Boras? He doesn't even know us!
A good friend of mine who is in baseball and has been around the game much of his life sent me a seemingly never ending spew of angry text messages on Wednesday. The messages, as you might have guessed from the Blog headline, involved Scott Boras.
A few of these texts went like so:
“How about writing on the mega-contracts signed by Boras clients (professional and amateur) and how they have panned out?”
“Seriously, what’s the incentive to give into Boras? His success rate has to be brutal.”
“Drew. Zito. Dreifort. Kevin Brown. Jeff Austin. Two teams are paying A-Rod, and the team that signed him went in the tank. Beltre. Damon didn’t get any mo …”
“re money than KC offered. Burrell. Rey Sanchez.”
“Beltran didn’t want to go to the Mets … they were the only team to offer that much money.”
“How about A-Rod getting 200 grand for making the All-Star Team? Apparently $25 million doesn’t include being an All-Star.”
“Travis Lee, Bobby Seay, Matt White … remember they all weaseled out of the 1996 draft? Those deals worked out great for Arizona and Tampa Bay, didn’t they?”
“Actually, he didn’t represent all of those draft guys at the time.”
“Chan Ho Park.”
And so on. There are more texts. (To clean up a few of the inevitable inaccuracies you will find in text messages … Boras doesn’t represent Burrell; I think Damon did actually get quite a bit more money than the Royals offered; the Beltran text about him not wanting to play for the Mets is conjecture though it may very well be true).
My friend can go on some serious text rants when something gets him riled up. Don’t get him going on Global Warming (no, my friend is not Al Gore – think of the opposite). Anyway, all day on Wednesday my phone buzzed, I would check it out, and there would be a text message that said something like, “And don’t forget about Rick Ankiel.”
Somewhere inside all those angry texts there may be an interesting question: Would a team be better off to simply avoid Boras clients altogether? Or more to the point: Do Scott Boras clients, by their very nature, have priorities and demands that make them more likely than usual to bust?
I have an opinion about this that I actually think might go beyond baseball a little bit. First, though, I want to say that I respect Boras for his many talents as an agent (hey, you never know, he might want to represent this blog). I thought I said this the other day, when I wrote a blog about Boras’ client Mike Moustakas, but apparently the sentiment got lost. I wrote there that Moustakas, the No. 2 pick in the draft, was (at best) a 50-50 shot to sign with Kansas City because:
A. The Royals insist they will not pay much above slot money (slot is $3.1 million).
B. Scott Boras clients, with few exceptions, do not sign for slot money. Scott does not even acknowledge the concept of slot money. You get the sense he couldn’t even say the word “slot” much in the same way Fonzie couldn’t say “Sorry.”
Anyway, the general points I was trying to make, in no particular order, were:
1. Mike Moustakas says he loves the game and desperately wants to play professionally.
2. I believe him.
3. However Mike Moustakas (and his family) signed with Scott Boras.
4. You don’t sign with Scott Boras – the biggest, baddest agent around – unless you want to play hardball and make the most money possible.
5. Therefore, Mike Moustakas might not play professional baseball (at least for the time being).
That was it. That was the whole blog. The last few days, though, I have received several responses (and comments) from fans and people around baseball who read the blog and seemed to think I was saying that:
1. That I agree with slotting draft picks.
2. That I think the kid should sign, and I’m an idiot.
3. That I think the Royals should offer more, and I’m an idiot.
4. That I blame the kid for signing with Boras.
5. That I think “Birds Fly (Whisper to a Scream)” is a great song.
Well, I obviously did not do a particularly good job on that blog. The truth is I don’t have any particularly strong feelings one way or another about slotting – I see why the owners and commissioner want slotting; I see why players and agents don’t. I certainly don’t have any opinion at all on either No. 2 or No. 3 – heck, I failed college accounting (maybe that’s what they meant by the “I’m an idiot” part). And on No. 4, I certainly don’t blame anyone for signing with the biggest, baddest agent around, the guy most likely to get you a great deal. I’m all for people wanting to get what they want out of life.
(On. No. 5: I don’t think “Birds Fly” is a great song. I think it’s a FABULOUS song – “We are, we are, we are but your children! Finding our way around indecision!”).
But now we move on to today’s question: Is Boras worth the hassle?
(No, first, we deal with another controversey -- is the Birds Fly lyric "We are, we are, we are, we're just children" or "We are, we are, we are but your children?" I've seen it both ways. I think it's the second, but someone needs to get Ian McNabb on the phone).
On the one hand, you can say: Hey, if you want to be a player and a real contender, you have to deal with Boras. Look around. The Detroit Tigers built their turnaround on the wings of Boras clients – Ivan Rodriguez, Magglio Ordonez, Kenny Rogers. Look what Johnny Damon and Jason Varitek did for Boston, what Carlos Beltran did for the Mets, what Greg Maddux did for the Braves (not to mention Andruw Jones), what Prince Fielder is doing for the Brewers, what Bernie Williams did for the Yankees, and none of this even includes ARod, Mig Cabrera, Matt Holliday, Mark Teixeira, etc. The argument here is that many of the best players sign with Boras, and if you want great talents, you need to play ball with the Agent of Doom.
On the other hand, you can say: Hey, look at all the flops. The disasters. Darren Dreifort signed a, what, $58 million deal and went, what, 34-37 over five years? Chan Ho Park – yikes, $15 million per year for 5.50 ERAs and higher. Brien Taylor’s career was knocked out in a bar fight. Jeff Austin never won a single game for Kansas City after holding out a year. Rick Ankiel snapped and is trying to come back as a hitter. Barry Zito – does anybody want to be stuck with THAT deal right now? They’re booing J.D. Drew in Boston (they’re not saying “Drew!” They’re really booing his .250-batting, no-power-swinging butt). They still can’t believe the catastrophe known as Jeff Weaver in Seattle. There are many other fiascos. The argument here is that the players who sign with Boras care more about money than the game and, as such, they are much more likely to flop, become pains in the neck, turn into Jose Rosado, etc.
Here’s where my “maybe this goes beyond baseball” opinion comes in: I think generally people will see what they want to see. This is not particularly new ground but take a look at this week’s New York Times Bestseller list. You will notice, right off, that The Soul of Baseball is not on there. Why? Maybe it’s because you didn’t buy the book. Did you buy the book? This blog surpassed the 40,000 readers plateau in the last month, and I have to tell you if all of you would buy a book, then it MIGHT be on the Times bestseller list. For certain that Amazon number would go up.
OK, sorry, lost my head for a moment.
Look at the NYT Bestseller lists and you will see a book by Al Gore and a book called “The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming” (not written by my friend, but I’ll bet he’s read it). You will see Barack Obama and Dick Morris, you will see the Pope’s discussion of Jesus’ identity as revealed in the Gospels and Christopher Hitchens on why God is not great. In other words, you will see any number of books that allow people to read exactly what they want to believe. Democrats read Frank Rich, Republicans read George Will, crazy people read Ann Coulter, it’s all very tidy, and it’s all very predictable.
I think there are just people in our society that, for some reason, represent something larger to us. Barry Bonds is like that. To many, many people, Barry Bonds represents the absolute worst in athletics. He represents selfishness, obnoxiousness, steroid-abuse and anything else that is wrong with sports. And there’s plenty of that in his record. Of course you also could point out that Barry Bonds is the greatest baseball player of our generation, that he carried the Pittsburgh Pirates to the playoffs three times, that he dragged San Francisco to the playoffs four times, that he played the game awfully hard and awfully well for many years – even his harshest critics have said he held out on performance enhancing drugs for the longest time while so many players around him used the stuff. Finally, they say, his ego couldn’t take it. And he became the greatest hitting machine in the history of history.
But none of that matters now. Bonds has moved beyond all that and become a symbol. He’s like modern art. People see him exactly the way they want to see him. Some see him as pure evil. Some see him as a victim. Some see him as a cheater. Some see him as a man who played by the rules of his time. Some see him as unworthy of replacing the class and grace of Hank Aaron. Some see him as a much better player than Aaron ever was.
Point is, it's all there. With Barry, you can see what you want to see.
And the same is true of Boras. If you want to make him an evil genius, a destroyer of the game we love or a defender of ballplayers, there’s enough in the record to back you up. I think when you go down the list of Boras’ clients, you will see enough head cases to poison the 1927 Yankees. You will also see plenty of difference-makers, player who could, with a little help and a little luck, turn around the fortunes of even the 2003 Tigers.
In other words, Boras is whatever you want him to be. I remember once reading two reviews, back to back, of the movie “Jerry McGuire.” The first review talked about how much fun it was, how uplifting it was to see that, even a sports agent, could find love and the meaning of sports.
The second review said something like this: “OK, so as best I can tell, this movie was about how one self-centered sports agent battled another self-centered sports agent for the right to represent a self-centered wide receiver, while Renee Zellweger whined.”
See, it’s all how you see it. I’ve always thought Renee Zellweger was quite hot.
40 comments:
For what it's worth, which is technically nothing: I think your point in the Moustakas column was entirely clear. Once you hit the 40K-reader mark, you're bound to have some Coulter fans in there, if you catch my drift. — Dean in Cleveland
Just a crazy idea, but maybe each baseball team should judge each Scott Boras client individually and make their own judgement about what he may be worth.
Zellweger workerd as a stripper at Sugar's Gentlemen's Club in Austin while a student at UT. Through the years she has tried to say she was only a "hostess." Sure.
"my friend is not Al Gore – think of the opposite"--Your friend is Dick Cheney?
I bought two copies of TSOB--I heard it would make a wonderful Father's Day gift--and it did. (Joe, if you won't make the blog about the book, I will).
This is great stuff. I've always wondered how Boras can get such huge $ for his players when there are teams out there who simply won't deal with him.
Joe, have you heard, and what do you think of, Boras' idea to move the World Series to a best of nine-game series, and play the first two games in a neutral ballpark? Clearly this would increase revenue, while simultaneously angering traditionalists.
Where do you stand?
The only thing I know about "slots" is that I told the mailman in "Charlie's Angels" that he could stick his package in my slot anytime he wanted.
America is supposed to be about "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness." Somewhere along the way, people started equating "happiness" with "making as much money as I can possibly make even though I have more than I know what to do with, even if it interferes with my true passion in life."
What makes me happy is buying and reading "The Soul of Baseball," and seeing "August: Osage County" at Steppenwolf Theatre in Chicago. The best book on baseball, and the best play I've ever seen.
***
It's a shame that Barry Bonds couldn't play in any of the games at Wrigley Field this week. Barry's got those bad ankles, and nothing is worse on your joints than that cushy natural grass at Wrigley.
I'm sure he didn't sit all three games because he would have been boo'd off the face of the planet.
Coward.
Great blog Joe,
To me, Renee Zellweger is always making a face like she just smelled a fart.
I think avoiding Boras is the strategy. First you'll avoid all the bad deals he's at the root of, miss out on the few good ones.
That way you're ahead and your competitors are dealing with that mess. You'll at least be healthier having much less stress in your life having not dealt with the *dark one*.
However, I wouldn't publicly confirm this strategy. Just never take one of that nudnicks calls when he's trying to instigate a bidding war at the 11th hour.
Boras is not opposed to making a good deal for both player AND team, however. especially when pushed by the player.
look at Matsuzaka this spring and Varitek a couple of years back. decent if not WAY over the top deals that both players pushed because they wanted to sign.
i agree that a kid just drafted doesn't have the same juice as a seasoned pro, but at some point they have to be responsible for their own actions.
if their first decision as an adult is to have Scott Boras be their agent they are saying something there. like when Britney jumps in the ocean in her undies. she's saying something.
i don't like renee, but i am in the heather graham camp.
i am also at work right now listening to Slayer.
Scott Boras once tried to represent the best check-out counter employee I had at Whole Paycheck Foods, but instead of reaching a 4 year deal worth $30,000 per season, I traded the guy to Wheatsville Co-Op for a tub of bean curd and box of Vegan Delights Snak-Bites!
Also, Joe, did you see where my fellow vegan friend from Cleveland, Congressman Dennis Kucinich, has been hospitalized with food poisoing? I think either the FTC or Central Market are behind it!
Joe, I also felt your first post on Boras was quite clear. I also entirely agree, so maybe that's why it was so clear, I don't know.
As for dealing with Boras or not dealing with Boras, I think that a team should sit down, look at the holes they need to have filled, and determine how much money they are willing/able to spend. Each team has different ways to go about this, but in the end it is all the same. How much are you willing to pay to plug the deficiencies on your team?
After the saga that was the Beltran signing I became convinced beyond a doubt that Boras is not looking out for his players as much as he is looking out for only himself. His goal is not the best deal for his client, but the biggest number for the headlines, which will make him look like a negotiating badass to everyone else. If i remember correctly, the Astros and Mets were offering the same number of years guaranteed, and the final dollar value was only like 5 million or so over the life of the contract. If the Astros were offering 120m and the Mets 125 (just e.g. since i dont remember the actual values) Boras had Beltran sign with the Mets because the reported amount was bigger. But if he were really looking out for the player's best interest, he would have taken the Astros deal. There is no state income tax in Texas and the cost of living in Houston is well below that of New York. Adding the fact that Beltran seemed to want to stay there and you have to wonder upon what the final decision was based.
Before this comment gets as long as one of Joe's posts I want to add one thing. The MLBPA should be furious about agents trying to get players more than slot value. They should demand a strict pay scale for draft picks. This accomplishes the objective of an amateur draft by taking signability issues out of the way and ensuring that the best new talent goes to the teams that need it most. It also protects the interest of Major Leaguers by keeping draft picks off the 40 man roster and minimizing their share of an organization's payroll. You would think the union rank and file, the journeymen who are just waiting to get that last day of service time to vest a pension, would be clamoring for a change in draft pick compensation.
It would take agents about five minutes to file an anti-trust suit or similar if baseball tried to impose strict limits on bonuses. Why would it be in the player's interests to ever agree that owners could set salaries for anybody?
This is the United States. The only things that should determine how much a person gets paid are his/her own talent and the market. That's as true for baseball players as for computer programmers and waiters.
People act like Boras kidnaps his players' families and holds them hostage until the player does what he says. Nobody but Carlos Beltran made Carlos Beltran sign with the Mets.
On the Zellweger issue, I always thought she looked like she just ate a lemon while perpetually staring into the sun. Usually I think Hollywood types who get eye jobs look ridiculous, but in her case I think it would be an improvement.
I believe that Boras is not a true "agent" in the most strict definition of the word, since there are abundant examples of him not operating in his clients' best interests. That said, I believe the Darwin principle applies here. (Aside: I live in Kansas. Am I allowed to mention Darwin, or did I just commit a crime?) Specifically, if his clients are too stupid to recognize that Boras may not have only their best interests at heart, I really don't have much pity for them if they get screwed.
As far as the clubs dealing with him are concerned, they're all big boys. If they choose to ignore Boras' stable of clients to avoid the headaches and inflated price tags, more power to 'em. If they choose to dance with that particular devil, it's not like they didn't have ample notice in advance that things could go south. Quickly.
could not believe what you wrote about Mike Moustakas and his family. I have known them for a few years, and had you taken the time to speak with them, I sure you would have cleared up some of your inaccuracies in your article.
First of all, Mike consulted with Mr. Boras in Sept or Oct 2006, well before his accomplishments in the 2006-2007 baseball season, and did so at the high recommendation of his uncle who coached most of the former players who now work for Scott Boras.
Also, had you taken the time to get to know this family you would understand that he is a sincere kid who loves the game of baseball and who has not faultered in his desire to play and to play for the Royals. His only fault, maybe, is that he has been upfront and truthful, however you have made he and is family out to be greedy and liars. I take offense to that. Mike and his parents have opened their home to reporters and more recently to reporters from the Kansas City Star, and to be treated as though they were money hungry, liars and not trustworthy is an outrage. Mike's parents have always put academics first with all of their children and have supported each one of them in their dreams and goals, and being that it is Mike's dream and goal to play major league baseball, then that is what they will help him to achieve. If you think for one minute that he was able to get in to USC on his baseball ability only, then you are sadly mistaken. My suggestion to you is to get your facts straight, and my suggestion to Mike and his family would be to stop talking with everyone.
:lol:
You have issues with reading comprehension, Anon.
BUT, I do believe this: When you sign with Boras, it seems to me that you relinquish the right to play the “I love baseball, and I would play it for free,” card. I don’t have any doubt that Mike Moustakas lives to play baseball, just as Sam’s article says. But, plainly, he doesn’t love it enough to play it for anything like $3.1 million. That’s why he hired Scott Boras.
I DON'T BELIEVE I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH READING COMPREHENSION. The above reference in that article is plain, and by the way it is my understanding there is more to a contract than just a bonus
Dear Mr. Anon:
Posnanski's post: fair and balanced (if that phrase hasn't been hacked to death by FOX TV).
Your reactions: Completely off-target.
Plus, he can spell.
agreed. Mike's friend totally missed the point. As JoPo says, it's all how you see it. Nobody is upset with Mike. We're upset with Boras not letting Mike sign until he squeezes every last diem out of the Royals.
I don't have a problem with Boras making insane financial deals, that's his job. I have a problem with him holding players out, manipulating people and not looking out for the health and happiness of his client FIRST.
Once you've made a million, the rest of the money is icing, who cares? It's all about ego.
Anon, I don't think you have a comprehension problem either. It may be that more of the "greedy bastard" vibe is coming from the comments rather than the original blog post, though.
I find it amazing that people think players and their families, often with zero legal experience, should use their local attorney or their well-read uncle to deal with teams that spend hundreds of thousands of dollars per year on negotiation specialists. The kids are signing away their professional rights for as much as 12 years - 6 in the minors, 6 more in the majors before they're free agents. For many it will be much less, but that's the legal limit. God forbid they try to determine what that's worth on their own, rather than simply accepting what MLB and the team say they should.
jim h and other anonymous: Really? People sure seem to be upset with the kid for daring to choose Boras.
MM can sign a contract with the Royals anytime he wants.
I don't see anybody telling the owners that they only need to make a million per year. KC knew who was advising MM when they picked him.
I think somebody already referenced the quote: "Whenever I say it's a game, you tell me it's a business, and whenever I say it's a business, you say it's a game"
As Waits said, the Royals knew who they were drafting when they drafted him. If they were looking for an out, they got it. If they were looking for a great draft pick, they got it. But there were plenty of other directions they could have gone, and they didn't take any of them.
As for how baseball teams would do if they stopped dealing with Boras clients.... well, let's just say that Boras has as much negotiating leverage as the NL East. At least. On top of the biggest civil action lawsuit in the history of sports, he'd have a pretty impressive collection of talent with which to start his own league.
And I don't even like Boras. I think I mentioned that before, too. But I just wanted to qualify it again.
I don't hate Boras per se, I just don't like the way he conducts himself. He becomes part of the deal. Axelrod and the Hendricks Brothers know how to play hardball without coming across as a snake.
The guy burns bridges like no-one else. He torched the Dodgers with no notice on the J.D. Drew opt out this offseason, and looking back they may thank him.
He made Tom Hicks look like a fool on the Arod deal. He screwed Drayton McLane on the Beltran talks, and the WhiteSox won't even deal with him. Those are 4 teams his players pretty much have to cross off their list. That's bad representation. His 11th hour negotiating tactics are borderline ransom drops.
Also, Tom Hicks and Drayton McLane are smart men. Hicks just isn't a smart baseball man. You can't screw billionaires over and think it won't catch up with you.
Lastly, Boras as advisor/consultant to highschool kids strikes me as patently creepy. I picture him at diamonds hustling young kids who don't any better. Kind of a baseball version of To Catch A Predator sans Chris Hansen.
I can on an on....
Hicks continues to deal with Boras. The Red Sox felt burned by Arod/Boras before he went to the Yankees, but still signed Boras clients after.
Some teams may refuse to deal with him, either with pros he represents or amateurs. Willingly cutting yourself out from some top talent may save you aggravation from Boras, but you're going to have to work harder to find it elsewhere.
@ the friend of the KC Royals #1 Pick.
Let's not argue semantics or engage in platitudes. We're all stocked up here.
Why don't you gift your buddy a copy of the Soul of Baseball. I think it'd be a great gift and he'd thank you. And if he signs with KC, I'll bet Joe will sign it for him! How bout that!
@ Tom Waits
Hicks continues to deal with Boras because the Rangers can't develop pitching. Bless them, they just can't. Name the last decent pitcher the Rangers developed? You have to go back to Kevin Brown. When they do have one coming up, his horse holding lacky GM deals them away - see Young, Chrs and Danks, John. Also, like I said before, Hicks' #1 lacuna is baseball. He knows bad radio and how to make a billion dollars at that, but baseball, not so much. He and I are also alumni of the same school. He picked Mack Brown as UT's coach so he isn't always wrong. Baseball is his bizarro universe. See his latest inverview and you will see a man cracking. Also, he's second fiddle to Jerry Jones and the Cowboys. But don't expect him to engage Tex in talks. I think he learned when he was burned the second time around.
Astros owner Drayton McLane is the opposite. He has guys who help him with these matters. He's lacking in the GM dept. now though. During the Beltran talks McLane cut short a big business trip to personally oversee the deal. He wanted to sit down with Boras AND Beltran in good faith. Ha! He wanted to see if Carlos wanted to be an Astro, be the new face of the franchise, etc... Boras refused all meetings and never returned McLane's personal calls. Wow. God forbid a smart man talk to his brainwashed client. Boras called the Astros at the 11th hour. When the Astros agreed to 7yrs, he called back looking for nine with more player options. McLane was smart enough to walk. He's not one of the biggest individual shareholders of Wal-Mart (not named Walton) for nothing. He's also in the trucking business and probably dealt with the mob a few times. He smelled the shakedown Hicks didn't or can't. It's also telling how the Astros have moved on since. Also telling they traded away Wily Tavares - the only Boras client left on the roster, as a throw in. Also telling that the Astros have the 2nd best record in the NL since he took over in 1993. The man is smart and hates slime balls. See, Lugo, Julio. Even Tony LaRussa has remarked that the Astros are the classiest ballclub, See, 3 Nights in August.
The Red Sox and Yanks can afford to deal with him - and sign several horses in his stable. But after the Damon deal and Drew deal, both, if they're smart, have to look long and hard at future dealings. Yeah, Arod and Dice-K balance those two jabrones out. But 50/50 on that type of money isn't what those GM's are paid for.
I think the thesis stands. Avoid Boras and you're ahead of the game. Like Vegas, you got a built-in advantage.
As for avoiding him; put the money in scouting and metrics. Hell, give the front office folks a few bucks and benefits. As a GM you'd earn much more goodwill.
Also, is it telling the A's never deal with him or his draft picks?
Add the A's to the list.
I tend to wonder why it is okay for an owner to refer to baseball as a business and a player needs to refer to baseball as a game when it comes time for negotiations. I also tend to wonder what happens to the money given to the last place teams by the other franchises (25-35 million)which is given for player development to help those teams? the key word is player development and free money, so the bottom line is the owners are not spending their own money. Does it go back into their pockets to help make them billionaires? Just a thought. It appears all these comments are basically "Boras" bashing. You fault a person for doing his job, but praise the owner for doing his. Sounds a little one-sided. Use the free money to get the talent, which will bring in the people to watch, sell more apparel, etc. That's good business. I think the ego comment is a bit misplaced. It goes both ways.
As far as the comment about hustling high school kids, take a look at his list of clients and see how many he has and how many high school kids he represents. If a high school athlete is very talented, doesn't he have a chance to make it to the big leagues, or is that option open for veteran players? Maybe they deserve the best representation, since "their college eduction" , among other things, is at stake and needs to be addressed when negotiating a contract. Lastly, you need to look at the big picture. Mr. Boras seems to be the only advisor/agent who fights for those rights, while the other advisor/agents sit back and reap those benefits. They let Mr. Boras do what they should be doing or helping with anyway, so I guess you could say he is paving the way for the others and the players.
Oy.
The blog post was pretty clear that Joe wasn't angry with the kid, nor did he begrudge the kid the right to hire (arguably, depending on how you define it) the best agent in the business.
He simply said that, having hired Boras, he probably shouldn't claim to be playing merely for the love of the game. Boras' tactics and results are well-known and speak for themselves. The reality, of course, is that is true of every single professional ballplayer - they all get paid to play. The vast majority do love the game (Jeff Kent aside), but they also want to get paid.
Look, probably my favorite player is/was Bernie Williams, a Boras client. If Bernie had played the "I'd play for free" card, I'd have laughed my ass off, because such an assertion is absurd. Boras played the Yankees and Red Sox off against each other and secured a massive contract for Bernie to stay in the Bronx. I don't blame Bernie for that at all. But again, it would've been comical if he'd claimed that money wasn't the issue.
In my post I was not singling out one athlete, I was merely trying to make a point. I believe that any high school, little league, etc. player does play for the love of the game, and hopefully that attitude continues. When you talk about someones future (job), they should get paid, and I do not believe that MLB has the right to dictate who gets what. My understanding of the draft is not where a player is picked but what the team is looking for, i.e. talent, character, intigrity. All of those combined is what makes a ballplayer a better ballplayer. Would this attack by the Royals beat writer been written had he been advised by another advisor/agent? Please don't say that he would have already signed. I look at the player draft and see that not all those drafted have been signed, and not all of those are represented by Mr. Boras. I think this person should have taken the time to speak with the player and his family before making assumptions. Merely an observation.
Attack?
Assuming that's a fair characterization of what Joe wrote (and I don't think it is, unless I missed something), obviously Scott Boras is a more... controversial, shall we say, figure than any other sports agent (that I can think of, anyway). He's been very successful at what he does, and he has a take-no-prisoners approach to negotiations.
Anybody who follows baseball closely knows this. Anybody who hires him knows this. They hire him because he's got a track record of securing large contracts for his clients. Boras shows them the money (and/or other contractual bonuses of whatever type - no-trade clauses, etc).
I'm not a Royals fan. I don't know this particular ballplayer. I'm just calling it how I see it, and I've got no dog in this hunt.
@ Dan Rather
Add the A's to the ever-changing list of teams that don't deal with Boras except when they do, or don't really like to deal with Boras but swallow their anger to get the player they want, or wouldn't deal with Boras if he didn't represent the only pitchers they wanted, or dealt with Boras in 2003, 4, or 5 but didn't last year and therefore are clearly finished with him? That list?
Anybody think Purpura will be under orders to trade Hunter Pence if he goes with Boras? Somehow I imagine they'll find a way around that "problem."
Boras doesn't make a player overpaid. The people who pay the player make him overpaid. A team should evaluate the player, decide what he's worth to them, and stick to it.
I don't know this player either, however as a parent I find it offensive to attack someones character when they don't even know him and/or use this kid as a tool to demean Mr. Boras. I find it amusing that all the other advisors/agents sit and wait to see what will happen to the Boras clients, then they act. No one bashes them, they only get to reap the benefits and rewards. My suggestion is the money these teams get from being in last place (by the way it is 35 million), go out and get the best players available to help draw the crowds and increase your revenue.
A friend of mine saw this kid play and had nothing but good things to say, but mostly an all around athlete and great personality. He said he saw kids coming up to him and his teammate and they both gave the kids hugs and signed autographs. Pretty classy I think, and yes I believe he and other high school kids are and have been playing "FOR LOVE OF THE GAME"
Don’t get him going on Global Warming (no, my friend is not Al Gore – think of the opposite).
And how does he feel about the moon landing?
I do not understand your comment Chrisv82, however I do have to wonder if there is a little hostility there.
In reading some of these posts I have to wonder that with all of the athletes that were drafted and have not signed (not all Boras clients by the way), if the clubs have even attempted negotiations or are they waiting for the August 1 trading deadline. Food for thought.
This comment doesn't beat the Zellweger one, but ... Scott Boras is pretty much the devil. Period.
You must mean the devil's advocate. As someone stated earlier, Boras does all the dirty work and the other advisors/agents sit back and let him take the heat because they didn't have the guts to do it themselves. Say what you will about Mr. Boras, but he at least has the guts to stand up for what he believes in. By the way, why is all the sympathy on the owners? Giv eme a break. Most of them like to play the "No money" card.
I seriously doubt anybody here has any sympathy for the owners. I certainly don't!
Boras having "guts to stand up for what he believes in" is hilarious. I respect him for his ability to do his job really well, sure. But "standing up for what he believes in" only really works if you're trying to say that Boras believes in money. Which I'm sure he does.
As do the other agents, no doubt. Boras is merely the best. He's the big dog.
Anyway, you're convinced that the author of this blog "attacked" Mike Moustakas' character. It does not appear I'm going to convince you otherwise. I don't know why I bothered trying, really. Joe laid it out very reasonably and clearly and you managed to misread it.
Wrong anon. I do not even know this player. Anyway my point is, negotiations work both ways, and unless I am mistaken there is more to a contract than money. What about provisions for education? I understand he has a scholarship to USC. Also, a friend of mine was drafted last year and I read his contract. There are some things in there that protect the owner and not the player, and these are not just little things. Some of them were just ridiculous. If you know someone who has been drafted see if they will let you read the first contract that the club sends. I think you might see things in a different light. Also, I don't believe that Mr. Boras needs the money. He handles bigger names. I feel everyone should be open minded and see what happens. If this kid gets more money, good for him. He is signing his life away for a lot of years
P.S. I read more of this blog and it makes me wonder if Joe, who clearly loves his job, would offer his book for free? He sure appears to be promoting it alot in his articles. I can bet that he has an agent who does all of his negotiations. Would he give up his craft for free and not protect himself?
Tom Waits, you posted long ago and will never ever read this, but, fyi-nobody can sue baseball for anti-trust and win. An exception in the Sherman Anti-Trust bill was carved out for Professional Baseball. I have no idea why that was done, but that is why throughout baseball's history, the union has become so much more important than in other sports. The union was the player's only avenue to increased compensation, much more so than in other sports. It also didn't help that many mlb owners were greedy pricks.
Post a Comment