Sunday, August 05, 2007

Sicko Tangents ...

Editor's note: Another mostly non-sports blog. Sorry, what can I say? I spent the whole day driving up to River Falls for Chiefs camp. We'll try to pick up the defense blogs tomorrow.

I spent a big chunk of Sunday driving from Kansas City to River Falls, which means I spent a lot of time thinking about stuff like decency. Well, I actually spent a lot of time listening to the wildly underrated Ben Folds’ “Rocking the Suburbs” CD. That’s a good album.

I especially like, “Fred Jones Pt. 2,” which I take to be about an editorial cartoonist at a newspaper who has been shoved out after 25 years. I don’t know if this is what it’s about (I suspect not), but the lyrics do point this way. We know, for instance, that for “Twenty-five years/ he’s worked at the paper,” and we know from the end – when John Mcrae from Cake joins in – that Fred Jones is an artist of some kind. “Fred gets his paints out and goes to the basement.” He’s an artist of some kind. I’ll make the leap.

This fits my feelings at the moment because I have a good friend, an editorial cartoonist, who just a week or so ago was let go. Yes, we have a tangent coming. It’s both sad and a travesty what’s happening to editorial cartoonists in America. These artists were once the lifeblood of newspapers. The good ones could change the world. The cartoons of Thomas Nast helped bring down Tammany Hall in New York. That’s the most famous example, but there are many others. I can remember having my own opinions shaken and stirred by certain cartoons (I remember, for instance, being young and seeing a two-panel cartoon. The first panel showed a gunman sticking up a family, and it read, “Guns don’t kill people.” The next panel said “People kill people.” And it was the same gunman and the same family except now the man was holding up the family with just his finger. I’ve never again heard that statement without thinking about that cartoon).

Cartoonists are disappearing. It’s no secret that newspapers are struggling, and cartoonists are our canaries in the coal mine. Already many of the biggest and most respected newspapers in America have done away with local cartoonists – they are considered “luxuries.” Now, I’m no businessman. I obviously could not make the hard decisions necessary to run a newspaper in today’s world. But it breaks my heart to see an essential and unique newspaper tradition die. My friend is a tremendous cartoonist, good enough that though I often disagree with his opinions, I am moved by his ideas and the way he draws. Now, his newspaper will run the same syndicated cartoons every other paper runs. It’s the same story across America. It’s just another step, I’m afraid, toward newspapers becoming homogenized and, then, irrelevant.

OK, welcome back from that tangent. The original point is I was thinking in the car about lots of stuff, but mostly I was thinking about decency. You know there isn’t a week that goes by that I don’t get an email from someone who thinks I’m too nice in print. Of course, to be fair and balanced, there isn’t a week that goes by that I don’t get an email from someone who thinks I’m a complete jerk. So it’s isn’t unanimous that I’m too nice. But I’d say the “too nice” emails outnumber the “jerks.”

The “too nice” emails are not compliments – many of them are significantly nastier than the “jerk” emails. The writers as a whole don’t believe that I am really too nice. They are using “too nice” to mean that I’m “too soft,” a “wuss” or “sissy-boy” or, well, you can probably come up with more appropriate words. I understand the point. There’s this feeling that if I would be harder on the local teams, I might affect change – I could get bad managers fired, lousy general managers to quit, crummy owners to sell the club – and by being nice, I am in fact, allowing this legion of losers to get away with things. They believe that, in the sports realm, I am soft on crime.

I don’t agree with any of that – I think people are always looking for easy labels and “too nice” is mine – and anyway, I can’t change. I think there is only one unbreakable column rule and that is: You have to be who you are, no faking allowed. My column is – to the best of my ability – me. But I’m off on another tangent here.

The point is that I think there is a segment of society that believes that “too nice” means “pathetic.” Decency equals weakness. Sportsmanship is for losers. I realize that these three statements are quite different, but I think there are many strong believers in each.

Another tangent (I sure wish I could do those David Foster Wallace footnotes -- that would make this a lot easier): “Sportsmanship for losers” comes from an email I got a few years ago after the 2004 playoff game when Mark Bellhorn hit the ball off a fan’s chest in left field. It was (by replays, anyway) clearly a home run. But the ball bounced back into play. At first the umpire ruled it a double. They eventually conferred and changed it to a homer. A guy sent me an email about Hideki Matsui, who was in the outfield and clearly had seen that the ball was gone (his initial reaction showed that he knew the ball was gone). The emailer thought Matsui should have told the umpire he blew the call and that it was a home run. I thought this was interesting as in quirky as in crazy. And my first reaction (I’ll bet a few of you had the same reaction) was, “Are you insane? Could you imagine how they would react in New York if they knew Matsui had admitted that was a home run? They might have rushed the field.” My initial reaction was confirmed by several New York friends who said they would have been first in line. And there you go – sportsmanship is for losers.

ANYWAY, I was thinking about all this (it’s a pretty long drive). And it got me to the whole point of this blog which is: Michael Moore. You never saw that coming did you? I just saw the movie “Sicko,” and I have plenty of thoughts about it that I will not share because this is not a political blog. It is a promotional blog for my book! Really! Anyway at the end of the movie there’s a scene that cut through me. Moore had finished pronouncing (in his own inimitable way) that pretty much every country in the world, including Cuba, has a more humane health care system than we do. The sledgehammers were out.

And then Moore showed, what he called, “the biggest anti-Michael Moore Web site.” Apparently there are quite a few out there. This one, I take it, is the Louvre of anti-Michael Moore. Well it seems – and I may get some facts wrong on this, but I am shooting for the larger point – that one of the bloggers on this site was going to have to close down the thing because his wife was sick, and they owed $12,000 in medical costs.

Michael Moore in narration said that nobody – not even this guy he despises – should have to give up first amendment rights because America doesn’t have Universal Health Care. He anonymously sent the guy a check for $12,000 (he showed the check in the movie) and the site is still going strong today, tearing up Michael Moore.

Now, some things are obvious up front:

1. Michael Moore is obviously grandstanding here. Not only does he get way more than $12,000 in publicity for his check, but he gets to cast himself as the good guy against the anti-Michael Moore villain. That’s worth way more than 12 grand.

2. It made for a pretty arresting end to his movie, and I can tell you that if I had Michael Moore’s money, and someone said, “I’ll give you a good ending for your column for 12 grand,” there would have been plenty of times that I would have jumped.

3. He managed, for 12 grand, to make this anti-Michael Moore guy look small, probably the most priceless part of the whole thing.

So, all that’s a given. But … but, but, but, but. He did give this guy 12 grand. He did, best I can tell, change the dynamics of life for this family. He did an altogether decent and kind thing, even if his reasons were less so. I remember an interviewer once saying to Jerry Lewis something like, “Well there are those who say you only do these Muscular Dystrophy telethons for your own ego and to keep yourself in the spotlight. There are those who say you don’t care entirely about the kids; you care more about your own career.” To which Jerry Lewis gave one of the all-time brilliant answers. He said (I'm paraphrasing):

What do you care why I’m doing it? Am I raising millions to help sick children? What difference does it make what my motivation is?

I went to the anti-Michael Moore Web site to see how the guy was handling this obviously uncomfortable thing. I had to go back several weeks to find anything at all about it – mostly the site (as I read it) is filled with rather shrill counterpoints that paint Michael Moore as something between Ken Lay and the Devil, though not quite as honest as either one. Now, I really have no problem with this at all … the guy obviously feels it is his life’s calling to expose Michael Moore, and I think everyone should have a hobby. Eventually I found a blog referring to the check, and the blog (not surprisingly) talked about how Michael Moore had tried to manipulate everything with his money, it explained that this guy had received other donations from truly good-hearted people, and that anyone who thinks what Moore did was good or kind is a brainless sheep.

Well, that’s one way to handle it. I was thinking about this. I wonder how I would react in this guy’s situation. I’m not sure I feel that sort of animosity toward anybody, but if I think about it … OK, let’s say Ann Coulter. Let’s say I was doing the No. 1 anti-Ann Coulter Web site on the Internet, and then my wife got sick, and she (I mean Coulter here) anonymously donated the money necessary, and then she (Coulter again) wrote all about it in her newest book, “Why Liberals Should Burn at the Stake (Drowning is Too Humane)” or whatever she (Coulter) might call it. How would I react? Would I stop doing the blog? Should I stop doing the blog? Should I write with a little less venom? Should I do exactly what I was doing before?

Here’s what I think I would do: I might write the same general blog, with maybe a touch more sensitivity. I mean, how could you help but see the person who altered your life with a different eye? But I would have a letter on the front page that read like this:

Dear Michael (we’ll move on from the Ann Coulter thing – I don’t really hate her either):

Thank you. It’s obvious that I do not like your politics or your methods. I feel it is important that I unveil what I consider to be your lies and contradictions. But I want to say here that, whatever your motivations, what you did helped my family. Thank you.


Is that weakness? Maybe it is. I don’t know.

18 comments:

Brandon Jones said...

From Ben Folds to Ann Coulter, I still love to read your "soft on crime" style Joe. Rocking the suburbs is one great album!

Anonymous said...

A couple of things:

1. I loved the book and have bought copies for a couple of friends. Thanks for a wonderful story of a wonderful man.

2. I see nothing wrong with being "nice." I think you were wrong about some of the things you credited to Buddy Bell in your column on his resignation, but being wrong isn't a character fault. Despite what many folks seem to believe, nice people do succeed in all the most important ways.

3. I grew up in River Falls three decades ago. It was always a highlight of our year when football camps would open in the summer. All the boys would race off on our bananna bikes to watch the practices and be allowed to run errands ('go get me that water bottle' or 'bring me that ball') for the players and coaches. Football training camps seem to still have more of that small town feel than what has become big-business baseball spring training.

Anonymous said...

Nast didn't bring down Tammany Hall. In fact, it was still going strong up until the era of Carmine DeSapio in the early 1970s. All Nast really did in the late 1800s is expose Tammany Hall and its ways to a much larger audience.

Anonymous said...

I never thought of Fred Jones as a cartoonist, but that's a very good observation. I always suspected he was a Willie Loman-type advertising salesman: someone easily replaced by a young punk out of college. It's one of my favorite songs of all time, although it's depressing as heck.

Good blog as usual.

Paul White said...

Speaking of nice, I just got back from Disney World, where every employee is literally required to be nice to the guests. This included the people who took your pictures to the people who took your park-hopper pass to the folks at concession stands and the actors walking around dressed liked Woody & Buzz. We had to stop at a security shack every time we drove into the resort where we stayed, and after verifying that we were actually guests there, every single one of the guards would say something incredibly nice. "You have a marvelous day, sir", or "Welcome back, dear" (that was my favorite).

All of this was incredibly refreshing. I can't tell you how much easier it made the process of handing these people unsightly sums of my hard-earned money.

Anonymous said...

It's not weakness, but I don't think I agree with the sentiment. When it comes to gratitude, of course motivations matter. I wouldn't be grateful to someone who helped me if his motivations were grudging and entirely self-serving. I'd be glad that the situation lended itself to helping me, but I could only express true gratitude towards someone whose motivation matched his action.

Jim H. said...

Joe:

You don't have a driver?

Altruism and self-interest sometimes intersect, as when George Costanza advocated for the "C" student to get the scholarship from Susan's foundation. The underachieving kid could certainly have used the money even though George's motivations were (as usual) entirely warped.

If I ever taught a freshman-level ethics course, my students would get awfully tired of watching old Seinfeld episodes.

And speaking of David Foster Wallace, I just finished "Consider the Lobster." His piece about the McCain 2000 campaign is brilliant. His peice using little boxes and arrows instead of footnotes -- so clever I couldn't finish it.

Jon Liepmann said...

It's too hard for me to separate the politics from this situation. I tried to think of the opposite situation and what it would be like. Tobacco lobbies donating money to the American Cancer Society? I think the fact that Michael Moore is who he is makes those leaning toward his side so sympathetic to him. It's his character on the American political scene. He doesn't dress up, he has to talk to these big power guys by stalking them on the streets or trick them into letting them talk to him. He seems powerless against this huge political machine. Yet, he is one of the most power liberal media members out there. So, it's almost like you have to view it as a little guy helping another little guy even though his views are different. When you think of tobacco helping the cancer society, you still have that big business mindset, so you immediately think alterior motive and don't care that they are doing good. That is less so with Moore because of his characterization in American society.

By the way, you should listen to "B*tches ain't Sh*t" by Ben which is a cover of a Dr.Dre song. It has crazy language and a crazy topic, but when Ben slows it down and puts a nice melody to it, it makes it hilarious.

Joe, I really wanted to come to the New York appearance, but I had the semi-finals for my softball league. Any chance you are coming back to NY or NJ at some point?

A J said...

Well done as always Joe.

I have to say, I wouldn't have sent anything nice back to Michael Moore, because there is a differnce between life and business online.

My calling in life is to blast Nebraska fans whenever I can. Living in Omaha, it's obvious that I've met many decent Husker fans...heck, I even married one. But to actually go public and admit that one was nice to me (or married me or whatever) is going against what the blog is all about.

If that was me, I wouldn't have said a peep about it in the blog, other than what the guy (appears to have) already said. If I was going to say "thanks", I would have done it as far away from my public persona as I could.

But that's just me.

PS - Love the book, although Rockin the Suburbs isn't even one of Ben Folds' top 3 albums. Not even close.

Unknown said...

the goodness of moore's actions is a matter of perspective because his motive is in question. yes, he improved someone's life. he could have done so anonymously, or he could have simply omitted the segment from his movie; perhaps then he could have changed the bloggers mind. instead, he chose to benefit by humiliating a political opponent.

lets say you are a liberal who believes that moore's chief post-roger and me contribution is to increase the bitter vitriol and petty, dogmatic intolerance of the american political landscape. someone like that may find the overall impact of moore's actions to be divisive, persuading open-minded americans to abhor the snobby and self-impressed intellectuals of the left, hardening flexible minds to ridigidy and stubborness.

my point is that the full impact of our actions is unpredictable, unknowable, and subject to interpretation. pure intentions, however, are not. as agents, we'd be well served to remember that while the world may never be perfect, as long as our heart is in the right place, we are agents of good. i don't believe moore's heart was in the right place in this case, and believe he degrades his character by using his fortune and influence to discredit a detractor, whatever soul-saving consolation he remits.

jededalus said...

Fred Jones is even sadder when you remember part 1, Cigarette from Whatever and Ever Amen. Not only does he never get any sleep because his drugged-up wife might burn their house down, but now he's lost his job as well...

Anonymous said...

Joe,

Your rhetoric is a welcome alternative to the depressingly bitter tone present in too many sports columnists. I do not understand what enjoyment Jay Mariotti, Skip Bayless, or (to reach back to the past) Dick Young get from their daily invective, nor do I understand how any readers derive enjoyment from them.

Nice does not mean uncritical. I wish more sports journalists were your kind of nice. If I had an eight-year old kid who I wanted to turn onto sports, I would recommend your columns.

Anonymous said...

Moore sent the money to make the man look small, and he succeeded according to you. Why should the man be grateful for being made a tool?

G-Man said...

It's too bad you had to turn this into a political blog by deifying Michael Moore. You need to check out Kevin Leffler's www.shootingmichaelmoore.com. Leffler was a high school class mate of Moore's.

Colin said...

It's too bad people can't just let a post go without whining obnoxiously that this has become a "political blog".

rdcobb said...

Joe, I've been reading for a few weeks now (and bought the book!) and I wanted to say your blog is consistently insightful and thoughtful. And its value certainly extends well beyond baseball. You are on my "must read" short list. Just so you know.

And I second the guy that said Folds' cover of Dr. Dre is an A+ effort. I don't support the lyrics, but Ben's melancholy delivery of the tedious misogyny of Dre is laugh-out-loud funny. And catchy as heck.

Brian G. said...

Joe, I agree with your overall sentiment: given the choice between something getting done with warped motives or not getting done at all, I would choose GETTING SOMETHING DONE. I served in the Peace Corps, and some volunteers were unhappy with some organizations that would come down and give hand-outs like clothing and food. They were unhappy because this was not viewed as sustainable (probably true). But I would rather see everyone contributing something in their own way than not doing anything at all.

Anonymous said...

Joe, your comments on decency and sportsmanship and kindness all struck me. I'm around your age, when I was a kid, I was a good baseball player in a small town that took baseball seriously. I was the sort of kid who always made the all star team, but rarely got to actually play in the all star games (now that I think about it, sort of like the Royals representative).

Well, when I was 10, I made the all star team again, and the coach was the only really good coach in the league. He apparently took a shine to my particular brand of tiny person hustle and defense, so I got to start at 2b and bat 8th or 9th. This coach was a good human being by all accounts...the sort of coach who didn't put up with bullying and offered many words of encouragement, I still admire him. But one game, I was at bat (nervous as all hell) with runners on in a tight game, and a pitch came right at me...I fell/jumped/ducked/evaded. The umpire said "take your base" but I turned to him and said "the ball didn't hit me." The umpire ruled it was a ball and I had to step back into the box (I ended up walking).

Later, after the game, the coach sat me down and lectured me about how wrong I was to tell the umpire the ball didn't hit me. I spoke to my parents about this, and my mother praised my honesty. My dad looked a bit dubious, but stood by my mother.

I'm a 35 year old lawyer now, and I still think about this incident often. I'm proud of what I did, and I'm proud that my parents supported me. There isn't any championship worth winning if you have to avoid your own reflection in the morning.