Monday, April 09, 2007

Home is here I want to be

Yes, a long, long, long road trip will get me singing a Naive Melody. It runs in the family. My father, at the end of long trips would sing an obscure song (I believe by the Ugly Ducklings) called, “I Wanna Go Home.” Actually my father would sing a lot of songs ... one time, we played this game where you had to guess at lyrics from 1950s and 1960s songs. He knew every one. He knew like every word to "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance."

ANYWAY, I am finally through basketball and golf and bizarre coaching hires and can finally settle down to my real job, which means watching the Kansas City Royals season go up in smoke.

The first signs of that happened Sunday, when the Royals blew a 2-0 lead in the ninth inning when David Riske gave up a three-run homer to Pudge Rodriguez. It was the first heartbreaking loss of the season. More on that later … in celebration of the return home we’re going to try to do a sort of miniature version of a live blog during tonight’s Royals-Blue Jays game. We won’t be updating it every 15 minutes like that crazy Opening Day blog, but we’ll still try to have some fun as Odalis Perez and A.J. Burnett battle in “Baseball Night in Canada.”

See ya at 6:10 p.m. Central.

Obligatory Book promo: Oh, while you’re here, why not buy The Soul of Baseball, a book the Cleveland Plain Dealer (my hometown paper!) calls: “One of the best baseball book in years … Buy it for the inspiration inside, a perfect baseball book for spring.”

7 comments:

S.Karsten said...

I've been following this blog for a bit now, and liking every bit of it. But the Talking Heads reference? Maybe the greatest song about finding a home ever?

Home-is where I want to be
but I guess I'm already there


From a Tigers fan who knows a whole lot about what its like to be a Royals fan!

Old Man Duggan said...

Looking forward to 6:10.

Stubs said...

Your blog is what gets me these terribly long law-school-days. That, and being able to watch A. Burgos giving up three run bombs to Ryan Howard in day games.

Grew up in Iowa, but I have been reading your columns regularly since attending KU. Keep the blog going. By the way, love the book.


Since I am in school down here in Austin, I will be watching the Royals on MLB.TV and following your comments all evening.

Thanks again Joe P.--you're the best.

Old Man Duggan said...

Timothy, I, too, am a Royals fan in Austin. Weird.

This really is a great blog. There wasn't enough JoePo on the Star to feed the world.

Stubs said...

OMD,

That's very odd. Only been here since August, but I love it so far. I would actually considering moving here for good if the city had a major league baseball team. The Round Rock Express just does not cut it for me.

Ethan C. said...

The best part of the Pudge shot: Riske's explanation. Apparently, they though he was gonna bunt, and so he pitched it right down the pipe. That decision has more flaws than a five dollar diamond.

Old Man Duggan said...

Timothy,

Yeah, as I'm not a UT fan in the least, the lack of professional sports is kind of irksome.