittsburgh Pirates. I feel a strange kinship to Pittsburgh because I grew up in Cleveland and was raised to hate the town (and, especially, the Steelers). I guess I see Pittsburgh and Cleveland as two brothers who despise each other because they are so much alike … so they tear at each others throat. But they are still, in the end, brothers. In addition to that, I think the Pirates and the Royals have a connection as two teams that were 1970s icons, still seemed to be part of the game going into the Clinton years and then quickly faded into oblivion. The Pirates have not had a winning record since 1992. The Royals have had one winning record since 1993, but have lost 100 four times (the Pirates have lost 100 just once). It’s pretty bad on both sides.
So I would like to see the Pirates bounce back. I do think they have some pretty decent young pitching. I think they are in absolutely the right division to turn things around. And Pittsburgh is a terrific sports town. Right now, though, the key might be to get some new blood in there before Dave Littlefield strikes again. I mean no offense to Littlefield, who I’m sure if a fine man. But you would think that trading Chris Young for Matt Herges (and then releasing Herges months later), having five players taken in the Rule V draft one year, drafting Bryan Bullington with the first pick in the draft and then this year passing on Matt Wieters in the draft to save money and less than two months taking on the entirety of Matt Morris’ contract would be enough for any man.
14 comments:
The Vikings usually visit the Chiefs over in Wisconsin during camp. I hope you get a chance to talk with Brad Childress. He is, in my opinion, one of the most humorless coaches in an already humorless league. When I watch the local TV sports coverage of Childress, I find myself often asking "What did he just say?"
Maybe you could ask him about his philosophy of clock management.
Joe, your description of the relationship between Cleveland and Pittsburgh is, of course, perfect. It's odd, because I was just thinking about that bond this morning -- about how Pittsburgh is supposed to be our most bitter rival, and yet Clevelanders seemed to respond with a strange warmness to the Steelers winning the Super Bowl in '06. Maybe it's just that the shock of a Ravens championship put things into perspective, or maybe it's just that the Browns have been so bad lately, it's hard to feel like we're rivals with anyone. But your image of crazed fraternal competitiveness probably explains it best of all.
Don't forget one fact that makes the Rule 5 Debacle even worse. The Pirates 40 man roster stood at 37 at the time of the draft. 3 open spots. The Pirates lost: Chris Shelton, Frank Brooks, Rich Tompson, Ronnie Paulino (who KC didn't keep) and Jose Bautista (whom they traded for to get back).
One of the 3 empty spots was filled with Raul Mondesi who quit on the team a month later and one AAA craptastic veteren reliever (forget who) that the Pirates cut a few days later.
One other thing, Littlefield cut Duanar Sanchez and Matt Guerrier to get down to 37 in the first place.
Talk about a complete inability to evaluate your own talent. DL makes Matt Milen look like Branch Rickey.
I think the thing about football coaches is that they simply don't watch football GAMES. They watch single plays over and over again. But on the weekend when I watch 10 games, each with their own end of half situations the random NFL coach is obssessed only with his team, walkthroughs, film, etc. and in all seriousness the sophisticated fan sees 10 times as many clock management situations as the average NFL coach.
Joe, love your work. Let me take a shot at this Pirates trade for Matt Morris because I am the only one in the world, aside from DL who is going to defend it. And let's just address the trade because I generally agree with you on your other points and there is no denying the facts of 14 consecutive losing seasons.
But, let's just look at the trade, because everyone--and I do mean EVERYONE-- has ripped it as if they were sitting in on the negotiation and know exactly what was said. Let's say you are right. The Pirates overpaid. Could have saved a few million bucks. (By the way they aren't on the hook for his $2 million end of contract bonus. The Giants are paying that.) The are paying about $3.5 million this year and $9.5 million next year. There is a club option for the following year which we'll assume isn't exercised.
So, when viewing the trade we have to look at the current alternatives. The Pirates have three reasonably good young,cheap starters in Gorzo, Snell and Maholm. So, they need two starters for next year.
Let's see what's in the system. Zach Duke: currently injured and in his last fifty starts has been terrible. Led the league in batting average against last year and again this year until he was hurt. His peripherals are awful and he was striking out less than 4/9 innings. But, he's the love child of the system so he'll get a chance to win a spot again next spring.
John Van Benschoten: 7 major league starts this year. Team 0-7. JVB's e.r.a. was over 10 in his last three starts. Sent down.
Sean Burnett: Recovering from TJ surgery. Poor peripherals in Indy and continued arm trouble.
Bryan Bullington: Recovering from arm trouble and poor peripherals in Indy. Will probably be called up in September for a look.
Brad Lincoln: Out for the season with TJ surgery. Will begin his minor league career next season.
Shane Youman: 9 career starts, 55 innings, 23 walks, 20 strikeouts. 27 years old.
Joe, the system is barren. And belive it or not it might be worse for position players. So, there aren't really any tradeable chips to get other starters.
What do the Pirates have? Money. They have said all year they were under their projected budget. So, the $3 million or so that they are paying Morris this year is really of no consequence. It still keeps them under their budgeted amount which is one of lowest in the majors. Well below Cincinnati and Milwaukee as comparisons.
Free agents: Last year the Pirats offered Jeff Suppan approx. $20 million for two years. He signed for four years and $42 million. Ted Lilly signed for 4 years/$40 million. Gil Meche signed for 5 years/$55 million. Barry Zito signed for 7 years/$126 million. Jeff Weaver signed for 1 year at $8.325 million. You calling the Morris contract "monstrous" is hyperbole at its finest.
So, we've established that basically any starting pitcher, literally it is seems anyone, is going to get at least $8 million. Assuming you are alive and arm is fully attached to your body. That was last year. Prices haven't gone down since the collusion era so let's assume they aren't going down this winter either.
No decent pitcher in the free agent market is signing a one year deal. Again, if you are medicore you can probably get four years. Most of those guys don't want to be in Pittsburgh, no matter how beautiful the ballpark, because of the history of losing. So, we either way overpay, or we get nothing.
Matt Morris: I'm not arguing that Matt Morris is anything more than an average major league starter at very best. And, you are absolutely right, he has been awful the last six weeks. Maybe the best thing that can be said for him is that he pitches 200 innings every year. And as awful as he's been the last six weeks, he was excellent the first two monts.
So, in my mind the Pirates "signed" Morris to a one year $9.5 million deal. Is this going to get them to the playoffs? Hell no. But it isn't going to disrupt their salary structure since the whole team is under contract for next year. And, they have four starters in place for around $11 million.
Do I think it's a great deal? No. Do I think we might have gotten him a little cheaper from the Giants? Probably--at least when listening to Sabean, yes.
But, do I see a clearly better alternative. Not through trade and certainly not through free agency in the off season.
The question I ask all those killing the deal is where are the Pirates finding the other two starters for next year. Two guys who aren't a complete embarrassment every time out?
The franchise is an easy mark. It's easy to kill past moves--I do it too. But, on this one, I actually think DL got it right. Financial flexibility still in tact, no Zito or Suppan or Meche money to be paid out for the next 5-7 years.
So, the twenty year rebuilding project can continue.
The Pirates lost: Chris Shelton, Frank Brooks, Rich Tompson, Ronnie Paulino (who KC didn't keep) and Jose Bautista (whom they traded for to get back).
Nitpicking: Ronny Paulino was not taken in the Rule 5 Draft that season. Jeff Bennett (taken by Milwaukee) was the 5th player taken. Paulino was taken the year before.
Anonymous.....the Royals did not draft Ronnie Paulino in the Rule V draft. The Brewers took Jeff Bennett and the Orioles took Jose Bautista--who they later traded to Tampa who traded him to Kansas City, from whom the Pirates got him back in another trade.
The Royals also got Rich Thompson from the Padres, who drafted him from the Pirates, in a trade the day of the draft. Thompson had one career major league at bat.
Not to justify the decision, but of the five Bautista is the only one who is in the majors this year and three of the players are out of baseball. They didn't exactly lose Roberto Clemente (who was a Rule V pick.)
re: Johnny Damon's contract.
Teams never get the kudos for not giving a veteran player a ridiculous contract when his best days are behind them. i.e. the Red Sox got a lot of heat from their own players and the fans for not overpaying for Damon and Pedro Martinez after they won the World Series. "Why didn't they keep the team together?" It'd be one thing if Damon and Martinez only wanted one or two year deals. They didn't so the Red Sox let the two New York teams overpay for veterans that were beginning their downward slide in productivity due to age and injuries.
Where's that column in the Boston Globe? (Maybe it's been written, I don't read the Globe regularly.) Someone should point it out. ESPN makes SUCH A BIG DEAL about trades and free agent contracts (barely after the 24 hour news cycle of a World Series or Super Bowl champion, does the talk of free agency become a hot topic), they never do the big story about how the front office made a smart decision three years before hand by not overpaying.
It's just a pet peeve of mine.
A team like Pittsbirgh should really be going about this in an entirely different manner, making more swaps like the Giles deal that landed them Jason Bay. Littlefield must be fired. Period. In resonse to "The Hammer:" I can see your logic. But, you're creating an unecessary dichotomy. The team must either: 1) sign a free-agent pitcher or b) trade for a pitcher. There is a c) here, and it is much better for the Pirates. That is that they could have c) used the Morris money on developement/scouting and stolen young arms ( Joaqim Soria or Jeremy Guthrie anyone?) from the waiver wire, rule 5, international and independent leagues. They turned a classic salary dump trade into an utter rip-off. The Giants would've paid most of the money just to be rid of Morris. Everyone knows that one year @ 9.5 million is insane, and would've been totally avoidable. The Pirates are not close. They need young players. They need to restock their farm system. And they need to stop drafting high risk pitchers, or blend in some lower ceiling lower risk pitchers with their upside picks. This is a team that devalues players by overexposing them, and doesn't capitalize on tradeable commodities. Who cares if they wheel out awful AAAA pitchers in the 4 & 5 slots? It's the difference between 90 losses and 105. If you're the Devil Rays, and you are teeming with young talent, you want to avoid having your brains bashed in every night, since that young talent can be ruined (nobody in Tampa Bay wants James Shields stretching it out to get the ball to Reyes and ending up on the DL). So you bring some folks in at more than face value. But if you're the Pirates, you don't. You trade your aging veterans for young, affordable talent. And you do it again. And again. And again. But first, you fire Littlefield.
I, Hambone, I don't disagree with the gist of your comment. Although I don't understand the comment that "this is a team that devalues players by overexposing them." What does that mean?
Also, sure they should do more trades like Bay and Perez for Giles. Everyone would like to do those, they aren't so easy to do.
And drafting pitchers is by definition high risk. Lincoln was the first, second or third-rated in the draft last year with no history of arm trouble. They've been unlucky also. And they need a lot of luck.
But, I do agree with your points for the most part. But, to say they just send two unqualified guys out to better starters next year is even more of a disservice than the 14 years that we've already had.
Great post Joe,
The, Ahem, 'Happy Ending' Lounge?
I think what he means by devaluing players by overexposing them is that they bring up guys before they are ready, play them at positions that strain their capabilites, leave the guys at those positions even when they are struggling and wait way too long to pull the trigger on deals. That way, when they do decide to deal someone, instead of being a shiny, tempting young prospect, he's a guy that's spent two or three years in the big leagues, playing out of position and struggling.
I'm also a Clevelander and I love Pittsburgh. I think it's a beautiful town. I also share your feelings, Joe, about the Royals and Pirates. Seeing franchises that were once nearly models (esp. the Royals)fallen on such hard times is sad.
On the other hand, if that's the price for the hapless Indians of my youth becoming one of the models of today, well, seeya Royals. We'll always have '85.
Yes that is what I thought he meant, but that hasn't really been the case. The problem is not that they have rushed players to the major leagues or "strained" their capabilities by playing them out of position. The organizational flaw is that they haven't identified and developed good players, not they they overexposed them.
Post a Comment