Zack, Gordon and Bad Rock and Roll
Some thoughts on this Tuesday night, watching the Royals and Blue Jays play ball
Report No. 2:
-- I've mentioned this before in the column, but I can never hear about the Sonic Slam Inning without shaking my head. Those of you in Kansas City know ... if a Royals hitter hits a home run then a pre-chosen listener gets some ever-changing sum of money. But if a player hits a grand slam "out of the park" then the listener gets $25,000.
The key words there, as you can tell by the quotation marks, are "out of the park." Apparently if someone hits an inside the park grand slam homer, they will NOT pay off the 25 grand. Do you know how many inside the park grand slam home runs the Royals have hit in their history? Go ahead ... take a guess. Yeah. Zero.
-- OK, here's Alex Gordon again. And he swings -- he yanked it! He hit it good! Will it stay fair? YES! There's the home run. And a career has begun.
They just showed Gordon in the dugout, and he had a smile about as big as Nebraska. You know that's a relieved young guy.
-- Tony Pena Jr. just hit his fourth triple in eight games as a Royal ... his dad hit four triples in his last 675 games.
Report No. 1:
-- Alex Gordon just grounded back to the pitcher -- he's now 0-for-2 today, and 1-for-23 in his short Major League career. I guess the question is: When does this become, like, a serious problem.?
Everybody points to Willie Mays beginning his career 1 for 26 -- and Leo Durocher telling him "As long as I'm the manager, you are my centerfielder." Is this something Buddy Bell could say? And, no offense to Buddy, but would this even comfort Gordon?
Here are a few unrelated Major League starts:
-- George Brett: 2 for 25.
-- Mike Schmidt: 4 for 23 with homer.
-- Albert Pujols: 8 for 23 with homer.
-- Barry Bonds: 9 for 26 with homer.
-- Paul Molitor: 9 for 23 with homer.
-- Derek Jeter: 6 for 26.
-- Duane Kuiper: 11 for 22 (!)
-- Alex Rodriguez: 6 for 25.
-- Mark Quinn: 10 for 25 with five homers (FIVE!)
-- Buddy Bell: 5 for 24 with a homer.
-- Rod Carew: 6 for 26 with a homer.
-- Mario Mendoza: 7 for 24
-- OK, it's the fourth inning, and Zack Greinke looks fabulous. He just struck out Frank Thomas looking, which used to be harder to do than fitting the rich man through the eye of a needle or whatever that biblical reference is. On this one, Greinke threw a pitch that looked like it more or less split the middle of the plate -- maybe the inner half of the plate -- and Thomas did his "Oh man, that pitch almost hit me" dance, which got him about 8,000 walks in the 1990s.
The umpire rung him up enthusiastically. Good for him.
Anyway, Greinke has thrown four innings, allowed three singles, struck out four, walked nobody, and I just love the way he's throwing. I've been over this before: There's this entirely new purpose to this guy's pitching. He throws every pitch HARD -- and I'm not talking about miles per hour. I mean, he's putting his full effort in every pitch, even his change-up. He's not giving in after a few foul balls, and he's not bailing out with some trick pitch.
He has thrown 70 pitches through four innings, which seems like a lot for a three-hit shutout (especially because 45 of them have been strikes). But that just continues the point: He's battling. I don't think you can overstate how much it would mean to the Royals short term and long term if Greinke puts it all together.
-- The comments have been great on the bad rock and roll bands of the 1980s. And the person who mentioned that Foreigner should have been part of the group is absolutely right. Throw Foreigner in there -- it's urgent, urgent, emergency.
12 comments:
good spot for his first homer!!
That was awesome. Gave me the chills, actually.
Great call by Ryan too..."that sound you hear, is Alex Gordon exhaling."
Man, I love this team.
They better hang on to this. In reality, isn't about all of the 80's music pretty bad?
Great pitching from Zach tonight, too bad I only got to listen to 2/3s of the game before the 810 signal went out at dusk...I hate that the Royals don't have a presence in mid-missouri. In all honesty this was a game the Royals had to have given the pitching match-up. Glad they took care of business.
How many lead-off doubles has Grienke allowed? Seems like a bunch. Kudos to him for not allowing most of them to score.
I'm pretty sure Dire Straits were awesome. I'm positive that "Vamos a la Playa" by Righeira is the best song ever, and that was absolutely an 80's song (dude from Kraftwerk produced it). The 80's most definitely did not suck.
Also, where's the love for Toto, Night Ranger, or Survivor?
Greinke was outstanding.
Loving Soria closing. I just wish they'd move him to the rotation, where he'd surely throw countless perfect games. Mexican Winter League is the same level of competition as Major League Ball, right?
You left off Ryne Sandberg, who started 2-for-36.
Jim Caple is one of my must-read columnists, along with Joe. I am compelled, then, to cut and paste this bullet:
• If you're like me, you already have a stack of books taller than Randy Johnson waiting on your bed stand, but do yourself a favor and buy Joe Posnanski's "The Soul of Baseball: A Road Trip Through Buck O'Neil's America." Don't worry, it won't add to your pile -- you'll read this delightful book in a couple of days and immediately forward it to a friend. It's that good. Posnanski, the Kansas City Star's superb columnist, spent a year traveling with O'Neil, and this book lovingly recounts those trips. The book is about Buck, of course, but it is also about baseball and how important, powerful and enriching it is in our lives. Posnanski's writing is as light as cotton candy, and he not only brings Buck alive but also makes us realize how much emptier our world is without him. Highly, highly recommended.
Joe, are you sure about the 0 insde-the-park grand slams? I'm pretty sure I heard one -- in the Sonic Slam inning, no less. 2005 season, maybe?
REO was a pretty good band. In the 70s...
I'm pretty sure I heard one -- in the Sonic Slam inning, no less. 2005 season, maybe?
Wow, I think I would have remembered that had it happened. I've never even heard an out of the park grand slam during the Sonic Slam inning. The closest was when the Royals loaded the bases, scored on a wild pitch, and the next batter hit a three run home run.
Great to see Greinke pitching so well. Half the hits he's given up are extra base hits - that's a bit concerning. He was homer prone his rookie year. But if he's hitting his spots with pinpoint control as he's been doing, that shouldn't be too big a problem.
I remember one Sonic Slam Inning Grand Slam: Abraham Nunez off Mark Mulder in a game from August 13, 2004. http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=240813111
Post a Comment