Baseball in Verse, Take 1
In "The Soul of Baseball," we take a few wonderful quotes from Buck O'Neil and turn them into verse. It's not a new trick -- someone did an entire book of Phil Rizutto in verse -- but I think it is something that frankly isn't done enough. So as we approach Opening Day, we may offer a few baseball poems to inspire and get you ready for the season.
Well beat the drum
And hold the phone.
The sun came out today!
We're born again!
There's new grass on the field.
Ah-roundin' third. And headed for home.
It's a brown eyed
handsome
man
Anyone can understand the way I feel.
So put me in coach.
I'm ready to play.
Today.
Put me in coach.
I'm ready to play.
Today.
Look at me.
I can be. Centerfield.
Well I spent some time
in the Mudville nine.
Watchin'
it from the bench. You know I took
some lumps when the
Mighty Casey
struck out.
So say hey
Willie
Tell Ty Cobb
And Joe Dimah
Geo
Dont' say it ain't so
You know the time is now
Yeah. I got it. I got it.
Got a beat-up glove
a homemade bat
and a brand new pair of shoes
You know it's time to give this game a ride.
You got to hit
the ball
And touch
'em all
A moment in the sun
It's gone! And you can tell
that one
goodbye.
So put me in coach.
I'm ready to play.
Today.
Put me in coach.
I'm ready to play.
Today.
Look at me.
I can be. Centerfield.
- John Fogerty
No comments:
Post a Comment